ASullivan

Vigil vs Pro-track readings

I have a vigil AAD and a Pro Track. My vigil says that on my last jump i was going 209 MPH and my Pro track says that i was going 180 MPH. I keep the Pro track in my thigh pocket in my pants. Wich is more accurate and how can they be so far off from one another?

I would say your pro-track is more accurate because 209 mph is real fucking fast for someon with 39 jumps! Then again so is 180 mph, and I have a Vigil so I hope they are accurate... shit.. I don't know.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

The best way to check the data is to graph it and see if it spikes anywhere. Beyond that, I try to keep my comparison speeds between the same kind of FF computer. Pro-track speed to Pro-track speed, Neptune speed, well, you get the idea.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have a vigil AAD and a Pro Track. My vigil says that on my last jump i was going 209 MPH and my Pro track says that i was going 180 MPH.

This is from the guys at Vigil:

Concerning speed and time data of free fall, we can confirm that:

- The Vigil is not a data logger and can’t be compared to the Protrack.

- The Vigil detects the free fall as soon as the speed reaches 35m/sec/ (78mph (126km/h)) in PRO mode. If the free fall is below 35m/sec. during more than a 5/8 of a sec., the Vigil will consider that the freefall (data displayed on LCD) is over, but stays active in its measurements up to the ground.

The displayed value is an indicative average data of free fall based on the one internally used by the Vigil.

In the case of a wing suit jump, it is true that the speed can be below 78mph (126km/h) and the Vigil considers you are not in free fall anymore and will not activate.

Of course, if the speed is higher than 78mph, the Vigil will activate at 840 ft and below in PRO.

We hope that we have helped you with these explanations.

We stay at your entire disposal for any further information that you could require.

Blue skies,

Edwin

/Vigil Team

Check out our frequent updates on www.vigil.aero
AAD nv/sa
193, Bld A.Reyers
1030 Brussels - BELGIUM
T: +32 (0)2 732 65 52
F: +32 (0)2 736 06 27
[email protected]
www.vigil.aero
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have a vigil AAD and a Pro Track. My vigil says that on my last jump i was going 209 MPH and my Pro track says that i was going 180 MPH. I keep the Pro track in my thigh pocket in my pants. Wich is more accurate and how can they be so far off from one another?

Because none of them are as accurate as you assume they are, or as accurate as the manufacturers (and most people) imply.

See www.pcprg.com/baro.htm for technical details on why these devices that give you a "magic number" after the jump are not accurate.