NWFlyer

You See A Skydiver In the Middle of O'Hare ... What Do you Do?

So I'm here in Charlotte, waiting for the rest of my Skyfest traveling crew to get here. And I'm mulling over an experience I had earlier this morning as I'm connecting through O'Hare.

I'm heading down on the escalator to the passageway between terminals. A guy's heading up. I see a t-shirt that looks vaguely familiar and I focus in on it, sure enough, it's a "Jumps from Perfectly Good Airplanes" shirt. I look up at his face, nope, I don't know him at all. It's 5 a.m., I'm fresh off a redeye and my brain is mush, and I can't think of anything random at all to shout at a perfect stranger in a crowded airport to somehow harass him or otherwise acknowledge his skydiverness. And by that point I was at the bottom of the escalator and went on my way.

I thought about it later and all I could come up with was "Hey Asshole!" :D:D If he's a Muff Brother, of course he'll turn immediately and yell "WHAT?" If he's not, he might still wonder if I'm a skydiver, but of course, I wasn't wearing any skydiving t-shirts (I know, sacrilege - new rule - always wear a skydiving t-shirt en route to a boogie!). And I might get some hostile reactions from everyone ELSE on the escalator.

So who's got any better ideas? What should I have yelled at this dude at O'Hare?

And if it was you... identify yourself! (Vague description - white dude, maybe early 40s, thinning brownish hair, medium build, probably around 6' maybe a little shorter).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You never know. Fireflytx said blue skies to a guy who had a jumper shirt on and he looked at her like she was from mars. We found out later that he bought the shirt while his friend was doing a tandem.:S:S We wouldn't have even talked to him but he kept buying us drinks.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Ask him if there is such a thing as a perfectly good airplane.

or

Just say "DOOOR" everyone will laugh, look at you funny...but the skydiver would get it. No one would get their panties in a wad over that.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

We wouldn't have even talked to him but he kept buying us drinks.

Nice. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A

Just say "DOOOR" everyone will laugh, look at you funny...but the skydiver would get it. No one would get their panties in a wad over that.

Ooooh, eeneR FTW - that would have been hilarious. I would totally do that if I was in the right mindset. I'd have a bunch of people on an escalator looking at me like I was nuts, but it'd be totally worth it!

So who's got any better ideas? What should I have yelled at this dude at O'Hare?

And if it was you... identify yourself! (Vague description - white dude, maybe early 40s, thinning brownish hair, medium build, probably around 6' maybe a little shorter).

Not me...I'm 6'4"

I always wave off and pull...If you need their attention, "Dooooorrrrr!"

They normally recognize that. Started using it while driving down I-95 and passing a guy that had a pull up cord hanging from his rear view mirror. I waved off and pulled and he was like YEAH!!!!!

:)

You never know. Fireflytx said blue skies to a guy who had a jumper shirt on and he looked at her like she was from mars. We found out later that he bought the shirt while his friend was doing a tandem.:S:S We wouldn't have even talked to him but he kept buying us drinks.:D:D

yep, Ive had one of those experiences too... quite embarrasing for me, mine didnt turn out as good as yours. [:/]

Your post reminded me that I look this picture on the road the other day and was wondering who it was. The sticker is a Skydive City sticker. I sped up, looked at him through the windows (didn't recognize him), flashed him a "hang-loose" sign and drove off, hoping he'd see my freeflying sticker in my window so he wouldn't think I was a crazy person. :ph34r:

As far as the person in the airport, I think I would have yelled out, "going to Skyfest?" or something dorky like that.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Driving up the Florida Turnpike, stopped at those stupid service plazas for some grub...a couple was there and we recognized clothing that defined us all as jumpers....amazing what a boogie t-shirt will do for you!
"DOOOOR!!!! Hey cool! Where do you jump?"
they were from Sebastian...I need to get to that dz more often...B|

What should I have yelled at this dude at O'Hare?

Nothing, for there is no guarantee that the guy was actually a skydiver.

How do I know this? That shirt was one of my biggest sellers when I had the store. Most of them were purchased by tandem passengers. :D

That is actually brilliant. If he is a funjumper then he will definetly get the refrence if you scream Scott Lutz at him. If he doesn't get it you can play if off easily by saying sorry wrong guy!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I may be old school here but maybe I would have said Hello first and then just asked if the prson was a skydiver and go from there.
I know it's very simple and is outdated to just greet a person with a common introduction, but what the hell it could possibly work beter then just yelling something random that could have meant nothing to that person.
hello! My name is ... I saw your tshirt and do you skydive? crazy concept right there!

Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com