yellowgt

Recovery Time

Hey All,

I did a search but couldnt find any information.

I broke my fibula at the beginning of January, and was wondering what sort of recovery time others had before they were jumping again. (Not that I am going to be jumping for the next few months anyways).

Thanks
Jason

One month in hard cast after surgery
One month in walking boot non weight bearing
One month in walking boot weight bearing
One month in regular shoes restricted activities
Finally able to jump, after proving to Ortho I could hop, jump, run and stop quickly with no pain.

Really do all of your PT exercises. I did them faithfully and it helped.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

One month in hard cast after surgery
One month in walking boot non weight bearing
One month in walking boot weight bearing
One month in regular shoes restricted activities
Finally able to jump, after proving to Ortho I could hop, jump, run and stop quickly with no pain.

Really do all of your PT exercises. I did them faithfully and it helped.

A compliant man. That's good. I wasn't so compliant. Six weeks in hard cast after surgery. Didn't wear the walking boot. Jumped after 8 weeks. I was wrong for that....but lucky. Didn't hurt myself worse....lucky (and maybe just a *little* bit good)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I can't say I have broken my tib/fib but I did my best in an attempt to get rid of my left femur (the X-ray looked like a broken Coke bottle). While I was at it, I thought why stop there. I broke the knee-cap and the ball at the hip socket. The hip in 6 places. My skull in 6 also. I don't remember the parts were I couldn't walk (Feb-May). I was at the DZ every week-end because I couldn't work. I packed and packed because I could not stand. The doctors made me lay-off for 6 months.

My first jump back was a 12-way at the WFFC, I was the L.O.. After openning, I spotted one of my buddies flew over docked, side-by-side, down-plane, brake,land.

So, how long for a fibula? Do you have to take a brake for that? ;)

HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

A few years ago I busted my left ankle, had some hardware installed, etc.

Injury occurred Nov. 13, 2004. I was back in the air on Safety Day 2005.
Do your PT like a good kid. Keep up with it for a year.

I wore a Davis level II brace the first couple months.

You'll be fine.

Easy Does It

Thanks Monky,

Broke Jan 8
Surgery Jan 11 (Splinted, 6 screws, 1 plate )
Cast Jan 24 (Non Weight Bearing)
Walking Boot Today ( weight bearing as I feel necessary)

I go back in 3 weeks for another consult, a week after that I go back to have 1 screw removed as its holding the Tib/Fib bones together while ligaments heal.

I plan on doing what I can for physio, havent started anything yet.

Hey All,

I did a search but couldnt find any information.

I broke my fibula at the beginning of January, and was wondering what sort of recovery time others had before they were jumping again. (Not that I am going to be jumping for the next few months anyways).

Thanks
Jason

I broke my tibia+fibula five months ago. After three months the X-rays showed no evidence of healing but the nerve pain had dropped enough I could start putting some weight on it; and I'm finally walking reasonably fast without a cane.

This week's X-rays looked like there finally was some bone growth.

This week's X-rays looked like there finally was some bone growth.

Until I started putting weight on the leg, I had minor bone growth. My doc said this is common. Once the body senses that it has a weakness, it really kicks in the healing processes. My xray just two weeks after starting weight bearing showed a considerable amount of bone growth.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I had the syndesmosis screws in my ankle last time around also (the ones that run through both bones at the ankle) and my ortho said they were meant to be temporary and should be removed before any weight bearing because they can break pretty easily. (some doctors apparently don't think its a big deal to have broken hardware in your ankle and just leave them in......) Just because scheduling the surgery proved to be difficult, I was weight bearing for a few months before he took those and a couple of other screws out. They didn't break, but I don't think I was walking with full weight on that leg until those screws were out because it was just too painful.

I eventually had all my hardware removed.

Well its been a while since ive been on the forum...been helping out at the DZ when I can.

Im back to work Full time now. Still working on physio stuff and trying to get my calf muscle back in shape and regaining full flexibility of my foot.

-Jason

A compliant man. That's good. I wasn't so compliant. Six weeks in hard cast after surgery. Didn't wear the walking boot. Jumped after 8 weeks. I was wrong for that....but lucky. Didn't hurt myself worse....lucky (and maybe just a *little* bit good) linz

Hmm, didn't listen to your doc, Doc?:)
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.