NWFlyer

You See A Skydiver In the Middle of O'Hare ... What Do you Do?

I was at a SoCal Home Depot one summer day right before Quincy and saw an RV parked there in the shade, air conditioner running, with a "Quincy or Bust" sticker on the back window.

I actually went back inside and trolled the isles to see if I could pick out who the skydivers were (t-shirts, haircut, style of walking, overall presence....:D). No Go. Couldn't find them.

Went back outside and knocked on the RV's door. No answer. Still don't know who it was. This was back in say 1998 or so.

btw, what IS the profile of a skydiver in public....:ph34r:

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Does your father realize you're out riding all over central Florida when you should be working???

He was the reason I was out in the first place. I'm the lowly office person, I get sent on errands!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

What should I have yelled at this dude at O'Hare?

Geronimo! :P

We saw some people in skydiving shirts at Bangkok Chef in Temecula last night, but then we see people in skydiving shirts about 50% of the time when we eat there (and we eat there a lot). And I guess I've been away from the dz for too long now, because I hardly ever recognize any of them anymore.

We were camping out in the desert a few years ago, had a skydive sticker on our truck, this guys rides his dirt bike right up into the middle of our camp, takes off his helmet and yelled “Who skydives here”? My husband told him “That would be my wife” so we got to talking, ended up hanging out for the rest of the day, his girlfriend jumped in the truck with me, my husband jumped on her quad and we went and played in the desert…..it was fun.

So I'm here in Charlotte, waiting for the rest of my Skyfest traveling crew to get here. And I'm mulling over an experience I had earlier this morning as I'm connecting through O'Hare.

I'm heading down on the escalator to the passageway between terminals. A guy's heading up. I see a t-shirt that looks vaguely familiar and I focus in on it, sure enough, it's a "Jumps from Perfectly Good Airplanes" shirt. I look up at his face, nope, I don't know him at all. It's 5 a.m., I'm fresh off a redeye and my brain is mush, and I can't think of anything random at all to shout at a perfect stranger in a crowded airport to somehow harass him or otherwise acknowledge his skydiverness. And by that point I was at the bottom of the escalator and went on my way.

I thought about it later and all I could come up with was "Hey Asshole!" :D:D If he's a Muff Brother, of course he'll turn immediately and yell "WHAT?" If he's not, he might still wonder if I'm a skydiver, but of course, I wasn't wearing any skydiving t-shirts (I know, sacrilege - new rule - always wear a skydiving t-shirt en route to a boogie!). And I might get some hostile reactions from everyone ELSE on the escalator.

So who's got any better ideas? What should I have yelled at this dude at O'Hare?

And if it was you... identify yourself! (Vague description - white dude, maybe early 40s, thinning brownish hair, medium build, probably around 6' maybe a little shorter).

You should have just showed him your tits and yelled "Altitude!"

I may be old school here but maybe I would have said Hello first and then just asked if the prson was a skydiver and go from there.
I know it's very simple and is outdated to just greet a person with a common introduction, but what the hell it could possibly work beter then just yelling something random that could have meant nothing to that person.
hello! My name is ... I saw your tshirt and do you skydive? crazy concept right there!

Agreed. I have gone up to people before that were wearing skydive shirts and simply said "hey, where do you jump?" One time it was indeed a guy that had only done a tandem, but he was still pleasant to talk to for a few minutes. I would never yell something in an airport or other busy public place if the person was too far away, i would simply let it go. But i don't try to draw attention to the fact i'm a skydiver. I'm rather low key when i'm out in whuffo land.

(sorry for posting mike, do i still get a mike hug?)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hi Flyer,

So I'm taking that you do not know the very old hand-signal for a skydiver.

Ok, here goes: Hold your hand up high with your fist closed, as you lower your hand, about mid-chest level, open it up, palm down, like a canopy opening .

Sheesh, you young people and what you don't know. B|

JerryBaumchen

You should have just showed him your tits and yelled "Altitude!"

No more callers, please...we have a winner!! ;)

Have to admit, that one tops them all... :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon