Bodyflight.Net

Do you believe in Ghosts/Spirits

There you go again with that closed mind.

Are you saying that there is no such thing as a sixth sense? Some of us can smell a con artist a mile away, while others fall into his trap.

It sounds like you are saying that no one has any special talents or gifts that other people do not possess.

Closed minded fool! How do you know that Nigerian General isn't really going to give you $5M?!?

Seriously though, what you are talking about is a difference in the way peope think about certain situations. Some people are sceptical, some people are credulous. The person who gets skinned and the person who sees the trap are both working with the exact same sensory information - you don't need to look into the soul of a con artist to know he isn't on the level.

You really do use the strangest, most irrelevant examples and analogies sometimes.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Closed minded fool!

Back at you.

Seriously though, what you are talking about is a difference in the way peope think about certain situations. Some people are sceptical, some people are credulous.

Your problem is that you are a self important, high minded athiest,and anything that shakes your little world that doesn't have a provable explanation, just doesn't exist.

You deny the possible existance of such things as ghosts, spirits, souls, demons or angels because it goes against some internal resentment against an unprovable force that some of us choose to call God.

I have shown up at a friend's house, unannounced, after not seeing him for months, and the first words out of his mouth was, "You're not going to believe this, but I couldn't get you off of my mind yesterday."

Likewise, out of nowhere, I had decided, the day before, to go see Jimmy.
There is no scientific explanation for such things. They can only be explained by some sort of energy, call it what you will, that currently cannot be measured.

I can't tell if you guys are having fun with this topic any more.

I guess I can't read minds.

But in any case, make it more clear to me by not even pretending to make personal attacks against one another.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sometimes I get these strong intuitions that a certain thing is going to happen. and then it doesn't happen as I predicted it would.

How do you explain that??? Where did that energy/intuition come from?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

You deny the possible existance of such things as ghosts, spirits, souls, demons or angels because it goes against some internal resentment against an unprovable force that some of us choose to call God.

No, but thanks for the dimestore psychiatry.

I have shown up at a friend's house, unannounced, after not seeing him for months, and the first words out of his mouth was, "You're not going to believe this, but I couldn't get you off of my mind yesterday."

Likewise, out of nowhere, I had decided, the day before, to go see Jimmy.
There is no scientific explanation for such things. They can only be explained by some sort of energy, call it what you will, that currently cannot be measured.

No, you are completely wrong. It is explained by pure coincidence, well within the realms of probability.

For every time that happens, how often have you turned up to see someone who hasn't been thinking about you? Most of the time, right? You just cannot look at the occasional positive result in isolation and use that as proof of something. It does not work that way.

It would be like me calling 5 coin tosses in a row and deciding I can predict the future, completely ignoring all the other coin tosses I have called wrong in the past.

I would strike the word physical (an equally misused term in this regard) from your definition.

If a system isn't physical, it's unphysical which I suppose is quite fitting for the concept of spiritual "energy". But even so, I didn't make up my own definition of the word energy, the one I gave is the definition. The fact that you want to change that definition pretty much makes my point for me.

The fact that you want to change that definition pretty much makes my point for me.

That's not changing the definition, there are other definitions or concepts of energy that have been around several thousand+ years and while different cultures have called it different things it's all the same IMO.

If you don't believe in it or have never felt it then of course it is all just primitive debunked claptrap. As a society we think we're so clever and we are, for we have conquered space, plumbed the depths of the ocean, built machines that allow us flight (some of us make our own way down ;)), made microscopes that allow us to see things at molecular level etc etc.

Despite all this, what makes us think we're in anything other than the same situation as the forefathers of our current left brain thinking society. Yes we know a lot more about a lot of things but all we know is what we know. To a certain extent you need to suspend your beliefs about a lot of what you know as fact to accommodate views like this, and I understand an unwillingness to do this, there is no logic, science or method in it.

Anyway, what prompted me to post despite not posting to this thread again, relating to my earlier post about monks surviving the night 15,000ft up a mountain using meditation. Here's another application of the same technique in the news today -

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Story?id=4393377&page=3

extract from an interview -

Question: So what do you focus on or think about when you're submerged in ice, for example?

Wim Hof: When you are cold in your house, you put the heat on. That's energy. So I produce energy.

And I leave you with this, not sure who said it best so here's both -

"Don't think..... feel" Bruce Lee
"Feel......don't think" Qui-Gon Jinn

yeah baby I'm a jedi B|
but what do I know

Sometimes I get these strong intuitions that a certain thing is going to happen. and then it doesn't happen as I predicted it would.

How do you explain that??? Where did that energy/intuition come from?

what you don't ever know for sure is that...
the sheer fact of having said impression or intuition altered your behavior (or sometimes awareness is all it takes) in even the smallest way which can change the outcome of the situation. I also think its possible that things like this often hit the wrong people.. perhaps you were sharing someone elses experience.
and perhaps it's all just coincidence too...
what you didn't say is if you are ever correct with your intuitions? not the same as a guess by any means.

and to the skeptics...

it has been proven scientifically that the body can exist without the mind...
why are you so certain, without any proof, that the mind can't exist without the body?

it has been proven scientifically that the body can exist without the mind...
why are you so certain, without any proof, that the mind can't exist without the body?

