LouDiamond

Royal with Cheese

Having seen the famous scene in Pulp Fiction about the "Royal with Cheese" I figured I'd check out McDonalds on my recent trip to France. Some times the movies are real, they do serve beer in McD's and they do have a Royal cheese...or at least they say they do.

So after having some less than impressive french cuisine my associate and I decided to check out McD's. Sure as shit, there was a Royal cheese on the menu and my associate attempted to order it only to find out they couldn't serve him a Royal cheese...they were "out". So my associate asks if the (le)Big mac is available to which he is informed it is indeed available to order. Now I avoid McDs at all costs when in the USA so I look at the menu and the picture of le Big Mac since I am not familiar with what is on it. Le Big Mac is basically a royal cheese with an extra piece of bread and an extra beef patty. So now my associate and I are looking at each other wondering how can they not have a Royal cheese but they do have the le big mac? We never were able to figure out why this was the case but at any rate what John Travolta's character said is true....they have all the same things in Europe as over here, it's just little things that are different. Needless to say when it was my turn to order they didn't have any Freedom fries either. :P
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was in France about 20 years ago. At that time all of the McDonalds were called O'Kitch because apparently they failed whatever sanitary/ cleanliness tests were required to use the McDonalds name. (I can honestly say, Paris in the 80s is probably the filthiest city I had ever been in- seriously!) I seem to recall they did serve a "Royal w/ Cheese" but I figured since they couldn't call themselves McDonalds, they also could not serve Le Big Mac. We asked for everything "bien cuire" (sp??) or well done just to ward off any potential issues! The beer helped too- alcohol kills germs, right?

And the very best cheeseburger I ever had in France was from a street vendor in a small town - Besancon. If I remember this right, it was a mini cheeseburger on a rye bun with grilled onions and mustard. Yum! Of course, if I went back and tried to find those same burgers, I'm sure they wouldn't taste half as good as I remember them but they would still be a hell of a lot better than the Royal with Cheese!

What, they don't serve sushi in France? :P

Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Funny you should ask that. Apparently in France, steak is considered seafood. No matter how you order it, it comes out damn near kicking and screaming. :P

I must say that I had expected the food to be better, (you know the whole french cuisine thing) but despite eating in several "5 star" restaurants, I found the food very disappointing.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

When we were there visiting friends, we found that the best food was often at the little outdoor cafes, rather than the indoor restaurants.

Maybe your steaks kept arriving rare because you kept ordering the tartare sauce with it. :P:D

Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Funny you should ask that. Apparently in France, steak is considered seafood. No matter how you order it, it comes out damn near kicking and screaming. :P

I must say that I had expected the food to be better, (you know the whole french cuisine thing) but despite eating in several "5 star" restaurants, I found the food very disappointing.

You might as well have gone to Germany or Italy to get something great to eat.;)B|

we found that the best food was often at the little outdoor cafes, rather than the indoor restaurants

Didn't seem to make much difference where I was at. Out door cafe or fancy restaurant, they all seemed about the same when it came to the quality of the food.

Remster:

It must be your unsophisticated American palate

Which 5 stars did you go to?

Considering all of the places I ate at while there, I'd have to say the only real 5 star I ate at was McD's. Seriously, I've had better meals at the Bent prop than I had while in France. The only thing I found that tasted very good was the wide assortment of ice creams and gelatos that could be bought on every corner ice cream store. Considering I was in a high end resort area, I expected the cuisine would have been better.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Stay away from the "touristas" venues and go to where the working people eat.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Brilliant. Leave your gun lying on the counter while you turn around to talk to the customers.:S
If the clerks had a clue, he would have an ass full of lead.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Seriously, I've had better meals at the Bent prop than I had while in France.

You must've had very bad luck then.

Considering all of the places I ate at while there, I'd have to say the only real 5 star I ate at was McD's.

Maybe you should try a 5 star place that doesn't serve food in paper bags, next time. But you'll have to get out of your car to order there. ;)

Some French dishes indeed take getting used to (guess that's what makes it so famous) but if you find the right places, you can actually "live like god in France".

If you want common food (pizza, pasta, gelati) that tastes great, Italy's the place to go.

Anyway.. hope you'll be luckier next time. In the worst case, stick to baguette and cheese.. and wine.

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

Maybe you should try a 5 star place that doesn't serve food in paper bags, next time.

Thats just it, the places I ate at required a reservation and a jacket/ tie to get into and sadly to say McD's had them all beat.

In the worst case, stick to baguette and cheese.. and wine.

That is very true and good advise. The bread, cheese and wine that I had were all what I would consider palatable.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Despite the stereotype you are just a little bit biased and anti Frenchy .

I am not biased or against french food, I'm just a bit disappointed that the food was not as good as one would expect it to be.

I take that back....I am not anti frenchy but I am anti Remster and he claims to be french. :P:ph34r:
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

A 5-star retraunt in europe means shit when it comes to the food.
If you want to go and eat good food in europe make sure you go to a place that has at least 2 michellin stars. These stars are how you judge food by the establishment. A 5 star establishment that you are talkign about means shit when it comes to food in europe.
You talk about going to places where you wear a dinner jacket and tie, this is the normal when going out to a half decent establishment in europe for a dinner service. it has nothing to do with the food, more to do with the dinner dress code.

i personally have never seen a place with more than 3 michellin stars.

Jamie oliver does nnot even have a michellin star.

http://search.conduit.com/Results.aspx?q=michelin+star&SelfSearch=1&hl=en&ctid=CT420450&octid=CT420450

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I'll have to agree with you. I've been to France lots of times and never found the food "great" as one would expect or has been led to believe...except for the desserts.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?