RALFFERS

BIG shipment (help!)

I need ideas (if this is even possible) on how to ship a 6-ft model sail-boat.

:S:S:SB|

I'm putting it on e-Bay next week - and, not only is shipping it going to be a royal pain - but because it's worth a good amount of money insuring it wont be easy and/or cheap either. Would be convenient if the buyer were to come pick it up, but that seems a bit far fetched - since the marketplace in this case is not only national, but global in some cases.

I've been selling on e-Bay on and off for some time, but this sort of thing would be a 1st...
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

You're going to have to figure out how to get it out of the basement first. :P

I had sold some collector car windows on e-bay, "LOCAL PICK UP ONLY" - then some dunce won the auction and filed a complaint that I wouldn't ship them. E-bay refused to understand the predicament.
That was my last transaction with those folks. :S>:(

You're going to have to figure out how to get it out of the basement first. :P

I had sold some collector car windows on e-bay, "LOCAL PICK UP ONLY" - then some dunce won the auction and filed a complaint that I wouldn't ship them. E-bay refused to understand the predicament.
That was my last transaction with those folks. :S>:(

Sorry that happened dude - I'm surprised that was the reaction on the part of e-Bay themselves. if the description was clear that scenario should never have taken place.

Luckily, I haven't had problems - YET (knock on wood!) Unfortunately, I expect to run into a putz or 2 soon enough.... Just the nature of the beast.

I'm new to online transactions, but wouldn't Craigslist make more sense as it's a site for items in your area?

I agree. I would at least try Craigslist first, to possibly save yourself the hassle of shipping (and ebay fees).
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I'm new to online transactions, but wouldn't Craigslist make more sense as it's a site for items in your area?

I agree. I would at least try Craigslist first, to possibly save yourself the hassle of shipping (and ebay fees).

DOH!:$ Good point...both of you.

Absolutely! I wouldn't even consider trying to ship something like that.

And as far as being "big", I'm not impressed. I shipped a Pratt & Whitney R-985 once. Had to build the damn crate myself.:S Thankfully, the buyer took care of all the shipping arrangements once I built a crate that satisfied the freight company's requirements.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

UPS has contractors that deliver items too large for their regular delivery trucks (ex. AGX). Check out the trucking companies, like Roadway, Yellow, NEMF, etc...sometimes their rates are very reasonable.

My only advice with any of the above companies is to find out where it'll be delivered. Most of their shipments need to be shrink-wrapped on a skid...and if this person lives somewhere with restrictive streets or corners, the guy driving the 50-foot semi will not be pleased. Make sure the truck will have an automatic gate/lift and doesn't need a dock plate also. Again...would cause problems upon receipt.

Hope that helps.

UPS has contractors that deliver items too large for their regular delivery trucks (ex. AGX). Check out the trucking companies, like Roadway, Yellow, NEMF, etc...sometimes their rates are very reasonable.

My only advice with any of the above companies is to find out where it'll be delivered. Most of their shipments need to be shrink-wrapped on a skid...and if this person lives somewhere with restrictive streets or corners, the guy driving the 50-foot semi will not be pleased. Make sure the truck will have an automatic gate/lift and doesn't need a dock plate also. Again...would cause problems upon receipt.

Hope that helps.

Good point. I often accept shipments for people, at my garage...larger items, mostly. We can accomodate any size truck and have forklifts on hand, if necessary. Most trucking companies have shorter straight-jobs, for local delivery but sometimes, you just can't quite get it to your front door. Be clear with your description and requirements...most of them can either accomodate your needs or cheerfully refer you to someone who can.

Theoretically though....once it's paid for and on the truck, it's the buyer's problem to get it home.
"T'was ever thus."

I need ideas (if this is even possible) on how to ship a 6-ft model sail-boat.

Hacksaw and a shoebox...:)

"Some assembly required" :ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"