psipike02

Have you ever had to take a break from skydiving or anything due to other things in your life?

So, I was kind of wondering if anyone else has gone through this at some point....

I decided to take a break from skydiving for a few reasons:

1. Money is tight enough right now, and I just can't find a reason to go and use it on jumping when I know I need it for bills, to live, groceries, gas, etc.
2. Gas. Enough said.
3. Me being the size that I am, it was impossible for me to find used gear. I was SO sick of jumping student gear that i'd rather just not jump after awhile. I am still in the process of getting it together piece by piece. All I need is a reserve and cypres. Some people don't understand why its taking me so long, but I barely have money from week to week, let alone using it for a rig.
4. Career. I am in the process of studying for the GRE (already in grad school, but have to take it anyways....formalities) and the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (which by the way if ANYONE has taken, any advice you can give would be awesome).

The GRE won't be hard at all. The FE exam is an 8 hour test on basically everything from my undergrad. It is the first step to becoming a professionally licensed engineer.

Anyways, long story short, due to these things that we can sum up into one category as "Trying to get my life in order", I feel that skydiving needs to move to the backburner for awhile.

I absolutely hate that, but its a reality. Has anyone else ever had to do something similar? It really sucks but I'm trying to keep my priorities straight and right now, skydiving can't be at the top of that list. [:/]
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

yes. life happens.

my ex boyfriend almost died in a BASE accident in Oct 2006, then I bought a house, then I tore my ACL and had surgery.

September will be 2 years off for me, but I plan to start jumping again this September as long as I am cleared by my surgeon and I have all my damn bills paid off.

moral of the story... the sky will always be there:)

Three years ago this month I did my level 8 and was looking forward to getting my A but like others said life happens. I'll start again when I can afford to jump more often. I need to get rid of some debt first. Getting pretty close though. Don't know if it will be this summer or next but hopefully soon.

I've just had the five year anniversary of my "break."

I had many reasons. No. 1 - money was tight. I spent plenty of money I didn't have in skydiving. It didn't make sense for me to continue spending more money instead of putting it toward credit cards.

No. 2 - I began dating my present wife. Frankly, she was more important to me than skydiving.

No. 3 - I have continued my absence because I now have a wife, kids, house, business - all of those things that take priority over skydiving.

I miss it. I miss it terribly. But, like gigging again with a band, it just isn't as relevant as taking care of my affairs. The sky will always be there. And when I'm ready to go back, I will do so.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I hear ya! My jumping has slowed down to almost nothing since I bought my house AND changed to a lower stress job 5 years ago. I'm working fewer hours and therefore making less, plus homeownership is just plain tough.

In 2006, I made only 1 jump all year long. It was early spring, I could barely zip up my suit, went low on the skydive and had zero chance of recovery. I decided not only was I too "poor" to jump, I was too fat! I had no control over my fall rate and my weight gain plus lack of currency made wingloading a pretty serious issue. :$ Since then I've done something about my weight, but my finances barely allow me to stay current- in fact, I haven't made a jump since last September, something I hope to change this weekend.

The skies will still be there for you when you are ready for them again!

:)
Eventually, I'll be back...it's just a matter of time (and finances B|:D).

In the meantime, I'm living in paradise, looking at the ocean on a daily basis, and studying my brains out following my dream. There are other things for me to do here that aren't "expensive" as I can go hiking (love the mountains), swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving (when I feel like spoiling myself). B|
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

It's been 3 and a half years for me. Life just caught up with me so skydiving went in the freezer only to be thawed out when I achieve certain personal goals. For the moment I have mixed feelings between "been there done that" and still having every intention of getting back in the air when life permits.

It sucks being forced to grow up. :D

www.FourWheelerHB.com

You sound like you feel guilty about taking some time off. Skydiving is something to do for yourself and under life circumstances that make it possible. Skydiving is NOT something you should do just because someone else thinks you should. What matters is that you keep your priorities straight and keep yourself safe in the sky when you DO jump. If that means jumping when you can do it consistently and regularly, then that has to be your priority. You'll get there when you get there.
TPM Sister #102

My old dropzone went to shit because of poor management so I didn't jump much for a while. Then as I was getting started at the new one I got into a motorcycle accident and was put out for even longer. I'm not going to jump again until I know I can get up to speed quickly and get back onto staff.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Ya , every winter I take 6 months off cause I hate jumping in the cold.
( great white north and all) And I have to stop every Sunday cause I have to work all week to pay for more jumps. I wish I could win the loto then all my problems would be solved.:ph34r:

Willy

growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Has anyone else ever had to do something similar?

Yeah, I'm doing it right now. I've made one skydive this year - partly due to weather, partly due to school, but mostly due to the fact this year's priority is a 250+ mile hike on the PCT (starting on June 21st). If I were to break myself before the hike... well, it wouldn't be pretty.

Skydiving will still be there when you're ready to make it a priority again.

I am taking a break (for now) because I have no option but to do so. My orthopedic told me that if I break my bad leg again, I may not be able to walk at all!

I am just waiting until I loose some weight and be able to run normally.

On the other hand, I would put skydiving ahead of ANYTHING (food, water, school, sex, video games,). I will make life work around skydiving. If the sky is going to be there for a while, I may not, so why waste another day!

