RandomLemming

Best glasses frame for skydiving ?

Hi all,

I'm about to do my AFF course in Spain. The one concern that I have left (that I am able to do something about) is my glasses. The school assure me that jumping with glasses isn't a problem, but as I am about to get new ones, I thought I would ask for some advice.

Can anyone recommend the best kind of frame for fitting under goggles ? At the moment I have a pair of Nike frames, and ever since Vision Express in the UK wrecked them, they tend to fall off my face a lot (climbing, etc.)

I am also looking at sportx goggles, but I've not been able to get hold of them on the phone, so I'm not sure if they can ship to the UK, or if they can even help with my prescription.

Thanks in advance :)

My favorite frames are the ones that go in your eyes.

I bet that stings at first ;)

No, seriously, I've been trying to find a contact lens that works for me for about 10 years now. I'm too clumsy for anything other than disposables, but I've never been able to wear those and I must have tried 5 different types.

My main malfunctions are my astigmatism and the fact that my eyes are quite dry - defective tear ducts or some such thing. So glasses it is for now.

I was looking at sportx.com and found their live contact button (very cool) but the delivery to the UK sounds a bit too long.

I use sportrx goggles. They have alll kinds of frames. I just go for the basic 101 model in clear polycarb. The lenses are terrific, but you do need to take care of them. The "frames" are not super durable. I usually get 3-4 years out of a pair.

I tried wearing goggles over glasses and never had much luck. Very uncomfortable.

Have fun with AFF!!!
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

My favorite frames are the ones that go in your eyes.

I bet that stings at first ;)

No, seriously, I've been trying to find a contact lens that works for me for about 10 years now. I'm too clumsy for anything other than disposables, but I've never been able to wear those and I must have tried 5 different types.

My main malfunctions are my astigmatism and the fact that my eyes are quite dry - defective tear ducts or some such thing. So glasses it is for now.

I was looking at sportx.com and found their live contact button (very cool) but the delivery to the UK sounds a bit too long.

In recent years lenses have got much better, I have terrible astigmatism, but have been able to get soft lenses that are very easy to wear, as for the whole dry eye things, unless you jump somewhere with a cessna that you have to pedal, longest you have to wear them for is an hour.

Get a trial pair of contacts, so much better, that is of course until you loose one at 10000 feet, thats fun :)

BOOM Headshot

Prescription sports goggles are the way to go. Sprtx is one good brand, but there are others. Glasses under goggles can be uncomfortable, and smaller frames can be squirrely with the peripheral vision. Contacts can blow out. I've tried all 3 methods. Invest in the prescription goggles; you won't regret it.

Silhouette brand frames are what I use. They are VERY flexible, and retain their shape after being squished....fit under goggles (flex visions, flex z's and grateful freds) really nicely, plus you get to pick whatever lens shape you wish.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Adidas make skydive (sport) goggles with prescription inserts. I have used them for about six months now and they are the best and most comfortable I have jumped with so far. I use multifocal specs and have the exact presciption in my inserts so it is exactly as if I were wearing my specs with sunglasses.

i bought some SportRX goggles just before i went on AFF - great investment - you just need to remember to take your specs in your pocket so you can put them on when you get on the ground, unless you want to walk around in your goggles in the packing area :P

If you are going to Spain soon, call Sport RX, order them and get them to ship it straight to the AFF school you are going too. I can't remember exactly how long it was but the turnaround is quick - maybe a week or so?

Enjoy AFF!

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I have just gone through my free trial on contacts after asking a similar question, and I suffer exactly the same as you, astigmatism, dry eyes etc. But they have bought out these toric lenses in daily disposables for astigmatics and so far I have been doing ok with them. I don't however wear them when using VDU as my eyes really dry up and you have to really limit the time you have them in (max 8hrs).

And putting them in was nowhere near as bad as I imagined it would be (in the past I have nearly fainted when I saw a work collegue taking some out!)

The goggles they use for AFF students with glasses might bend your frames. Your instructors will need to manipulate the goggles to make sure that they are on correctly. They have to be on correctly so that they are safe to skydive. I have small frames and my glasses were still bent (not broken) at three dropzones. I would wear my extra pair of glasses for AFF lessons. Maybe this will not happen in your case. A suggestion is to get a cheap pair of glasses to wear while going through AFF. You should still get the nice glasses you need but wear your cheap ones while jumping. After you finish your course you can look at other options for jumping with glasses.

Hi there

I would suggest that you try either a nice small lens size in a strong flexible frame using a material such as titanium.

Brands available in the uk include

Silhouette

Lindberg (Air / Rim / Strip) titanium frames

Flexon and Nike (who use flexon material as well) ....

Many designer brands also use titanium in their ranges ...

If you do not go for these then you will need at the very least a frame with a spring hinge ....

Alternatively there is a version of the "old nhs" round frame that comes with a curl side (very handy for staying on your face) ... But not very trendy looking.

Several manufacturers make sport frames which can be glazed

Oakley - but these can take a while and cost a reasonable amount

Adidas - make a glazeable insert that fits their sunglasses - good and relatively quick

Rayban do an opthalmic range (easily glazeable) ...