It's also been proven that wheels can roll without being attatched to cars. Why can't cars roll without being attatched to wheels?

that's the best you could come up with?
hmm... looks like we're finally wearin you down:ph34r:

(btw wheels DO NOT roll without energy from an outside source, inanimate objects are like that, terrible comparison to the human body or mind. now if one of your "wheels" lifted itself up off the ground and started rolling without something visible to initiate the movement, then that's another story)

>:(I don't understand at all what's happened in this thread.
It really started as a simple yes or no question.

Clearly I sparked some curiousity and A LOT of animosity. EVEN a MOD is cussing and/or insulting people in this thread (unbelievable), along with a dozen others here. I can't figure out for the life of me why the skeptics are so protective/defensive/afraid of their feelings in regards to the topic... but MORE than that... I can't figure out why the skeptics tend to be so hateful, insulting, disgusted & completely and nearly enraged by the fact that some of us DO believe. We aren't hurting you.

I find it interesting as well that hardly anyone who does believe; in this thread, didn't spend their time trying to convince others. They simply volunteered to share their experience with others, and left it to others to understand what they will.

To the VERY few skeptics who are intellectual about it, and NOT insulting...you know, those of you who tried talking to us, not down to us, those who cited references as opposed to insults. I thank you for your contribution to the topic, I appreciate your patience and look forward to additional learning experiences in the future.

that's the best you could come up with?

It's all I needed, though I don't think you understood it.

When you say it is scientifically proven that bodies can stay alive without the mind I assume you are talking about brain dead people on life support.

OK. Many of the body's functions are more or less automatic and can run on standby with little or no input from the brain. The heart will keep beating without input from the brain, and with a ventilator keeping the lungs moving and the blood oxygenated there's not much more that you need. That's how the body is.

Consciousness is different. Consciousness comes from the brain. It is generated inside the brain with neural connections and chemical reactions. Without a working brain, you've got nothing.

So, the body can keep going without the mind, but the mind cannot exist without the body (more specifically, the functioning brain).

Clearly I sparked some curiousity and A LOT of animosity. EVEN a MOD is cussing and/or insulting people in this thread (unbelievable), along with a dozen others here. I can't figure out for the life of me why the skeptics are so protective/defensive/afraid of their feelings in regards to the topic... but MORE than that... I can't figure out why the skeptics tend to be so hateful, insulting, disgusted & completely and nearly enraged by the fact that some of us DO believe.

Hmm, perfect case of seeing what you want to see there!

Clearly I sparked some curiousity and A LOT of animosity. EVEN a MOD is cussing and/or insulting people in this thread (unbelievable), along with a dozen others here. I can't figure out for the life of me why the skeptics are so protective/defensive/afraid of their feelings in regards to the topic... but MORE than that... I can't figure out why the skeptics tend to be so hateful, insulting, disgusted & completely and nearly enraged by the fact that some of us DO believe. We aren't hurting you.

I find it interesting as well that hardly anyone who does believe; in this thread, didn't spend their time trying to convince others. They simply volunteered to share their experience with others, and left it to others to understand what they will.

You're on to something here. I have my theories as to why this happens, but I'll refrain as it is bonfire. This trend is very common in SC.

You're on to something here. I have my theories as to why this happens, but I'll refrain as it is bonfire. This trend is very common in SC.

I also have a hunch as to why this is - probably 1 & the same... I'm finding it increasingly difficult not to comment on this, but alas this is bonfire.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I think it is overwhelmingly likely that there is other sentient life somewhere in the universe. It's a really, really big universe.

I don't think it's flying round Kansas butt-raping hillbillies though, if you were asking about UFOs.

You're on to something here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, just selective reading.

Keep telling yourself that and someday you just might convince that inner voice you are battling with.

I'm quite at peace with my beliefs. I have no need to convince anyone.

What amazes me is that you've been alive for a smidgeon of time, yet you have it all figured out to the point that you feel comfortable telling others how wrong they are in their beliefs. You'd be surprised what goes on outside your little world.

EVEN a MOD is cussing and/or insulting people in this thread (unbelievable), along with a dozen others here.

If you're talking about me, believe it or not I'm entitled to express my opinion about any topic and use any colorful metaphors I choose to just like any other member of the forums so long as the rules are maintained.

I have called certain comparisons bullshit, which, is my personal opinion and as I've stated my right. I've insulted no one. If you think otherwise, please point out the incident and I'll correct myself.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I can't figure out for the life of me why the skeptics are so protective/defensive/afraid of their feelings in regards to the topic... but MORE than that... I can't figure out why the skeptics tend to be so hateful, insulting, disgusted & completely and nearly enraged by the fact that some of us DO believe.

Actually, you probably can, but it would have to go to SC for further derision.

Ghosts and spirits cannot exist unless there's some kind of energy that continues to exist beyond the death of the body.
This means that there is an afterlife, and, well, some people just don't want to go there.