johnie

pack volume spectre

I'm no expert, but I can tell you that the experts would probably ask for the size of your Javelin to give a usable answer. If you don't know the size try checking inside the reserve pin cover (Open it. It has two layers and thus has a "pocket" accessible when it is open). You're looking for a J plus a number. Mine is a J4 with a Spectre 210 in it.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I can't say for sure, but I am going to try to get a Triathlon 190 in a J3 once it comes in from Aerodyne (for $700! Thanks DZ.com). It should be similar (but not the exactly the same) as the Spectre.

I was encouraged to do so a rigger I know who has put many jumps on a Tri 190 in a J3. I also got a good feeling from looking at Aerodyne's website, were I found pack volume info:

Triathlon 190 : 420 cu in.
Pilot 168: 416 cu in.

That means the Tri is 1% bigger in pack volume than a smaller size Pilot. I would think that means they fit in the same container. Perhaps you can ask PD about a pack volume comparison between say a 190 Spectre and 170 Sabre 2 or something.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

I just wnet the other way- 190 Spectre to a 170 sabre2. There was little to no difference in the pack volume although the reference table show a 8-10% difference. The method of calculating pack volume is not exactly precision. I believe any difference will easily be compensated for using the closing loop. As always- consult your rigger

Triathlon 190 : 420 cu in.
Pilot 168: 416 cu in.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is one of the rare cases in which you can compare numbers published by canopy manufacturers, since they are both sewn at the same factory.
Since they have similar pack volume, you will probably find that Triathlon 190 and Pilot 168 have almost the same surface area.
The confusion is caused by different measuring methods. While both canopies measure chord the same way (straight line from the top leading edge to the trailing edge), they use different techniques for measuring span.
The old Aerodyne used the old PIA (Para-Flite, etc.) method for measuring span across the top skin (of Triathlons), a few inches back from the leading edge.
Meanwhile, the new Aerodyne measures span across the bottom skin (of Pilots) (similar to Performance Designs, Icarus since 2001, etc.).

This is one of the rare cases in which you can compare numbers published by canopy manufacturers, since they are both sewn at the same factory.
Since they have similar pack volume, you will probably find that Triathlon 190 and Pilot 168 have almost the same surface area.
The confusion is caused by different measuring methods. While both canopies measure chord the same way (straight line from the top leading edge to the trailing edge), they use different techniques for measuring span.

I'm going to disagree here fairly vigorously (although I am willing to be convinced otherwise). I attribute the difference to be due to the 7-cell versus 9-cell issue. I own a Pilot 168, and previously owned a Spectre190. I also used (briefly) a Sabre2 170, which packed up virtually the same size as the Spectre 190. 9-cell canopies have more seams, and ribs, which essentially makes them the same bulk as the next size up 7-cell.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Why would you ever by a 7 cell like the Spectre? WHEN YOU HAVE THE BEST CANOPIES LIKE SABRE2's I dont understand...thats like buying a Round Reserve when you could get an Air-Ram Canopy.

Please somone tell me why anyone jumps 7 cell anymore.....BASE AND RESERVES but MAINS CUMMON!

Why would you ever by a 7 cell like the Spectre? WHEN YOU HAVE THE BEST CANOPIES LIKE SABRE2's I dont understand...thats like buying a Round Reserve when you could get an Air-Ram Canopy.

Please somone tell me why anyone jumps 7 cell anymore.....BASE AND RESERVES but MAINS CUMMON!

Jumps
License
In sport
: 62
: A
: 1 years

Thats why you don't understand.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Because they do some things better. Is your reserve an untapered, 7-cell canopy? I bet it is. If a Sabre2 was better IN ALL RESPECTS, it would be a reserve too, but it isn't.

I jumped a 7-cell, Spectre 190 for about 600 jumps from jump #1600 to #2200, and I could buy anything I wanted, but I chose the Spectre. There are other jumpers far more experienced than I who also choose a Spectre, or Triathlon, or...

You need to get significantly more educated about the performance parameters, and tradeoffs between various canopies. It is too long for me to write that book for you here.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Because they do some things better. Is your reserve an untapered, 7-cell canopy? I bet it is. If a Sabre2 was better IN ALL RESPECTS, it would be a reserve too, but it isn't.

I jumped a 7-cell, Spectre 190 for about 600 jumps from jump #1600 to #2200, and I could buy anything I wanted, but I chose the Spectre. There are other jumpers far more experienced than I who also choose a Spectre, or Triathlon, or...

You need to get significantly more educated about the performance parameters, and tradeoffs between various canopies. It is too long for me to write that book for you here.

I totally agree with you. I jumped a Spectre 135 for a long time (400 jumps or so) and I loved it. I even learned to do 90s and 180 swoops on it. I miss that canopy. sigh The openings were beautiful.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Why would you ever by a 7 cell like the Spectre?

Probably for the same reasons you like your Sabre2 - because I like the way it opens, flies and lands. In addition, I prefer the steeper approach angle of a 7 cell; it's much easier for me to be accurate with.

Skydiving isn't a one size fits all sport. What you think is the shit someone else may think is shit.

What's an Air-Ram Canopy?

Hmmmm.... I love my Spectre!!! I bought it new about 4 months ago and I love it she takes good care of me. Maybe you should fly one before you start bagging on them, you might change your tune a little. [:/]
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

One question, what makes a Sabre2 better then a 7-cell? I fly a Triathlon, i'm quite happy with it and it has taken quite good care of me so far, and i'll still be learning with it in three hundred jumps time.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."