I am a big guy like the OPer, I am not going to jump any smaller than 300 ft main (at least for a while). but I picked a second job to work overnight, instead of sleeping, to pay medical bills and save up for a new gear.

For all of you who are whining about some stupid shit! You are missing A LOT

-Amer
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" Franklin

Nope, no breaks yet, unless you count a couple of weeks here and there due to weather and/or work.

I really do not believe that we'll be skydiving in another 15 years. I really hope I'm wrong, I really do. I'd hate to take a break, try to come back and find that skydiving has been regulated and priced out of existence.

I am a big guy like the OPer, I am not going to jump any smaller than 300 ft main (at least for a while).

Same here, except I'm not going to go below 100sq ft. I jump a big canopy, it's three digits.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've barely been jumping for the past 3 years. I broke my leg on a SUPER-dumbass landing 3 years ago which forced some time off. I was slowly getting back into it when I moved to Venezuela. The only reason I moved to Venezuela was that I talked to a guy who was opening a DZ 20 minutes from where I live...Then I learned lesson #1...Don't trust Venezuelans.

Skydive Venezuela is super far from where I live and a huge pain to get to, so for my first 20 months there I only made about 20 jumps. Now I work for South American ops which has me travelling everywhere between Mexico and Argentina and I always have my rig, but it's rare I find myself in a place that offers skydiving when I have a day off, and sometimes more than anything jumping just reminds me of how I used to be a better skydiver when I was making 40 jumps a month:(.

Hoping to get a transfer to a desk up in TX within the next year, make Skydive Dallas my home again and go hard!

I got nuthin

Taking a break now because of my shoulders. Have to have surgery to repair both of them. They dislocate very easily. Just 2 weeks ago, my right shoulder dislocated when I SNEEZED! So, I've been grounded since January of this year...

I miss it. I miss it bad!!! :(

~Built for Abuse
www.skydivethefarm.com

So, I was kind of wondering if anyone else has gone through this at some point....

I decided to take a break from skydiving for a few reasons:

1. Money is tight enough right now, and I just can't find a reason to go and use it on jumping when I know I need it for bills, to live, groceries, gas, etc.
2. Gas. Enough said.
3. Me being the size that I am, it was impossible for me to find used gear. I was SO sick of jumping student gear that i'd rather just not jump after awhile. I am still in the process of getting it together piece by piece. All I need is a reserve and cypres. Some people don't understand why its taking me so long, but I barely have money from week to week, let alone using it for a rig.
4. Career. I am in the process of studying for the GRE (already in grad school, but have to take it anyways....formalities) and the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (which by the way if ANYONE has taken, any advice you can give would be awesome).

The GRE won't be hard at all. The FE exam is an 8 hour test on basically everything from my undergrad. It is the first step to becoming a professionally licensed engineer.

Anyways, long story short, due to these things that we can sum up into one category as "Trying to get my life in order", I feel that skydiving needs to move to the backburner for awhile.

I absolutely hate that, but its a reality. Has anyone else ever had to do something similar? It really sucks but I'm trying to keep my priorities straight and right now, skydiving can't be at the top of that list. [:/]

Sounds like you got your head on right. I am sure gravity will still work when your ready to return. Good luck and blue skies. Have you tried becoming a packer for extra gear money and jumps?
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Yep. Like lots here have said, various reasons. Kids. Mortgage. Went back to college and cut back to half time work. Income going to the important things like food and house and insurance and all that stuff.

Went back 8 years ago. Enjoying every jump.

And as far as putting gear together - keep checking the classifieds here. real bargains crop up, but you have to be ready to jump on them before someone else does.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Last summer, skydiving consumed my life. Before skydiving I had been a triathlete, racing at least twice a month in the summer. Last year I did about 4 races total. But it was cool cause I was having a blast. I was forced to take an 8 monthe break due to an Iraq deployment but now I'm back and heading to the DZ this weekend. I have promised myself that I will do more than jump this summer. I kind of feel that I'm missing a lot of other great stuff going on out there. And there are a ton of women I could be meeting too:ph34r:

The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I saw your post last night. It was almost weird. I have been going through the same thought process for months now.

I will not be able to jump at all this year (Financial/Job issues) and could use the money my gear would get me for bills and living.

It is so hard for me to bring my self to put the gear up for sell. I don’t know why but I have an attachment to it. I am also afraid that if I sell it I might never be in the position to afford it again.

Hearing a lot of people say they have had to do the same thing has made the decision easier yet I still have not made the decision.
I have no idea why this is so difficult. It’s like trying to sell a puppy dog that you really love.:(

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Hey psipike02,

Good for you for knowing when it's time to ground yourself. It sucks, it really does. In fact, five years ago when I had to ground myself it hurt. It was like taking a piece of my heart out.

Last year when I attempted the wind tunnel to see if my shoulder was better, I sadly realized that I was going to need surgery because the manager of the tunnel told me I would never fly again...without pins. I was devistated.

This past April has been five years since I've been up. Since then I have had surgery, been cleared to jump, hit the tunnel and had ZERO issues! A couple more tunnel visits a repack scheduling, and I'm ready to go for this summer.

Sometimes we need to do things we don't like, to get where we want to be. You're still a part of the family; we'll all be here when you come back.

SA B|