bluewaterstream

Walking/"Milking" your brakelines down from the cascades to the toggles

What do you think about these pictures? Well over 10 jumps have been made with these twists in the brake lines. The lines are Spectra (microlines) with about 150 jumps on them.

Problematic or no problem at all? Can this cause a malfunction (slider hang-up/delay, tension knot(s) trapping other lines, change the length of the steering lines, kinks in the twisted lines interfering with riser guide rings, etc.), possible brake line deformation/damage, etc.?

I'm debating this issue with a friend of mine and I'd like to hear some other opinions. I'd especially like to hear what all you riggers think.

Thanks,
J-Jennings

That is one of my biggest pet peeves in gear maintinence. Twisted brake lines shows the jumper doesn't give a hoot about their gear.

It causes premeture weat and shrinkage of brake lines, often leading to poorer landings because of trim issues. It takes such a little amount of time to fix at the end of a jump day before the last pack job. Also most of it can be prevented by simply stowing your brakes before walking in from the landing area (please remember to look out for other trafic while doing this.)

Tell your friend they are being lazy.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Walking the twists out is overkill, just no need to get absolutely all the twists out, I think. Just eyeballing it as you set the brakes, and taking a few twists out until it looks straight is good enough, and can be done every time you pack.

Many a slider hangup can be attributed to such twists. No debate on this issue, that is way too much.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I think the rig is not his, but the point is valid, that person should be encouraged in the strongest terms to not jump it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There are at least 3 other major canopy manufactures that make "soft links".

Exactly... plus the links have nothing to do with this. So, back to these brakelines - are they:

..."Problematic or no problem at all? Can this cause a malfunction (slider hang-up/delay, tension knot(s) trapping other lines, change the length of the steering lines, kinks in the twisted lines interfering with riser guide rings, etc.), possible brake line deformation/damage, etc.?"

"Problematic or no problem at all? Can this cause a malfunction (slider hang-up/delay, tension knot(s) trapping other lines, change the length of the steering lines, kinks in the twisted lines interfering with riser guide rings, etc.), possible brake line deformation/damage, etc.?"

Yes, don't be a lazy mo fo and just fix it. It'll take you like 30 extra seconds. :S

Are they not Slinks?

There are at least 3 other major canopy manufacturers that make "soft links".

Apologizing again for thread drift.

Might be tandem Slinks, but the reason I asked was because I've also seen Precision Wrap-Its installed like Slinks, with just two turns instead of three like the directions say, resulting in a bigger loop like the one pictured. Tandem Slinks would be okay, just overkill. Wrap-Its installed incorrectly would be a problem.

Mark

Though I answered this already.

Slider hang up and tension knots? Probably not.

Change the length of the steering lines? Most definately. Could cause mals due to trim issues. And having just a few twists will cause a problem too.... twists in spectra that are not removed will become heat set, and then the problem becomes worse.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Apologizing again for thread drift.

No problem bro. Not my links so I can't answer for sure, but the canopy is a PD Sabre2 that he bought brand new and I think that they are Slinks. I just received PD Slinks with my new Sabre2, so I'm guessing that's what he was sent with the canopy but I'd have to ask him to know for sure.

so, to fast forward a bit...... i was at a dz doing a canopy course and the conversation came up as to how to untwist the lines if twisted . it started after the canopycoach told the class that twisted brake lines shorten the lines and effect flare points etc... so the next jump i asked my packer to check and straighten my brake lines. he said they didn't need it ( i always stow the lines when i land), but a rigger there over heard and said it's better to untwist the lines under canopy because they are under tension and will stay untwisted better. wich then led to a debate on weather or not the risk of taking attention away from flying the canopy and the posibility of losing a grip on the handle where worth the risk . i did it and it can be done but can see how it might be easy to lose grip on a handle that way .

just wanted to toss that into the mix .

people see me as a challenge to their balance