dimbohall

Checking over a second hand rig

Seriously, get someone that does not need to ask such a question to do the checking! There's a fair bit of money dependant on the outcome of the check, and it'll be your ass hanging under it.

There are no individual tips, just check everything thoroughly.

edited to add: If I were to jump a rig i knew nothing about (and wasn't demo, borrowed etc), I'd get a rigger to also do a 'quick check' as 2 pairs of eyes are better than one. The same goes for new gear.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Hi all,

I know this should ultimately be done by a master rigger, but can you give me some hot tips for things to look out for:

The rig is a 1998 vector 3, tempo 150 reserve and sabre I 150 main

Best 'hot-tip' I can give you, since I can't see the rig first-hand. Get it to a rigger... Master or Senior. They may (more than likely not) charge for checking-out the rig for you. To point-put all the things to look for would take too much page length. A rigger can also tell you if the asking price is fair or not, also. This is one reason us riggers are 'out there'. Good luck.

Chuck

It shouldn't need a master rigger, but any current, competent rigger. There are some important questions to ask though: How many jumps on each canopy and the rig? Where was it jumped (desert, beach, grass...)? Has it been in storage? If so, how/where? How many jumps on the main lineset...? Does it have an AAD? if so, what is its history?

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Answer this poor guy's question!! Perhaps he cant drag a rigger around with him everywhere and the owner is not willing to give the rig to a stranger.

What are the basics to look for? You don't need to be a rigger to look over a rig. Any competent skydiver should be able to inspect the equipment we depend our lives on.

I'll start you off......Look at the main risers, look for wear around the grommet area (wear may suggest that equipment has been subjected to some hard openings), look at the 3 ring release and make sure there are no dents or nicks in the metal, look at the harness webbing and look for worn or fraying bits, check the condition of the riser covers and the tuck tabs, look at everything and ask loads of questions.

Good questions to ask are: No. of jumps on container? Packed indoors or out? Home drop zone of user ( climate conditions play an important role, I would prefer to by a container with 500 jumps from a someone in the Midwest than from someone from Eloy), is owner a pond swooper, has the container ever been wet.....

in reply to "Answer this poor guy's question!! Perhaps he cant drag a rigger around with him everywhere and the owner is not willing to give the rig to a stranger. "

Yep get a rigger check if you can......otherwise ;) use some common sense......and do some comparisons.

What is your first impression of the gear.?
Does it remind you of a dressed up 2nd hand car? or does it have that pre-loved and cared for look of a quality motor.

If you can ...get hold of the newest gear around and do a direct comparison.

Is the metal work bright or tarnished?
Check the main suspension lines at the connection to the risers. This is often where the first wear shows.
Are the lines impregnated with metal dust and dirt?
Another place is near the outer edges of the PC pouch.
Is there any sign of fraying at all?.....anywhere??
Any loose threads?

To do a proper check you are going to have to dump the reserve and check every stitch on the whole rig.

Most reserves will appear as if new cause they won't have had much use. Ideally the F111 should still be shiny.
If it looks faded with dirty lines ...forget it.

When you dump the reserve do a full cut-away reserve deployment. Are the c/a cables smooth and kink free?
Measure how far the reserve pilot chute goes when deployed from a standing position.
10 feet is OK....a dribbling drip down the back of your legs is not.

You may be getting the idea that a professional riggers check is not such a bad idea and usually money well spent.
Do yourself a favour and find one.... in person:)

Ask the seller basic questions like how many jumps, where and how many cutaways for the main and reserve rides. Keep in mind the main and container may not have always been together.

Big clue to the age of the container is any fading in the colours (looking under the reserve flap is a good place to see fading). Also look for scuffs/damage from bad landings and handling.

For the main canopy look for frayed lines and the colour. Dust/dirt gets in the lines over time. If they are yellow/brown they have probably done a lot of jumps (although a dusty environment will make them look like this quicker). Look at the warning label on the canopy. Is it still crisp and bright or so warn you can't read it any more. This is a big clue to jump numbers for the main.

If what you see doesn't match what the seller is telling you, walk away. My advice is, if you find one thing that doesn't add up (like they say it has 200 jumps but the condition says 500+) then what else are they lying about?

Any experienced jumper (by which I mean several hundred jumps) should be able to help you out. Ask them to take a look. There is never any harm getting a second opinion.

Have fun searching

Blue skies

Paul

Answer this poor guy's question!! Perhaps he cant drag a rigger around with him everywhere and the owner is not willing to give the rig to a stranger.

What are the basics to look for? You don't need to be a rigger to look over a rig. Any competent skydiver should be able to inspect the equipment we depend our lives on.

He has to find a rigger and really ensure the gear is sound. There's skydivers out there with a thousad jumps who can't even pack their own parachutes, much less give advice to some new kid about what to buy.

And, I don't care how many jumps I get or how long I'm in the sport, when it comes to gear purchases... I'm getting a rigger to look it over. I even pay a local rigger to go over a NEW geat purchase.

He may not be able to drag the rigger around, but if he's considering a rig, there has to be one close enough by to pack the reserves every 120 days.

If it's a used rig from another state or country, I'll have it shipped straight to the DZ, ATTN: Rigger, who'll know it's coming and why.

There's some things to draw the line at; IMO giving instruction on how to inspect equipment over the internet is one of them.

Let me give you a example of why...

I'll start you off......Look at the main risers, look for wear around the grommet area (wear may suggest that equipment has been subjected to some hard openings), look at the 3 ring release and make sure there are no dents or nicks in the metal, look at the harness webbing and look for worn or fraying bits, check the condition of the riser covers and the tuck tabs, look at everything and ask loads of questions.

So, what did he learn? Here's another example....

Good questions to ask are: No. of jumps on container? Packed indoors or out? Home drop zone of user ( climate conditions play an important role, I would prefer to by a container with 500 jumps from a someone in the Midwest than from someone from Eloy), is owner a pond swooper, has the container ever been wet.....

Yeah, cause God knows somebody really broke and motivated to sell is gonna be forthright about... Or even if they are; may be a second-hand purchase for them and they may not know the answers.

Nope. Answer remains the same...

Newbie buying new gear = rigger inspection.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.