emmiwy

"proper" way to fix a PC in tow?

Clearly if this student were jumping solo he would not be able to punch his own rig, and cutting away would be obvious. But I would have thought the student would think to cutaway or instructor would have signaled to the student to cutaway?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PctXVPNyWKg

actually anyone CAN try hitting the rig with his elbows, the only downside is that he might loose stability

ummmmmm....how do you signal a student to cutaway?

Yeah, that's why I asked--as far as I know there isn't a signal I've learned that means cutaway :)

I thought that was what two middle fingers meant...

Oh, that means something else. :ph34r:
"Fail, fail again. Fail better."
-Samuel Beckett

The video shows a PCIT. The main-side JM should not have been there. Clearing that problem is the reserve-side JM's job. I couldn't tell what the RJM was doing but clearly, the MJM was contributing to the problem by being there and creating a larger burble.

How to handle it on your own is something your instructors should have taught you already and I'm surprised that you are asking here on DZ.com.

Meh, maybe you are just throwing it out here as a potential learing tool....in which case, good job.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Looking over one shoulder or the other will generally clear a hesitation.
A PCIT is a different animal.

http://www.vimeo.com/9133819 is a hesitation that clears as soon as the angle of the burble changes.

Holy hell and shinola, DSE. The link is kick-ass. There is some really, really good stuff on there for youngsters. You guys should advertise those videos more....I know I will.

Side note: I did get a chuckle out of Jay looking at the ground on his ISP PRCPs. :D:D

Yes, there are a lot of good videos in there for newbie jumpers, and some good stuff for experienced jumpers. I probably should make a "skydiving" channel on that page so that folks don't have to wade through the camera and software stuff too.
Glad you like it, thanks for the kind words.

As a funny/ironic side note, the OP is borrowing a 190 rig of mine to use as she learns to pack, and she's put a few jumps on it. That rig has a 9' bridle. One of the experienced jumpers saw her packing that and poor kid got a lecture on how extended bridles are dangerous and why wingsuiters are dumb for using them.:D

Yeah, that's why I asked--as far as I know there isn't a signal I've learned that means cutaway :)

I thought that was what two middle fingers meant...

Oh, that means something else. :ph34r:

I like Tom's flying turkey signal :)

...poor kid got a lecture on how extended bridles are dangerous and why wingsuiters are dumb for using them.:D

and hence the need for the good stuff on your page.

Pretty much everything concerning the OP’s YouTube link has been covered and then some in this thread.
Additionally there is a lot of good information on DZ.com concerning the proper (and not so proper) way to deal with a PCIT and all that that implies.
A quick and simple search should land lots of reading – but there is no substitute for personalized training with qualified instructional personnel.

Staying current and highly proficient on malfunction training is paramount in dealing with a true PCIT as is ALTITUDE AWARENESS - but of course, advoiding the situation all together is a good idea, and in the event of a PCIT, a little luck don’t hurt either.
I lost a friend who did not respond to a high speed bag-lock malfunction in time and lost his life as a result, the outcome of which may had been more conducive to not being buried had he reacted properly which may have been a direct result of a lack of proper training and practice.
So this topic, not only as an AFF Instructor but as a friend strikes close to home.

My good friend Don Yharling (R.I.P.) lost a close friend when their deploying main entangled with the bridle and PC during a PCIT, so remaining calm, and in a stable belly to earth body position may be key regardless which side of the cutaway or don’t cutaway line of thought you subscribe to.

I have had to cutaway a high speed situation, also a bag-lock and have self induced a couple of PCIT situations (not recommended) in my own personal training (had thousands of jumps at the time) – this malfunction is easily recognized and with proper training and practice is easily resolved with plenty of altitude to spare if it is recognized in time and dealt with in a manner that results in not becoming corpsed-up.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…