RIGGER

RSL REMOVED FROM JAVELIN H/C BY RIGGERS

It would be interesting to re-run the poll and see if the numbers have changed.

It would also be interesting to see if the odds of someone buying a Javelin (or the odds of a rigger recommending a Javelin) have changed as a result of the latest ambiguities.

I don't see myself ordering another-now. I also don't see myself reinstalling my RSL till I sell my J-1.
The way I see it I would have been jumping with another snag hazzard for the last ten years, yea I could hand tact the snap some place, but that sure is more of a pain in the ass then just peeling some velcro. I plan to send an email this week to Pat Tomas stating my view and how they have just lost a long time customer over something stupid! Not that they really care I won't buy their product anymore.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you look at the TSO marking (that means label to most of us) on a Vector III reserve container it says something about 'Wonderhog' and 'TSO C23b' (I'm going from memory here because I do not have one handy to look at). Today, the V-III (I think) somes with a 'kinda different looking' reserve pilot chute, a reserve d-bag, a Skyhook, pockets-etc for an electronic AAD, a 3-Ring system, stainless steel hardware, and so on. Now think about the original Wonderhog; it did not come with a reserve pilot chute (most riggers just put MA-1's in the reserve container), it was set-up for a round reserve canopy (remember the bungee hesitator loop that the bridle folded into?), it was a 2-pin container, and it had Capewells. In the eyes of the FAA, the V-III is still just an original Wonderhog, with some 'minor changes.' Just from looking at an old Wonderhog reserve container I would guess that the original submittal was rather 'minimalist' also. There just wasn't much there to actually detail; a very simple, minimal container (Roger RamJet, where are you when we need you?).

I'm pretty late coming to this party, but I finally ran across this thread today. I agree with everything in that portion of your post that I quoted except about the bungee hesitator loop. The original Wonderhog reserve section was built (except for shape) exactly like any other reserve container of the times. It had loops on the floor for rubber bands to hold the line stows, grommets in the flaps through which passed gutted 550 for pin closure (plastic rod originally, then changed to standard steel cord with pins after a death in Casa Grande blamed on a broken plastic ripcord). You stowed the lines in the rubber bands, folded the canopy onto that, placed a kicker plate, compressed the (not supplied) MA-1 pilot chute onto it and closed the flaps over it.

bungee hesitator loops and the other enhancements you mention came later (after number 125 at least).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Hi Roger,

bungee hesitator loops and the other enhancements you mention came later (after number 125 at least).

I defer to your intimate knowledge of the early rigs. The first one I ever came across had the bungie loop on it.

As I said:

Where are you when we need you.

;)

JerryBaumchen

Hi Roger,

I defer to your intimate knowledge of the early rigs. The first one I ever came across had the bungie loop on it.

As I said:

Where are you when we need you.

;)

JerryBaumchen

Maybe Bill will come across this and offer up some more knowledge (where is he when we need him ;) )

What I would like to know is what do you need a bungee hesitator loop for?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

You may remove the RLS from any rig without violating the TSO. What the gripe is about is some people just pull it off the velcro and thats it. Wrong, you must do one of two things. either put a mat piece of velcro over the hook or remove the hook from the reserve riser. Failure to do either will result in an abrader reserve riser that will eventuly ground the rig