Norviles make a sport insert as do several other lesser known companies - check with any reputable optician and they should be able to point you in the right direction ...

Otherwise PM me with your location and i'll try to give you someone who can sort you out locally ....

Regards

James ...

Are you me? Just check in the mirror would you?

I have woeful astigmatism (as well as being short-sighted) and I tried disposables last summer. When they worked they were... OK. It was nice, having worn glasses my entire life, to get some idea of what it must be like to have normal vision. But the visual acuity from a bit of damp plastic was not as good as I would have liked.

However, it turns out that I have dry eyes (like Chuck Norris, I never cry. Ever.) Consequently, if the lens rotated a fraction with blinking (which it did - a lot) it would produce a worse result than no lens at all - in one eye, and it wouldn't rotate back again, because it was stuck to the eyeball. This absolutely BUGGERS your depth perception, which is not at all what you need.

The best thing about the foray into contacts was that they were free for a month, and there was an offer of half price glasses as a 'backup'. I bought a pair of tiny titanium frame Fila rimless glasses. There's no hinge to break - they just fold. They fit under the tiniest of goggles and because the arms fit close to my temples, there's no gap for air to get in. I cancelled the contacts and kept the half price glasses. Thanks very much.

Regards
John

Your best bet, which has already been mentioned is to get prescription goggles. I don't beleive contact lenses are reliable when your eyes are moving all over the place. Something I noticed noone mentioned here, and perhaps I am just clumsy but I have lost goggles on jumps before and once your goggles are gone your glasses/contact lenses you were wearing underneath them will probably also go.
So unless your prepared to buya new pair of glasses and goggles, just the goggles is easiest and cheapest in my opinion.

Racketball glasses have served me well for my last couple of thousand jumps.
They may look a bit geeky, but they are the only frames that I have found that tolerate the abuse of students "lovingly" slamming my head into the door frame.
Can anyone suggest equally durable, but more stylish frames for prescription lenses?

Are you me? Just check in the mirror would you?

Just checked - looks like the bloke I normally see there. not sure if it's you. Please send 2 credit cards as ID and I'll get back to you. Or me. Now I'm confused.

I have woeful astigmatism (as well as being short-sighted) and I tried disposables last summer. When they worked they were... OK. It was nice, having worn glasses my entire life, to get some idea of what it must be like to have normal vision. But the visual acuity from a bit of damp plastic was not as good as I would have liked.

That's pretty much what I found when I tried them. It was fantastic not having these smudgable things on my face getting spotted and wet in the rain, etc. The downside was that I couldn't see as well. That wasn't a downside I was comfortable with. Then the troubles started with them rotating out or drying out and sticking - that was just too much.

However, it turns out that I have dry eyes (like Chuck Norris, I never cry. Ever.)

Wow... Hero! :D

Consequently, if the lens rotated a fraction with blinking (which it did - a lot) it would produce a worse result than no lens at all - in one eye, and it wouldn't rotate back again, because it was stuck to the eyeball. This absolutely BUGGERS your depth perception, which is not at all what you need.

I can live with mangled depth perception when walking down oxford street. When approaching the ground at too many miles per hour, I'd actually like to see it coming in a way that allows me to decide when to flare. I was hoping for a visual signal, rather than impact ;)

The best thing about the foray into contacts was that they were free for a month, and there was an offer of half price glasses as a 'backup'. I bought a pair of tiny titanium frame Fila rimless glasses. There's no hinge to break - they just fold. They fit under the tiniest of goggles and because the arms fit close to my temples, there's no gap for air to get in. I cancelled the contacts and kept the half price glasses. Thanks very much.

Cunning! So all you've got are the arms attached to some lenses ? My worry there is that with -6/-5, I would have pretty thick looking glasses. My frames help to hide some of that. I guess my other option is the ultra thin lenses, but those cost an arm and a leg and I get micro scratches on lenses with no effort at all.

Does the titanium spring back after being under goggles ?

I currently have a set of Nike flexon frames, but vision express wrecked them. So I'm getting new frames as a result (or a jail sentence - watch this space). I might just risk the Nike's under goggles and live with any discomfort.

I'm also going to order a set of SportRx goggles, but I doubt they'll get here in time.

Hi

I have vision (well, I call it that) in the -5 range. The advantage of small lenses is that they are thinner at the edge. I think I was talked out of high refractive index plastic (by the dispensing optician) on the grounds that it would be unnecessary and would make the lens/arm joint weaker. I'm pretty careless with glasses, but these are really strong and I haven't managed to scratch them yet.

I've looked into getting prescription goggles in the past but have resisted. Blind as I am, I'd have to either carry a pair of glasses around with me as well as the goggles, or walk to the plane/from the landing area still wearing the goggles. Dorky. And although I haven't yet left my goggles at home/on the ground, if I did I could always borrow a pair. Finally (until I think of something else) if so inclined you can have tinted goggles for bright days and clear ones for duller days.

John