flyangel2

Gotta love Calif's laws

Two new laws dealing with the use of wireless telephones while driving...

"While driving", so it is a moving violation.

A: The base fine for the FIRST offense is $20 and $50 for subsequent convictions. According to the Uniform Bail and Penalty Schedule, with the addition of penalty assessments, a first offense is $76 and a second offense is $190.

We'd like your money.

A: NO. The violation is a reportable offense: however, DMV will not assign a violation point.

So, it is a moving violation... but not one.

Wouldn't it be easier to just add $20 to the cost of the annual license renewal ? Same revenue and they'd save money by not hiring the extra cops.

I highly recommend this:

Jabra BT8040

You can get them for about $60 online. The thing is so small and lightweight I can't even tell it's in my ear. I just leave it in all day, but it's easy enough to keep in your car and put it in while driving. I can run with it, too. Sometimes I get in bed at night and I check my ear to make sure I didn't leave it in on accident.

The sound is so good, not one person has complained about hearing me - the funny thing is I get more complaints about sound quality if I'm talking directly on my phones, but not if I use this bluetooth headset.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I actually find myself more distracted when using the hands free device than when not using it. As much as I use my phone while driving, and as much as this will be a nuinsense, I think that the law is a good thing.

Regardless people are going to be distracted whether hands free or not. For me its easier to use a headset because then I'm not restricted from keeping my head on a swivel. I guess that's why I don't understand why so many people are determined not to use a headset.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

The headset thing will reduce the number of accidents caused by road rage. I'll show ya what I mean when we drive to the post office next week.

It's kinda too bad the teenager thing doesn't stretch to drivers under 20 instead of only 18. Again, I'll show ya what I mean when we drive to the post office next week. :ph34r:

Now I'm scared. Can't we just walk to the PO and carry the re-supply boxes? It'll be a good work out;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

>Do they think this is going to help decress the number of accidents?

It will to some degree. Not as much as an outright ban would.

>What about making a law against eat/putting make-up on/changing
>the radio/talking to your children in the backseat/etc?

If those things start causing accidents at the rate cellphone usage does, then I could see them doing that.

Can't we just walk to the PO and carry the re-supply boxes? It'll be a good work out

Oh no. Friday is a rest day. If I can't drink or jump, you can't walk.

Okay, you can drink and jump, and I'll walk;)

Then after I've kick your ass cause you broke your ankle, and your hung-over and we can't make this year long planning trip happen, I'll kick your ass again;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Do they think this is going to help decress the number of accidents? What about making a law against eat/putting make-up on/changing the radio/talking to your children in the backseat/etc?

I will happily support a police officer's decision to ticket someone if it's apparent to them that the driver is not paying attention.

I'm glad this law is spreading.

Just what we need... more babysitter laws.:S

California also made it legal for any police officer to pull you over if you're smoking in your vehicle, just to see if you have a child in the back seat. I don't support smoking in front of kids and I make every effort to keep it out of their sight and out of the air. (that's why I smoke outside the house) However, this is just more cause for harrassment. When I get pulled over for anything, I usually get bombarded with random questions having little or nothing to do with the cause for being pulled over. i.e. seatbelt and then being asked if he can search my car... FUCK YOU GUY... gimme my damn ticket and I'll see ya down the road. I don't get pulled over very often, but when I do, it's usually for some random bullshit. Late at night, anyone can get pulled for swerving, regardless of actual driving behavior at the time because it's officer's discretion.

All that being said, It wouldn't be fair to sit here and knock all cops. I've only been pulled over a few times, so I've only experienced a few police officers out there. I can only vouch for that which I've experienced. Also, it's the lawmakers that make such unpleasant experiences possible.

I don't support the law, even though I ride a motorcycle and it seems like 9 times out of 10, the guy or girl that almost hits me is on a cell phone and never even realized they almost turned me into a hood ornament.

Ok... done rambling... On to SC.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

gonzo, from my understanding on the smoking in car one, they cannot pull you over for smoking even if a kid is visible. they can only pull you over for something else *suspicious behavior or some other bs.* then after pulling you over for that, also cite you for smoking with child in car.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Q: Does the new “hands-free” law prohibit you from dialing a wireless telephone while driving or just talking on it?
A: The new law does not prohibit dialing,but drivers are strongly urged not to dial while driving.

ok so you can't take just 1 hand off the wheel to place or answer a call (this would be wrong, dangerous & illegal) but it is okay, you can take 1 hand off the wheel, if you also take both of your eyes & your concentration, off the road to look at the phone, locate the contact & dial. yet once you've placed the call, you can't simply look back at & focus on the road & traffic talking to whomever you just dialed when they answer, unless it's hands-free. because???? comparatively speaking that would be more dangerous & wrong???? WTF?

Q: Does the new “hands-free” law allow drivers 18 and over to text page while driving?
A: The law does not specifically prohibit that, but an officer can pull over and issue a citation to a driver of any age if, in the officer’s opinion, the driver was distracted and not operating the vehicle safely. Text paging while driving is unsafe at any speed and is strongly discouraged. - more -
WTF 7 ways from Sunday? phone calls without handsfree service are completely prohibited but looking at a screen & keybo--- never mind don't even get me started. >:(>:(>:(

Q: Will it be legal to use a Blue Tooth or other earpiece?
A: Yes, however you cannot have BOTH ears covered.
but you can have both of your eyes & your attention taken off the road & traffic, surroundings to continuously diddle, fiddle & fumble with the keyboard & read a tiny screen (so you couldn't possibly be watching the road) sending & receiving text messages, which is 10x's more distracting & dangerous then placing a regular wireless call, but you can't simply use it as a phone? DOUBLE WTF?
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

Regardless people are going to be distracted whether hands free or not. For me its easier to use a headset because then I'm not restricted from keeping my head on a swivel. I guess that's why I don't understand why so many people are determined not to use a headset.

oh i'm all for the hands free headset laws. we've had one here forever. i agree it's safer. but you can text message while driving? sorry that's fucking-ass-backwards.
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak