SuperGirl

computer question - admins

Say I work for company X, and they say hey people you should make sure you work and don't just dick around, by the way, we CAN see what you're doing.

I'm curious about is how deep this goes... Is there a way to figure out what's being monitored on a work computer? Like figuring out what is being logged, if anything?

all I can think of is looking at the processes in task manager and searching everything that looks like a candidate...

what else can one do?

From your level as a user - unlikely you'd find anything. The specific program might not even be ON your computer, but hooked into a local process from outside.

Depending on the granularity of the monitor program, they could even see your bringing up task manager.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

easily see everything you do, sites, images, ip addresses, even charchters typed, all e-mail content, scan for any and all files, music, videos, copyright abuse, view your desktop remotely....all unbeknownst to the end user.
sometimes it can be quite fun actually...
;)

I'm curious about is how deep this goes... Is there a way to figure out what's being monitored on a work computer? Like figuring out what is being logged, if anything?

They can intercept all of the network packets coming out of your computer. Any web browser requests you make for internet sites can be logged. Any traffic to proxy ports can be flagged as suspicious.

Without having a high speed cellular connection that doesn't go through your company's internet service provider there's no way around it.

wireless....

connect to a near-by AP and change routing statements for all internal routes to use the LAN connection and all "questionable external" routes to use the wireless....assuming of course one has the required administrative rights to accomplish this...
:P

but it won't bypass the logging and or the monitoring of actual activity.

they can do all of the above as well as take over your computer remorley, and shut it down if they want,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

wireless....

connect to a near-by AP and change routing statements for all internal routes to use the LAN connection and all "questionable external" routes to use the wireless....assuming of course one has the required administrative rights to accomplish this...
:P

but it won't bypass the logging and or the monitoring of actual activity.

Every wireless AP within range of my office is encrypted or won't associate (perhaps due to MAC filtering, who knows). I'd expect the situation to be similar other places unless you have a local coffee stand or something that has free wireless.

As a 25year admin I will say that it is possible for them to monitor anything. However, in practice this is almost never done except in very large corporations and sone industries that handle sensitive information (large law firms for example).

It is quite possible that they are monitoring nothing at all.

You should have had to sign something at time of employment consenting to monitoring.

You should have had to sign something at time of employment consenting to monitoring.

Hmmm... my company started monitoring after I started there and I never signed anything.

I just vpn to home. But I do worry about VNC still.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I actually meant connect to my computer and watch what I'm doing without my knowing it. We use GenControl at home but it sets the background to blank so my son knows when we are on. We switched to VNC for that reason.

I gave Gen Control to my work, what was I thinking!

But, yeah, I highly doubt they are trying to see what I'm doing. Our admin knows I do it. I do sometimes use it for work purposes "oh I have done that before, I'll grab the code from my home computer".

Sometimes.... :P

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

IT sees all and knows all (potentially), but unless you piss off someone in IT, they're probably more interested in what management is doing electronically.

I've had to gather information (at management's request) to get someone fired - it's not fun especially if you personally know the person (and they're nice enough, but they pissed off their manager).

The newest chipsets (Intel vPro) allow us to monitor eveything at a BIOS level and up - as long as there's power plugged in and a network connection, yes, we do know what's going on with every device on the network - it's just the way business is done these days...

And if you have an employee handbook, it most likely states you are using company equipment and anything on it is the company's property - be careful putting any personal/financial information on a work PC...if you are fired, it's theirs to look at and keep.
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

There is software that will record your desktop like it was a video camera. They can littlerally watch a video of what you did all day long, minute by minute. I havn't used such software, but a network admin at a client of ours was monitoring a few computers like that, and showed me what he was doing. It was a nice little video of someone moving a mouse around and working. George Orwell was correct, just off 20 years or so.

I don't know the brand of software he was using. But if you can find the major brands of software that does that, you can probably find out what the process is called, and find it in task manager.

I'd better get back to work.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com