bigway

Edit a PDF document?? And faxing with skype.

I am wondering if this can be done and how this can be done. As a gear distributor, this would save me a fortune in money in sending faxes, paper costs and time.

For an example of what i am trying to learn/find out is, If i was to download an order form from a manufacturer and instead of printing it off and then writing in the colours,measurments etc and then scanning it or faxing it back to them... I would like to just be able to open the document and type in the answers on the given spaces and then email it off.

Is this possible?

If so, could someone explain to me simple easy to use and affordable software i would need to purchase to accomplish this.

I would appreciate your time of anyone who could explain this to me please.

If it cant be done, then it should be done.

I have read mixed results through google.

Another thing i am interested in is sending faxes through skype. Does anyone know how to do this and what is needed? On the skype website it gives a link to their partner site that does this but the link does not work.

Cheers.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

It can be done, but probably not in the way you think. The only way a PDF file can be used like a form is if it is created that way using Adobe software (an example is the electronic federal IRS 1040 forms). But most PDFs are saved as a 2-D vector graphics from another application (like MS Word), so you can't treat them like a form - you have to think of them more like a picture, and editing them is more like photoshop, where you need to paint over a given area.

I've had some success with Foxit, but it's a squirrely application, often rewriting text with nonsense or leaving parts of the page blank. It is free, though, so give it a shot. But you need to annotate ad-hoc, which means you need to point to the exact area you want to add text (it doesn't highlight the textbox like a web form).

Another option is use a bit-manipulation program, like Gimp (also free, but requires Ghostscript to work with PDFs), or Adobe Illustrator (not free). These tools are more for people that like to tinker a lot with software - if that's not you, then don't bother.

Don't know enough about Skype to comment on the faxing.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Actually, i just found exactly what i want. It is called Nitro. Pity it costs $99 though. But yes it edits everything on a pdf form. I was suprised after i have read so many forums saying you can to do it.
Here is a link of what i found. I downloaded the rial and am pretty impressed. http://www.nitropdf.com/promotions/editing_a.htm?gclid=COfy-Y_h8JICFRwbagodDG-05g

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

This is funny. I'm having a related issue.

I'm all set up to file my designs for patent when I come to the point where is says it needs all drawings and documents filed in .pdf form.

Screeching halt.

I had to email them to a friend, and he converted them for me at his office. Pain in the ass.

Let me know how that nitro works.

I have found it pretty good at the moment. it seems to do everything i have been able to think 'what would i want it to do'. I have just downloaded it but so far so good. I am 90% sure i will purchase it if my manufacturers will allow me to fill the order forms out like this. They dont all have an ordering system like A-tools.;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I have been using Adobe Acrobat 8 to fill in the PDF's of my college applications. Works okay when you use the type writer function. You basically just make a text field and write into it.

That's what I do too.

I believe the EULA for Adobe Acrobat allows installation on two machines. If you have a friend... (hint hint);)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I'm all set up to file my designs for patent when I come to the point where is says it needs all drawings and documents filed in .pdf form.

Screeching halt.

I had to email them to a friend, and he converted them for me at his office. Pain in the ass.

Let me know how that nitro works.

I've been using some trial version of a Windows printer driver which prints to a .PDF to get stuff to people who can't process the original (example: 2005 Tax Cut income tax records). Something like $19.95 for the production version.

(My laptop is not Windows)

"Produced by xxx trial version" shouldn't be a legal impediment to filing if $19.95 is too much (in which case the filing fees definitely will be)

Also note that it's less expensive to file provisional patents which hold for a year. You may be better off filing the provisionals and only getting full patents for ideas that generate enough commercial interest.

If all you need is the ability to print to PDF files, CutePDF Writer is free and works great. (Silly name but a very functional program).

http://www.cutepdf.com/

But for what bigway needs, I am not familiar with the functionality of free programs, I've only ever used Adobe Acrobat Pro to do what he wants).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The best solution to this is if the manufacturers use a PDF creating software, such as Adobe Acrobat Proffessional 8 to create proper PDF forms, that you can easily fill in using Adobe Reader.

I probably sound like an Adobe sales representative, but if I knew about other and better PDF editing solutions, I'd recommend them. I use Adobe Acrobat myself, so I know how it works.

When it comes to editing PDF "forms" that don't have fields that you can edit on the computer, I'd say it's not a good solution at all. Some PDFs have text that can be copied and pasted into other documents, and with those, I'd try the PDF editing software that has been suggested here. It might hurt the layout, though.

Some PDFs might be "locked" for editing, or be just a picture of the text. And with those, it's OCR if you want to edit them without a pen. NOT recommended.

Again: I'd talk to the manufacturers. They wouldn't even have to buy the software or learn how to use it, they could pay someone to make a PDF form for them.

Also: some businesses require signatures on documents, especially orders, and then you'd still have to use the fax or scanner. But proper PDF forms would make things easier and more readable for everyone.

I hope this was of any help!

:)
PS: there might be some things that are impossible to do on a computer, but with text there are very few limits.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

don;t know about the fax thing from Skype but I use www.myfax.com and you can fax right from your email not a bad price if your intrested in that and no need for a incomming fax line as the faxes get email to you in PDF as they come in.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I had similar needs in addition to needing a sheet fed scanner, so I bought a Scansnap s510($400) which comes with the full version of Adobe Acrobat 8(usually about $275). That little bugger will scan a pile of documents in seconds and the addition of having the full version of Acrobat is a real bonus.

Then I use Maxemail.com for internet based faxing. It's very cheap and you get your own dedicated fax number where you can receive faxed and they show up in your email account as a .pdf attachment. You can fax both .doc and .pdf documents from your account.