PLFXpert

Pets: Rescue or Store/Breeder Purchase?

I want to open up this topic to discuss in its own thread.

It's clear many of us here enjoy our pets & sharing pet stories. I've noticed, however, there is often an underlying divide between those who rescue and those who purchase from a breeder and/or pet shop.

To be clear: By "rescue" I'm referring to adopting an animal (usually also for a small fee) from a local shelter (Humane Society, Animal Care & Control, or breed-specific previously owned, abused or discarded animal society).

I'd like to hear views from both rescuers & purchasers--specifically, why you rescue vs. purchase and vice-versa.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I'd side with rescuing or buying from a reputable breeder. I'd never buy from a pet store or mill-type operation.

That said, I'd opt for a breeder if I were after a specific breed for a specific reason- ie wanted something that had good lineage to show in conformation, or needed a purebread for an interest in AKC sanctioned events.

I wasn't "that" person, so I adopted 2. I found two dogs with personalities I liked and that would work for my lifestyle. Sometimes the dog's personality is more important than its breed, honestly.

Ok I have to add my .02 here. Buying from a reputable breeder and buying from a pet store should not be grouped together.

Pet store dogs come from puppy mills.....

Having said that, both my dogs were rescues. But I have no problem when people go to a good breeder to get a good dog. Good breeders will take the dog back from the people if there is a problem. I have serious issues with these damn stores selling dogs with out making sure that the home is a good fit for that breed.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

All 3 of our girls came from a local Re-homing Centre. Initially, it just felt like the right thing to do and we are very happy with all of the,
We never wanted 'show' dogs so it didn't matter to us that were not Kennel Club registered, we simpley wanted family pets.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Ok I have to add my .02 here. Buying from a reputable breeder and buying from a pet store should not be grouped together.

Pet store dogs come from puppy mills.....

I understand your point.

But, lumped they shall remain!

B|

I have four cats right now, and they are all "rescue" cats.

But I used to have a Bengal cat that I bought from a reputable breeder. And at that time, I did not want "a cat"; I wanted a Bengal, so it's not like she took the place of a cat that could have been rescued from the shelter. I wanted a special breed, and that's what I got - a cat that would play in the water with me and that I could take on walks with me (not to mention how beautiful she was).

Anyhow, after she disappeared, I considered getting another Bengal. But by then, I decided I would feel better about adopting some cats that otherwise might not find a home. (Didn't mean to end up with four of them, but here they are!)

I've also considered breeding Bengals, but I couldn't get past the fact that I would be bringing more cats into the world when there are already so many strays. (Though they are really f**king cool cats!) And since I bitch at people who don't get their pets fixed, it would be awfully hypocritical of me to be a breeder.

Anyhow, that's my two cents on the subject.

As always, I love reading your response! :)

I've also considered breeding Bengals, but I couldn't get past the fact that I would be bringing more cats into the world when there are already so many strays. (Though they are really f**king cool cats!)

You got me. :$ It was the Bengal thread which inspired me to begin this one. (I agree; they're fucking cool cats! And just type "fuck" already. Geez! :P)

Still, I personally would not think of purchasing one--even from a "reputable breeder". I might one day consider rescue provided my home was a good fit.

I am 100% for rescue animals and I shake my head at people who buy from breeder/store/mill (unless you are showing).

OK, now I'm confused, since you said this in the Bengal/Toyger thread:

"If I were to ever get a cat again it would be a hard choice between a purebred seal point siamese and a bengal."

Or is it that you would plan to get a purebred animal from some sort of rescue shelter? Like an older animal that was no longer wanted?

I am 100% for rescue animals and I shake my head at people who buy from breeder/store/mill (unless you are showing).

OK, now I'm confused, since you said this in the Bengal/Toyger thread:

"If I were to ever get a cat again it would be a hard choice between a purebred seal point siamese and a bengal."

Or is it that you would plan to get a purebred animal from some sort of rescue shelter? Like an older animal that was no longer wanted?

Yes, I would rescue one, but not neccesarily an older one (although I'm not opposed). You can find young purebreds of anything if you look hard/long enough. :)

Knowing the breed and level of conformance I wanted, I opted to get Minka from a reputable breeder. Both her parents were Am.Ch. and had all the important health checks, and I bought her on a spay contract that has since been fulfilled. For those who are more flexible with regard to what they want, I think rescues are absolutely the way to go. I do not advocate buying from a pet store, backyard breeder, puppy mill, or other unethical/inhumane source.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

You can find young purebreds of anything if you look hard/long enough.

