Andy_Copland

Rosetta Stone (Language Software)

Anyone else tried this?

I have downloaded it (i love torrents) and i've spent about 30 mins doing simple German.

I figured i knew about 10 words in German which is 5 more than i know in any other language, also being born there influenced my language choice.

Anyway i have to say its brilliantly structured and even a moron like me is learning after only 30 minutes. I can tell you if the boy was In, Under or On the plane :D:D

Great program.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

You're probably right, since being on the colonial side my English has gone to shite. :ph34r:

We haven't affected your English that much or else it would have gone to shit.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I mistook a Hindu for a Muslim, chased him down the road with a bible in one hand, wearing my Bush T-shirt and firing a pistol from the hip.

At least let me keep my language!

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Its the best thing I've ever used to learn a language, besides years of college courses (why did I pick German and not Spanish?)

I'm not fluent, but my Spanish is much better now, which is very important for me.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I mistook a Hindu for a Muslim, chased him down the road with a bible in one hand, wearing my Bush T-shirt and firing a pistol from the hip.

At least let me keep my language!

great comeback, luvin it.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I'm seriously considering purchasing the program for Spanish. I know some, but I want to learn more plus my grammar really sucks. I always struggle with the verb tenses and this program is supposed to teach you that more naturally, correct? Sort of the way a child learns?

I was thinking of trying russian with it. How much was the program?

He mentioned torrents, so I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say, er, free?

I did the same thing about two years ago, and downloaded complete series of Japanese and German - I usually listen to one of each for 1/2 hour every day. My German has gone from poor to mediocre. My Japanese has gone from non-existent to being able to order sushi - strangely, I don't always get what I order :D The learning curve is much, much longer when you start out older. I hope to get my kids doing it very early, and often speak short phrases to them in different languages.

I would also like to hear if anyone has a comparison of Pimsleur to Rosetta. Rosetta is usually the best-rated, but I've never used them.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Yup. I don't think about what I want to say, how to say it, what the verb tense is, etc. I simply say what I want, for the most part. I had fought really hard to learn Spanish before trying Rosetta Stone, now its easier to converse, although I still can't read Spanish for anything.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Its the best thing I've ever used to learn a language, besides years of college courses (why did I pick German and not Spanish?)

I'm not fluent, but my Spanish is much better now, which is very important for me.

No kidding, probably half the dickwads you arrest these days are Hispanics... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am happy to hear that people are finding this program working for them. I have a friend that just bought all 3 levels for French and he is loving it. I am really considering learning Chinese. As for the cost, if you buy all 3 levels on line, it comes to $500, but if you go to the booth at a mall, they like to give a better deal and it comes to about $400. At least that is what my friend was able to get it for.
"Political change which ran ahead of social and psychological development was at best useless and at worst dangerous."
--George Eliot

I have the whole spanish series, just no time to practice it. The CPA exam comes first, and I haven't even found time to study for that soooooooo...

Luckily my sisters boyfriend works for them and I was able to get it 50% off. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I can't compare, but I'm doing Pimsleur's Thai because I can listen to it on my 45-60 minute commute. It takes me about a week per lesson but I listen to the radio too. If you are not going to be a captive audience like me, I wouldn't recommend listening to the CDs. I probably would have shelved it for lack of attention span. But, that said, I'm thinking of learning another language after this one the same way.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

You can usually find them on Ebay for cheaper than that. People finish them and then sell them.

Interestingly enough, Rosetta Stone has a not-for-resale clause in their license agreement, and seems they enforce it out on eBay.

Last year I bought RS-German on eBay for about half the list price, although it was an earlier version. (I assumed the German language hadn't changed much since 2005, so why not?) Once both of us were alerted to this, the seller fully refunded what I paid her thru Paypal. But then emailed me telling me to keep the software since she had no use for it anyway.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

It looks like now's a great time to buy directly from the website.

They are having special offers on sets: Save $109 on any Level 1 & 2 set. Save $208 on any Level 1, 2 & 3 set.

When you check out, it will automatically plug in code "Set123". Remove this code. The price will stay the discounted price.

Then enter code: emc038a

This code will save you $50 on any Level 1, $80 on any Level 1 & 2 set and $100 on any Level 1, 2 & 3 set.

I just bought the Spanish (Latin America) Level 1 & 2 set. B|

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Hey- thanks for the heads up! I think I am going to get Latin American Spanish, levels 1,2 & 3. Of course, then I am going to have to force myself to set aside time to work on it. B|

I want all 3 levels because I've been studying Spanish on and off for a while now. I'm probably at a more intermediate level with my pronunciation and vocabulary, but need more basic grammar. I really do want to reach a certain level of proficiency- I'd like to be able to have actual conversations, not just order meals. Not to mention, a second language could be useful for work.