Squeak

Man there's a lot of ads on Every page now

Anyone here care to reveal the forum software used on this site?
I'm shopping for forum software....:P

i have no idea what any of that means:D:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

To all of you, wah wah wah. Cry me a river!!

To HH, you can please some of the people SOME of the time, BUT not all of the people ALL of the time.

Go with the flow people, go with the flow.....

Sheeesh bunch of freakin' wet blankets.
If you can't read the size of the font, get glasses, if the Ads are too distracting, take some ADHD medicine (or something comparable.)
Bobbi

I love you!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I don't like the additional ads much either, but every other site seems to have 5 ads per page :S

Given a choice, I can live with all the ads, but I really would like to have the space back on the left column.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The new 'look' is aesthetically unpleasing

Agreed, and I'd be suprised if the ads even brought in that much money. If it does though, props to HH. Gotta make money somehow I guess. Who cares if it looks tacky.

I don't think Sangiro is doing it to make money. Most likely doing it to at least break even. If he's not getting enough premium membership fees to cover the cost of maintaining this site and the exorbitant memory space it requires, he has to find other ways to bring in revenue, hence the ads...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Agreed, and I'd be suprised if the ads even brought in that much money. If it does though, props to HH. Gotta make money somehow I guess. Who cares if it looks tacky.

I don't think Sangiro is doing it to make money. Most likely doing it to at least break even. If he's not getting enough premium membership fees to cover the cost of maintaining this site and the exorbitant memory space it requires, he has to find other ways to bring in revenue, hence the ads...

I'm curious how much it is to maintain a message forum site.

I'm curious how much it is to maintain a message forum site.

Me too... Now I feel bad having never splurged for the premium membership what with all the shit I give the mods... [:/]:D

I think I'll pony up, once I find out where to send the money. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Given a choice, I can live with all the ads, but I really would like to have the space back on the left column.

What would you do with this space? Was it so useful to you before? Oh my god you have to adjust your eyes to the right ever so slight to read a post now. What will you do?
I'm sure in time you can find it in you to glance ever so slight to the right to read posts as you have done in the past.
I was able to accomplish this amazing act in approximately 1 second, earth second. I'm sure everyone on these forums can accomplish the same, but it appears it is going to take some of "us" a lot longer.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Dropzone runs on a dedicated cluster of servers for the front end and backend SQL. You have to remember that DZ.com is more then just the forums. Its also unique email accounts for every user and the associated bandwidth and storage needed for that, its the articles, its the videos, its the photos and the rest of the features.

Here is a post from 2004 that outlined the hardware purchased for the site: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1343964#1343964

2 Application Servers: Dual Opteron Processors/2GB RAM (per machine)

File Server: Dual Opteron/2 GB RAM

Mail Server: Dual MP 2400/1 GB RAM

Database Server: Dual Opteron/2 GB RAM

Total count in 2004 was 5 dedicated servers and those have been upgraded a lot since then too. Low end servers today are roughly $1000 each to purchase, add in a few hundred more each for the SQL space and the addtional RAM in each server.

Looking around at one of my favorite low cost hosting sites they want roughly $300 a month per server that you provide to host it and to provide items like monitoring and backups on their network. Dedicated environments like this cluster could be more if it goes over the bandwith allowed.

Figure the cost of the software for the CMS on this application was anywhere from a couple of hundred to a few thousand dollars for the purchase and on going support of it.

If I had to guess... $12,000-20,000 a year plus start up costs of $7000-9000 and then additional money for other upgrades from time to time also.

Dropzone.com isn't your mom and pop bulletin board or website that gets 200-300 hits per day, in the last 24 hours there were 2700 users signed into the site and an unknown number that were not signed in. In the last 30 days there was almost 9000 unique users that signed into the site and a large amount of people that were not signed in and browsing the site.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

now, since this hasnt only bugged me around here i did a little research and came up with this!

doesnt clean up all your internet only from commercials, but also has an inbuilt spell-checker and i dont know what not!

pretty fucking cool!!! B|B|B|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

OK, I'm hardly noticing the new ads, but the spelling offense in this thread title is driving me nuts. :P

it was meant to be ADDS, as in Additions

OMG Phreezone changed the title WTF for:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's a pity I didn't keep one of the old dz.com .css files, I could have configured my browser to use that instead of the new one and I'd have the old dz.com back.

Is that something you could get by doing a google cached search or one of those web history sites?

Is it embedded into the page code or just linked?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.