moodyskydiver

need medical info:plantar faciitis

I've had a real shitty time with what I thought was a heel spur over the last several months only to find out its not a heel spur.Instead I've been diagnosed with a "severe" case of Plantar fasciitis...I've never heard of it before.:|All I know is that it hurts like hell and its probably going to stop me from going to the Police Academy in the Spring b/c most treatments take about a year to recover from.[:/]>:( My only options other than surgery are night splints and corrective footwear/shoe inserts and lots of anti-inflammatories.Keep in mind, I dont have any insurance either,so surgery is out.:|

I've been trying to do my homework over this by talking to my mom who is an RN and googling some info. but I figured maybe some of you medical types out there might have some good insight,info or advice for me aswell.

So honestly what are my options/what can I do right now and what am I up against?Help!Thanks in advance.:$[:/]

*note: I'm only asking for info and recommendations...I'm not asking for a quick fix or anything just to avoid my own MD and his advice,which I already have.I'm just looking at my options right now.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

If the site is still active, try "mybrokenleg.com". Seems to be a not uncommon problem with people recovering from broken legs, esp. ankles. Not saying that is you, but some of the regulars there might have a little insight.

My completely uneducated and entirely un-medical self-diagnosis suggests I probably have the same thing, albeit a pretty minor case. So far this year I've managed to keep the Tevas off while skydiving, instead wearing Airwalks with substantial inserts for arch support. In my case, the pain would only be visible to others for the first hour or less each day, after which things get stretched out enough that I can walk pretty normally (as opposed to the crippled bear imitation I do for a little while after getting out of bed each morning). With the popularity of chuck taylors in skydiving these days, I'm guessing there will be an increased incidence of this problem in the sport. Slapping feet with no arch support while running out a landing seems to be begging for the problem, especially if overweight like me and/or in more compacted landing areas.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I got plantar fasciitis when I was 18. I was working out fine with early a.m. soccer practice. We were running lines (stopping and reversing) and it started hurting toward the end of practice. It still hurt as first class started. At the end of the first class of the day, I took one step and the worst pain I'd ever felt occurred.

I got mine not on the heel, but on the medial arch - the doc said it appeared I partially tore it. Mine took weeks before I could actually walk on it. It was probably six months before I could actually do so without a limp or pain.

Just rest it. It could be a year before it improves significantly. Take Alleve.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You're right about it taking a long time for recovery. My observations:

1) Never walk barefoot. Always wear shoes with arch support. No slippers or sandals or anything that doesn't support your arches. Even around the house.

2) Take up walking. Then try running. Exercise really helps

3) Stretch your calves a lot

4) IMPORTANT Avoid positions that allow your feet to point away from your body. Example: setting in a chair with your legs stretched out in front of you and your toes pointed away from you. Three activities that cause you to do this are: Driving, setting in a chair, sleeping

When you set in an office chair, pull your feet back to a position that causes tension on your calves

When you drive or sleep, flex you feet before you get up and put weight on them. Once again, put tension on your calves before you stand up.

Well, the two podiatrists I have worked for advocated the treatments you mentioned.

It seems the most important in their minds were:

-wear the brace at night (expensive and pain-in-the-ass uncomfortable, but helps patients told me). *I don't know how doable this brace will be w/out ins., so make sure to do follow the other treatments.

-use the inserts in shoes and never go barefoot while the fascia is inflammed, even in the house. Wear some sort of supportive shoes that will accomodate the inserts.

*These inserts are expensive too. If you cannot afford these, at least buy some inserts they sell over the counter in the drug store (Walgreen's carries several brands - better than nothing right now for you. You'll need to replace these fairly often as they don't hold up but a month or two most).

-follow the phys.therapy treatments like icing and strengthening exercises.

-use the antinflam. meds.

Hope this helps[:/]

www.nismat.org/ptcor/plantar

"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

2) Take up walking. Then try running. Exercise really helps

I dont know what I'm going to do about this one...I'm in a bowling class for my college PE credit right now and will be in bowling 2 next semester.I HAVE to take these classes before the Fall semester starts b/c if I dont I wont graduate in December.Let me tell ya, I've never limped so bad in my life as I have today after my first day of bowling in those uncomfortable,flatfooted,no-arch-supporting mofo shoes!!!THEN went and worked at the PD on top of that.I came home and took a painkiller and a beer (yeah I know they dont mix well but dammit I'm hurting!)B|

When you set in an office chair, pull your feet back to a position that causes tension on your calves

I have to do ALOT of walking for my internship at the Police Dept. AND alot of desk work before I can do my ride-alongs.I'm going to google some good stretch techniques on top of your recommendations.(thanks for them)Thank god its only in one foot!!:S

Thanks alot everyone!I REALLY appreciate all the input.Keep it coming if you can.My foot thanks you too!lol:)

I got mine not on the heel, but on the medial arch - the doc said it appeared I partially tore it. Mine took weeks before I could actually walk on it. It was probably six months before I could actually do so without a limp or pain.

God this sounds familiar.B| My mom thinks I might have torn something in my foot too from my symptoms and the sudden onset of all of this.God I hope I dont need surgery and it can be fixed with some good inserts and the above suggestions along with some life modifications.*crosses fingers*

I've been a damn fool thinking "oh it'll go away soon" for the past several months and its only now that its gotten worse that I'm listening to my body saying "no it wont!"B|B|

I'm going to google some good stretch techniques

Thanks alot everyone!I REALLY appreciate all the input.Keep it coming if you can.My foot thanks you too!lol:)

When you click on the link in my post, at end of the page as you scroll down there are some stretching excercises you can start with...
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson