RevJim

More Excel help

Ok, I've always been really good at computer hardware and software trouble shooting, but never bothered to learn a damn thing about Excel. I'm totally lost with it. I need help, cause I really need it right now...

Ok, here's what I need to do. It's probably simple, but like I said, I'm clueless.

I need to be able to input a few fields, sort by any, and be able to total one.

Fields:
1. Company (sort alphabeticaly)
2. Account number (sort by number)
3. Amount (Sort by amount and be able to have a total. Running total would be nice.

That's it. Anyone?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Ok, I've always been really good at computer hardware and software trouble shooting, but never bothered to learn a damn thing about Excel. I'm totally lost with it. I need help, cause I really need it right now...

Ok, here's what I need to do. It's probably simple, but like I said, I'm clueless.

I need to be able to input a few fields, sort by any, and be able to total one.

Fields:
1. Company (sort alphabeticaly)
2. Account number (sort by number)
3. Amount (Sort by amount and be able to have a total. Running total would be nice.

That's it. Anyone?

All I can help you with is 3. To total the amount of a certain area of a column, highlight what you want totaled and hit the summation key (looks like a big E) twice and should produce the total beneath the data that you input. Hope that helps!

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

For the sorting if you have the information in columns you can use a custom sort and then have it sort first by company then account number then amount or any way desired.

I'm not sure how you have the amounts configured and want them totaled but you could create conditional formula (using some IF functions) to total each category. I'd have to see how it was laid out but I think one could be done. There may be an easier way....
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Thanks everyone for the help so far. FYI the info isn't even laid out yet. It's sitting here next to my laptop in a pile, and I need to get it in and sorted fairly quickly. Is there a way to type this stuff on one line, or one field, whatever, and have it inputed automatically? If not, I got a lot of click-n-type ahead of me.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

If it's the same company & account number you can simply highlight the two cells and copy them. Then highlight the cells where you want the additional instances of the information to be and paste them in. That'll save some time. Then you just have to manually input the amounts.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Have a scanner? OCR it so it gets converted from an image to text, save it as a text file.
In Excel, on the Data menu, point to Import External Data, and then click Import Data. In the Files of type box, click Text Files. and open it up in Excel. You may have to play with the space delimited.

If you give up and type:

CTRL+' (apostrophe) Copies a formula or text from the cell above.

Cursor on the bottom right side of the box (until you see the +) and drag copies that cell to all lower cells.

Sorting: http://www.mrexcel.com/tip093.shtml

Running Total: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061004074402AAytdeQ
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.