skydemon2

Memorial Day

http://sunniebunniezz.com/holiday/memorial.htm

Please take some time and remember what it is about !!!

Thanks to all the people serving past, present and to those who gave it all!!

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

I attended a Navy Military awards dinner last week... One of the award recipients is a medic who was wounded in Iraq (roadside bomb) yet continued to tend to his troops while wounded. (made me all teary eyed) I'm always amazed at the dedication and bravery of all our service men and women despite all odds!!!

Here's to them!!! B|

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Active Duty Coast Guard here, just got out of Basic a month ago. There is a memorial in my town center for all those from the neighborhood who answered the call and gave the ultimate sacrifice in both World Wars and Korea. Have to go there in my Bravo and render a salute, only right. Enough said. If I could spare the time and gas, I'd go to Arlington, but I'm probably going to start that as a tradition next year.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

I don't mean any offense to anyone, but I'm wondering how many people realize what Memorial Day is intended to recognize? After reading some of the posts in this thread and others, I think some may misunderstand its purpose.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I don't mean any offense to anyone, but I'm wondering how many people realize what Memorial Day is intended to recognize? After reading some of the posts in this thread and others, I think some may misunderstand its purpose.

To remember and honor the fallen, of course. That doesn't mean we can't also thank those who didn't give the ultimate sacrifice.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

To remember and honor the fallen, of course. That doesn't mean we can't also thank those who didn't give the ultimate sacrifice.

True. It also doesn't mean we can't protest war. Personally, I think it lacks tact to do either on a day set aside to honor those that did give the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service

Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery.

Traditional observance of Memorial day has diminished over the years. Many Americans nowadays have forgotten the meaning and traditions of Memorial Day. At many cemeteries, the graves of the fallen are increasingly ignored, neglected. Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day. While there are towns and cities that still hold Memorial Day parades, many have not held a parade in decades. Some people think the day is for honoring any and all dead, and not just those fallen in service to our country.

Sourced from here
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day.

On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon, then raised to the top.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Most people no longer remember the proper flag etiquette for the day.

On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon, then raised to the top.

That's 100% true. And I don't know if any of you know this, but to properly raise the national ensign to half-mast following proper "colors" procedures, you must first raise it to the top then lower halfway down. And to do this in the short time given by the national anthem being played takes very good timing.

Of course the other thing is very few neighborhoods I know of honor the proper procedure for raising and lowering the flag, they just leave it up, which is actually very disrespectful. I went to my local town hall yesterday to ask about colors schedule, the raising and lowering for Memorial Day, and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. It was truly disturbing. :S I was tempted to imitate my Company Commander, hold my hand up with fingers outstretched, and say, "You're friggin' out of your skull you."
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche