SkydiveStMarys

Why is it that kids

We are not sueing anyone. Because it happened on the school bus, the school has decided to press charges, in hopes that since the parents won't step up to the plate, the county will. Probation possibly for one kid, the other, who is the worse out of the two, may be removed from his home and placed somewhere else.

off to court........will report back later today....

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Good luck!

We are not sueing anyone.

Yes, you said - the school is pressing charges.
My original post in this thread was in no way directed against you but at a school who'd rather sue/press charges against their pupils than actually DO something about it (themselves).

But aside from that there is a language barrier. The way your previous post was worded led me to understand there is a difference between "pressing charges" against someone and "sueing" someone. I was merely seeking clarification of the legal terms :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I am a high school teacher, and this kind of stuff makes me sick. This year we had Jodee . . . Blonko (SP?) come to our school. She wrote a book called Stop Laughing at Me about bullying. Her advice is to stand up to bullies and let them know that you will not be pushed around. Even if that means yelling "You can't push me around. . . leave me alone!" I hate to see this happen to any kid, and if I witnessed it you would be damn sure that there would be some dire consequences. I teach empathy, compassion, and collaboration as part of my lessons. . . this needs to be done more in schools. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I would like to know what the bus driver does as this is going on? Bunch of cowards! Teach your kid to stand up for himself. . . and discuss the consequences, inform the authorites.
Peace!
Carpe Diem!

Both boys got 6 months probation, MTR, and anger management classes PLUS a stern lecture from the Judge. (Plus court costs, probation fees, and anger management class fees.);) They had originally plead not guilty, but before the cases went to the Judge they changed their pleas. Wonder why??.....:ph34r:;)

We are both happy, his father and I. My boy had a chance to speak to the Judge, we were able to speak to the Judge and to "the court" and those boys changed their pleas.......all is right with the world for now.....

Bobbi

I'm glad to hear it. I understand why you didn't want to press charges and I would do the same if put in your position. Fortunately the school felt it was their responsibility to act upon it which was best for all involved.

I work part time for a teen transport company that's federally funded. Essentially there becomes a point and time when a judge feels it's necessary for a child to attend a bootcamp or boarding school and we are employed to make sure they arrive unharmed.

Its becoming more normal for the system to step in when the parents and the child have been afforded multiple opportunities to steer the child in a more positive direction and yet the child continues to act out. Bootcamp and boarding schools are the child's last chance and hopefully, with proper guidance, whether by drill intructor or 24/7 counseling the child has some success.

Regarding the two boys....hopefully they see this as an opportunity and this doesn't end up as just another step towards a potentially troubled future.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I think both boys would be very foolish to try anything (not saying they wouldn't but...). This Judge was NOT playing around at all. Besides if anything did/does happen they (the boys) would have to know that they would be the first to be suspected of it.

BUT I will keep a heads up, trust me on that.

Bobbi

Wow...just wow[:/]

I just saw this thread for the first time last night and read through it all...how terrible for your son.

I don't have kids, wish I did, but don't. And after reading all this all I could think of was how difficult it is in this day and age to raise them - to stay on top of stuff (as best you can anyway), to know how to resolve situations like this. There are so many angles to this - the kids (yours and the bullies), the courts, the principal, the bus driver, the neighbors, witnesses, witness statements....ooooyyy!

Anyway, I'm really glad you shared your story because it gave me some real insight as to how parents are having to approach things (as opposed to when I was a kid in the 60's and a teenager in the 70's).

I'm also glad this got some results for your son, and I hope the bullies can get the help they so clearly need....good job Mom!!:)

"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

I actually spoke with a friend of mine today about this. He happens to be chief of detectives in my town. In addition to calling the school, call the police department's youth office. In my town, they contact the other parents immediately. Likewise, they have "bully awareness" sessions at schools. Once the kid becomes 16, it becomes a criminal matter.
We are all engines of karma