alanab

Colorado People! (backpacking help)

I think Katee had been talking about resuming her quest to climb the 14'ers in that state now that she's back to living there. Not exactly backpacking, but it's a start... :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've done a lot of backpacking around Colorado. When are you going? For how long? Willing to put up with snow? How about high altitude? How Far are you willing to drive from Denver? Taking Dogs?

One of my favorite backpacking trips close to Denver is the hike up to Crater Lake in Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. You can either start at the Monarch Lake trailhead near Lake Granby, or at the Long Lake Trailhead near Ward. If you start at Monarch Lake, you'll have a nice walk up next to a beautiful creek with a lot of waterfalls. If you start at Long Lake you have to climb up and over Pawnee Pass (~12,500 feet) then drop down into Crater Lake. The campsite at Crater Lake is one of the most spectacularlly beautiful places I've ever been. Lone Eagle Peak rises up out of the lake into beautiful spire. Be forewarned though...unless you go after late July, you'll probably be dealing with snow. Espically with the winter we've had this year, and espically if you start at Long Lake and go up over Pawnee Pass.

Another favorite, but you have to make the drive down to Durango, is hopping on the Durango-Silverton Railroad and getting off at either Needleton or Elk Park then spending a few days in the Weiminuche wilderness area. It is spectacular down there. I've made a number of trips and keep going back. And there are 3 fourteeners you can climb if you are so inclined. Again, snow might be an issue if you are going before July. See the pics below...

There's also good backpacking in Rocky Mountain NP, Great Sand Dunes NP, Lost Creek Wilderness, Rawah Wilderness, The Collegiate Peaks, And there are a lot more options...

RMNP is nice. I went to Pear Lake once...marvelous.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I'm not in CO but I do have a good resource for backpacking there.

Call Mary.

She only kept my phone number up to the time of free tunnel time, then the number was tossed:D

Alanab, there are tons of great places to go in Colorado. I suggest heading to REI and grabbing some maps and talking to them. If you want to head out some weekend, drop me a line, but it will have to happen very soon. I have a feeling I'm not going to want to put my backpack on after I get back from my month long trip with the Bytch in July.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey