psipike02

Have you ever had to take a break from skydiving or anything due to other things in your life?

Money. Moving. Having to pack all weekend for money. Looking after two fantastic kids. Having to plan boogies around four people instead of one or two. Money. Fatigue. Winter. Money. Moving again. Living 3 hours from the nearest (non-tourist-y) dropzone. Money. Working weekends for money because the job market sucks. Gas. And of course, money.

Yeah. I'd say I feel ya. I've had more "breaks" than I've ever had consecutive jumping weekends. But as you can see, I make it a point to keep in touch with community.

Right now it's working a lame job that requires one weekend day while studying for my Yoga Teacher Certification. It blows. Certainly. We do what we need to do, and in between those things we do what we want. If we hold out long enough, eventually that balance tips in our favor.

..............I hope. [:/]

OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

I quit about 20 years ago, and started again 7 years ago. I had more to do with my life than left room for skydiving.

Skydiving for me is a part of life, not its definition. Yes, it might change in the next few years with fuel prices, availability, etc. But, ya know -- there are millions of happy people without skydiving. And, ya know, I was one of them for much of that time. Skydiving is a lagniappe, not the main course.

But that's me.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That's a funny thing to ask around here. Some days it seems like 3/4 of the people here are on a "break" from skydiving.

Personally, my answer would depend on what you consider a break. Taking the winter off? A couple months following a surgery?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Wow, first thanks to everyone so far who has responded. I never would have guessed that this many people had/shared similar experiences.

It makes me feel like I am making the right decision for now.

As far as livendive's question, I consider a break to be any period of time in which you aren't skydiving due to some personal/life issue that you need to resolve or that is of more importance.
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

The army makes it hard for me to jump, when you consider that the nearest place to jump for me is usually in excess of 100 miles... I'm fightin just to get through my levels let alone my A license. every time i get ready to go again i have enough money for a few jumps and retraining fees. [:/]

this has just precipitated the dropzone vs. wal-mart thread:S

Fly it like you stole it

I've been taking "breaks" for the past five years since I started jumping. Jumped some the first year as I was still in high school, but when I went away to college and had to sell the gear to help pay for school and all, it was on and off throughout the five years of school. My longest break was on two occasions; a year each time, and I'm just over a year for the second occasion and ready to get back in the game since I graduated (finally) and got some new gear (finally). BUT... then again theres "life"-- bills, student loans, gas prices going up, so I might be holding onto that gear for a while. [:/]

So... just do whatever you need to do and take it as it rolls is the best thing I can tell you.

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I really do not believe that we'll be skydiving in another 15 years. I really hope I'm wrong, I really do. I'd hate to take a break, try to come back and find that skydiving has been regulated and priced out of existence.

talk about depressssssssing

I quit skydiving about four years ago. It was a great way to spend my early 20s, and I miss it in an abstract way. But now I am busy being married, gestating children, being a homeowner, changing careers, etc. I am very, very happy without skydiving, which was a source of great fun, but also great stress, both emotional and financial.

I can see myself being Wendy-ish, and coming back when my kids are less, er, fetal. I can also see myself taking up paragliding or windsurfing or piloting, instead. There's a world full of adventure out there.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I have had several breaks due to finances, family etc. So far I am at over a year since my last skydive. I have three kids now and JUST returned from an Iraq deployment 13 days ago.

I really want to get back into it, but right now my kids are my biggest priority. I missed them so much during my deployment. My wife is also working now (she started back 2 months ago) and she does a lot of traveling.

Hopefully I can get back and jump a little this summer. I miss it, but like you said, it is expensive and the dropzone is 2.5 hour drive.

You can always talk s@#t in the Bonfire though, I also really like to read the safety and training forums, that kind of keeps jumping/procedures in my head (even though nothing compares to the real thing).

later
Ryan
glad to be here!!