Absolutely--or wait long enough (nearly every shelter has wait lists for specific breeds).

but not neccesarily an older one

I actually meant to adopt an older one and ended up with 1-year-old Cruz (his age at the time, and that wasn't his kennel-name). I also meant to adopt a smaller dog. But, I'm sure some others will understand when I say: Often you don't pick them; they pick you.

Anyways, I'd really love the next new member of the Fuzzy Butts to be older--like four to seven years.

:)

You can find young purebreds of anything if you look hard/long enough.

Absolutely--or wait long enough (nearly every shelter has wait lists for specific breeds).

but not neccesarily an older one

I actually meant to adopt an older one and ended up with 1-year-old Cruz (his age at the time, and that wasn't his kennel-name). I also meant to adopt a smaller dog. But, I'm sure some others will understand when I say: Often you don't pick them; they pick you.

Anyways, I'd really love the next new member of the Fuzzy Butts to be older--like four to seven years.

:)

I would like to adopt or be a permanent foster for one of the senior boxers they have at the rescue here.

I've had a lot of cats in my lifetime and I've got 3 now. 2 were given to me by friends who had cats that had a litter of kittens. The 3rd found its way to me after being dumped at the dz and left to fend for himself.

Any new feline family members have to be kittens because its just too hard to bring an adult cat into a house with other cats. I've tried- it isn't fair to the "new" cat or my "old" ones. They are much more willing to accept a small kitten.

I'd like to hear views from both rescuers & purchasers--specifically, why you rescue vs. purchase and vice-versa.

Last year that was a choice that I had. My 22 year old Scottish fold cat died (non-folded ears). Over those 22 years, I had adopted 4 other adult (sometimes older adult) cats.

I love the way the Scottish fold breed looks and the disposition. When I got my Scottish fold, they were a relatively new breed and not as popular. Ones with non-folded ears were free; they’re not free any more. I was willing (& able economically) to pay for the cat I (thought I) wanted and intended to fly to the breeder to personally bring a new kitty home (in the passenger cabin).

I couldn’t do it. I wanted a pet – not a show animal or a working animal. Why? Knowing the number of cats and dogs that are abandoned each year, it was a choice I couldn’t pursue. That was the right choice for me; others will choose to buy pets & that’s fine for them. I also donated the money that I would have spent to the cat rescue from whom I ended up getting my lil’ gray tabby ‘mutt’ kitty.

Otoh, my aunt has a working ranch in Colorado. She has pure bred dogs: a Caucasian Ovcharka, a Central Asian Shepherd, and a Great Pyranees. Each of the dogs has specific traits that complement the others. They're working livestock guardian dogs; they’re not pets.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I'm getting ready to do a psudorescue. I was informed of an elderly couple who need to get rid of their 2 2year old cats due to the husband having health issues. If someone doesn't take them soon then they'll have to go to a shelter. So I see it as a pre-emptive rescue. :)

As someone who is getting a new dog (tomorrow)I vote rescue.I found Tucker via a German Shepard rescue society and I'm very excited to have him as a part of my family.I cant wait to pick him up tomorrow.Although I have disagreements with puppy mills and pet shops I do not have a problem with breed-specific rescue societies and the local humane society/shelters.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

I couldn’t do it. I wanted a pet – not a show animal or a working animal. Why? Knowing the number of cats and dogs that are abandoned each year, it was a choice I couldn’t pursue...I also donated the money that I would have spent to the cat rescue from whom I ended up getting my lil’ gray tabby ‘mutt’ kitty.

Yea! I agree--while there are certain breeds of animals I love, I row in that same boat.

They're working livestock guardian dogs; they’re not pets.

And so important to note, some breeds are very happy to be just that! OTOH, it's sad to think of this type of dog in someone's backyard with nothing to do, and never much attention. The latter happens when people love a breed, but don't first research the breed's disposition. So, when it's mischievous in the house, they eventually put it outside and forget about it. [:/]

Although I have disagreements with puppy mills and pet shops I do not have a problem with breed-specific rescue societies and the local humane society/shelters.

Me, neither. :)
I adopt from humane-kill shelters, but am not opposed to no-kills. In fact, Best Friends Animal Society is on our list of places in the near-future to vacation. :)

To me, there are so freaking many unwanted pet animals in the world, to breed, buy from a breeder, or buy from a pet store doesn't make a lot of sense. There are rescue groups for every concievable breed of dog, cat, rabbit, bird, rodent, and even large animals out there, so it's not hard to find a rescue in whatever breed strikes one's fancy.

I have a houseful... ball python, greyhound, rottie mix, cattle dog, 3 cats, and a rabbit. They are all rescues, so I definitely practice what I preach.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda