simplyputsi

Roommate moving, rent due....

So my roommate informed me yesterday that he would be moving out maybe in two weeks, maybe at the end of the month, he doesn't know yet.

This is no big deal I expected him to move out like 5 months ago. The big deal is that rent was due on the 1st and I still have no check.
I have no problem pro rating everything if he is going to be out in 2 weeks, but am I not in the right to say well rent is due on the 1st and so pay me now and if you move out early i'll give you a portion back?

I'm not to happy that he gave me all of possibly 2 weeks to less than a month notice, but whatever it is what it is.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

a bit late for this situation, but something to consider with future roommates:

As my name is the only one on the lease for the house I live in, I am the only one responsible for paying the rent every month. Therefore I have all flatmates sign a standard lease contract when they rent a room from me. In addition to this I also have them pay a security deposit, which is refunded to them after they return the key and if everything is in order.

Works for both parties - they have proof that they do not live with their parents anymore (which means they'll get a bigger student's grant) and I have some security against them trashing the place.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

future roommates is not happening.
I didn't need to do any lease agreement because he is a friend I trust and still do.
It's just that in this instance I think he is wrong to say i'll pay you when I find out when i'm moving out when it's past rent day already.

the post a few ago might have been the simplest, no need to mince words. Rent is due and that is that.
It just won't be that simple.

The conversation that was had yesterday was basically I'm moving out blah blah. I said that is cool. Then he said so when I find out when I'm moving i'll pro rate the rent and pay you that. I was like ummm I guess but when will you know because I need that rent? He said tomorrow or Thursday. I said ok, but the more I think about it the more I don't like the delay.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

future roommates is not happening.

Lcuky you :)

I didn't need to do any lease agreement because he is a friend I trust and still do

In that case I can see a nice compromise: why not agree that you pay the rent, and he pays you back for the amount of days he remains in the house? Or is that what you meant by "pro rate the rent"?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Oh trust me I could use a roommate, but right now the hassle and the inconvenience just isn't worth it to me.
I'm also looking to sell my condo, so it makes it a little easier, not kicking him out when it sells.

By pro rate I mean that if he says he is going to be out the 17th then we take the rent for the month divide it by 30 and then multiply it by 17 and that is what he owes me.

The problem I am having is that rent was due on the 1st, so pay the amount due and if you move I'll give you the pro rated amount back.

When I see him tonight that is going to be what I say. The rent was due on the 1st. I'd appreciate if you paid me what was due and if you move out early we will pro rate it and I'll refund you an agreed upon amount.
I have a feeling he is stalling for pay day. That kind of doesn't make sense though because where would he be getting money to move out then?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I think it sucks that a "friend" would leave you high and dry with less then adequate notice of leaving.

I'm not really high and dry, but yeah the notice could have been a little better.

Just going to have to watch my expenses for a month or two as I'm still recovering from one or two expenses that were not expected.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

You could empty a clip at him - Of course he would be relatively safe - but it will scare the ba-jesus out of him.:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You could empty a clip at him - Of course he would be relatively safe - but it will scare the ba-jesus out of him.:D:D:D

you sob!!:D:D:D

I have a pic or two that would say otherwise. Center mass dead on anywhere from 10 ft to 25 feet, even with rapid fire.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I have a pic or two that would say otherwise. Center mass dead on anywhere from 10 ft to 25 feet, even with rapid fire.

I had to - it was there - and I wouldn't miss that op . . . see you Thursday night.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

he is a friend I trust and still do.
It's just that in this instance I think he is wrong to say i'll pay you when I find out when i'm moving out when it's past rent day already.

So you're so unworried that you're getting online to figure out what to do?

If you need to money then tell him. If you don't then why are you worried?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Well I was bored and just wanted opinions on if it was right of me to pretty much demand payment as it was due the first.

I guess the consensus is that I have every right to. Looking to have him move out and still keep the friendship so that was another reason. I just wanted reassurance I was in the right.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Well I was bored and just wanted opinions on if it was right of me to pretty much demand payment as it was due the first.

I guess the consensus is that I have every right to. Looking to have him move out and still keep the friendship so that was another reason. I just wanted reassurance I was in the right.

OH PU LEESE! You KNOW you just wanted DJL to question your motives of posting this.

Don't try to deny it.:ph34r:

25 feet.:D:D:D:D

25 feet.:D:D:D:D

yeah, on a person. And last night it was 40 feet dead center center mass and in the head. So I would tend to believe that something say as big as a car could be hit at say 50-70 feet.
Skymama's #2 stalker -