wsinsel

Alpha 129/Space 130 turns on opening

Anyone have any thoughts on Alpha 129 and/or Space 130 that twists up violently on opening? Save all the body position stuff as a reply. I've experienced this with these canopies and have several friends who have the same experience. I love the canopy but have 8 cutaways from unrecoverable line twists. It takes considerable effort to steer the canopy through it's initial inflation and you have to "follow" it around, otherwise you're SCREWED. Does not occur with the same canopy in the 150. At my riggers course the general concensus was set the brakes deeper. Any suggestions? Wing loading is about 1.4
"It's very important at this point that you don't simply become a passenger." Flight instructor Dennis Anderson speaking about life and crosswind landings.

Oh,

Note also that I have 2 of these canopies and they both have exhibited this characteristic since they were NEW.
"It's very important at this point that you don't simply become a passenger." Flight instructor Dennis Anderson speaking about life and crosswind landings.

At least three Alpha 129s at my DZ, wingloadings all in that ballpark, and I've never heard a complaint.

Alphas (as you know) are a very slow opening canopy though, and any canopy that takes that long to open is going to take some work during the opening to keep it on heading. Sometimes "following" it just makes it worse. Try just keeping the rings level by weight shifting, and don't even touch the risers until it's fully inflated.

Canuck

Save all the body position stuff as a reply. I've experienced this with these canopies and have several friends who have the same experience.
if you are experiencing diving line twists then body position IS your problem, if your rings were level, then you wouldnt have a dive....merely line twists as the canopy flies merrily on its way in a fairly straight line.

have someone go up and video your deployment, you might see something you are obviously not expecting.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Well, not following it is definitely not an option. That got me 2 back to back reserve rides. Body position also cannot be corrected by another canopy of the same size and brand but when I jump my friends alpha 129 there is no problem. Thanks anyway. I think it may have lines out of length. I am told just because it was new is no sign it is true. I have the predecessor to this canopy, the Viper 135. You could trash pack it and lay on your side and throw. It would open on heading every time.