Squeak

Computing Whiz types

we had massive electrical strorms here yesterday and lightening hit out house
we lost pwer for 10 hours and now i cant seem to get my internet connection to work

I thought i fried the modem but i linked up my laptop and it works (using it now)

the main computer says "the network cable is unplugged" it's not :ph34r:

I have tried switching to a different cable, still no good
i took out the eithernet card and plaugged it into a different slot, the machine rwegonised it and installed it (no error was given)
so where could the probelm be?
the computer works just fine for everything else.

is the ethernet card dead? how can i check? (i dont have another desk top to plug it into)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's possible the electricity fried the ethernet card, or the entire slot for that matter. It doesn't hurt going out, and buying a new one. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't, return it, and we can go back to step 1.

Definitely doesn't sound like a software issue though.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

is the ethernet card dead? how can i check? (i dont have another desk top to plug it into)

If the Ethernet interface is set up to be a DHCP client (the 'normal' method when connected to a router of any sort) you can open a command prompt and see if it's getting an IP address lease by typing 'ipconfig' at the command prompt and hitting enter.

Should produce output like this...

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

An address in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range indicates that the DHCP server request has failed (it's a default address when that happens), and probably indicates that the card is bad.

As cheap as they are these days, 'pluck and chuck' diagnostics is a pretty reasonable means of test and repair. :P

Edited to add - I just noticed the 'network cable unplugged' message... duh, it won't be getting an IP address. Try 'pluck and chuck'.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Sorted :)Went to work with the old ethernet card, told techie what the issue was, he gave me an old NIC, and ity plugged straight in and away we go.
Too easyB|

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?