peek

What I saw the wind do to people today

when their “mad skills” fail them.

Sparky, you misspelled "skillz". :P

Hey, when they get enough scar tissue they may smarten up, same as we did.;):D

Dude. Have you seen Sparky up close... in good light? Given the amount of scar tissue he's got, he must be real smart! :D

And don't you forget it! :P I had a lot of fun getting in this shape.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yeah, judging by the crookedness of your nose alone... looks like you had "some fun" letting someone "smarten you up" 2 or 3 times!

:D

:P

Four times to be exact but each time I went home with the trophy.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yeah, judging by the crookedness of your nose alone... looks like you had "some fun" letting someone "smarten you up" 2 or 3 times!

Sparky

:S

... that's a tough way to get dates.

It WAS his date.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

yes...
i see your point....
maybe i should have said, 'do a "mini-Flare" instead of saying " No Flare" which would be the equivilent of keeping the toggles up to the keepers..

but for sure a deep FULL flare, can get a jumper in trouble,,, when the ground winds are UP...
i wouldn't go to my fronts,,, til that instant,,, when i am ON the ground,, and just before the canopy " gets away from me..."

jt

I managed to make 3 jumps this weekend before winds screwed us, at least one of them i landed on rears only because it had gotten windy to the point where toggles were an unnecessary tool.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

It was marginal, but they were all big boys and big girls and could decide for themselves.

Gary,

Let me introduce you to the “entitlement generation”. They are “entitled” to make bad decisions anytime they feel like it. They are “entitled” to make the same mistakes others have made in the past. They are “entitled” to ignore sound advice given by someone who has been there, done that and has the T-shirt. When something goes wrong they are “entitled” to blame someone/something else for their fuck ups. They are “entitled” to demand that there be some electronic gismo available to pull their head out of their ass when their “mad skills” fail them.
The world has changed my friend and you are looking at the future leaders of skydiving and society as a whole. Ain’t it grand?

Sparky

Come on now, I remember such bad wind decisions being very common way back when I started. Those decisions were also so much worse because we all had round reserves.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Sparky

:S

... that's a tough way to get dates.

It WAS his date.
:D:D

Well, I guess she had to do something when the pepper spray didn't work!

It was marginal, but they were all big boys and big girls and could decide for themselves.

Gary,

Let me introduce you to the “entitlement generation”. They are “entitled” to make bad decisions anytime they feel like it. They are “entitled” to make the same mistakes others have made in the past. They are “entitled” to ignore sound advice given by someone who has been there, done that and has the T-shirt. When something goes wrong they are “entitled” to blame someone/something else for their fuck ups. They are “entitled” to demand that there be some electronic gismo available to pull their head out of their ass when their “mad skills” fail them.
The world has changed my friend and you are looking at the future leaders of skydiving and society as a whole. Ain’t it grand?

Sparky

Hi Spark,
Bud, that's in there with yer',"You are not now nor never will be good enough to not die in this sport" sayin'!! Right on!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi peek baby,
Over in Steve1's "scary storys from the old daze" thd in hist and trivia down at the end around page 43 is some storys of cross country jumps and high wind jumps and doing things like parasailing a ramair!! Yup I kin' remember gettin "drug' back in the old daze at Hammond Airport with a 7-TU on a windy day!! Got drug accross the runway too and it tore up my container before I could arm over arm pull enough riser to collapse the canopy!! That was OK back then, whole new B-4 backpacks were only $25 chute, ripcord and all!! I bought another B-4 container from another jumper for 50cents!! Had 4 rigs in my car trunk, the cheapest cost me $5.00 to put together (my hobo rig) and the most was $30.00 (my Cadillac Rig). I think that was around 1965. Where were you back then??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Some of the posts in this thread about mad skillz and entitlement generation stuff are kind of foolish. Neither had anything to do with it.

I was on all three loads that morning. Winds were forecast, from multiple sources, to be ~20 mph all day in the region. They were averaging 17-18mph most of the morning and fairly steady when I was watching the weather meter earlier. There had been two gusts between loads 2 and 3 in the vicinity of 26 or 27 mph, maybe 20-30 minutes before takeoff IIRC. The winds were showing 20 mph when I went to get on the plane for load 3. There were signs that the very strong winds aloft, 70+mph at 13k, were descending however. I think marginal is a fair way way to describe the conditions. The decision to launch the load seemed reasonable to me however.

I know some were talked to about sitting it out, presumably based on their experience, and I think at least one or two did just that. Reviewing high wind landing procedures seemed a reasonable idea as well and I saw that type of advice being passed to several by Peek and couple of other very experienced folks.

Anyway, I was solo and flying a wingsuit, exited last so landed 4-5 minutes after the rest of load 3. Winds were gusty and ~25 mph when I landed, without incident, and stayed that way or stronger for the rest of the day.

I did not see the actual landings of any that were dragged so can't comment on what they did or did not do. There's no doubt they got caught in stronger and gusty conditions however as Peek observes.

Again, the decision to launch the load, in my view was reasonable and I would get on it again today in the same situation. Each of us as licensed skydivers needs to make a deliberate risk management decision before each jump, especially with strong or gusty wind conditions. If you are uncomfortable in the situation, sit it out.

pms

Was, us four old salts geared up for a lift, after watching the winds for over an hour 1/2 (dying down) standing there about to get in the 182 when a good gust passed by, one was heard to say "did ya feel that gust?" Yep! Checks wind o meter 10mph just did 27, about that time another old salts says, "too old to get hurt in high winds!" I went home and mowed the lawn.:|

Oh well I'm sitting in my easy chair typing as the skies call, and not the ER or recovery and my gear still looks pretty, call'in for rain tomorrow.:|
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Was, us four old salts geared up for a lift, after watching the winds for over an hour 1/2 (dying down) standing there about to get in the 182 when a good gust passed by, one was heard to say "did ya feel that gust?" Yep! Checks wind o meter 10mph just did 27, about that time another old salts says, "too old to get hurt in high winds!" I went home and mowed the lawn.:|

Oh well I'm sitting in my easy chair typing as the skies call, and not the ER or recovery and my gear still looks pretty, call'in for rain tomorrow.:|
Right on!

Guns dont kill people...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

..Why would 3 people land anywhere near a runway where they could get drug across it? When there is a wide open airport?

...to gain experience, of course!

Most people, of the ones that survive anyway, come away from that thinking, "Damn! I ain't gonna do THAT again!."

I did that today. The winds were around 15 - 17 (they were much higher around 2,000). Decided to jump even though I had second thoughts. The first load of jumpers were having trouble making any headway into the wind so that they would land at the DZ. They all did. I thought I would as well. After I was under canopy I was stuck just above a tree line. I soon realized I was heading backwards and would land in the trees if I kept that up. I decided I would have to land somewhere else and found a nice little field of horses. Smelled like shit. I wont do that again...
AKA MG Hammer Flying Hellfish #834 Son's Of Bacon #1

Some of the posts in this thread about mad skillz and entitlement generation stuff are kind of foolish. Neither had anything to do with it.

That your opinion for what its worth.

Sparky

Well, of course it's an opinion. There is a difference between your opinion and mine however. Mine is based on fact, personal observation and actually being there on the skydive. Yours? Not so much...