aresye

Hard Opening

Guess what? They can and will bite you like I read here. I think complacency led to being lazy about the slider as I’m sure that was the culprit.

Its such a coincidence that this weekend seems to be the one where everyone is learning lessons from doing their own packing. :)

I think your point is a good one--complacency in general with this sport plays a big factor in how you progress, or perhaps learn tougher lessons. On the last few pack jobs I have had an experienced skydiver show me the "shortcut" way of packing [i.e. not necessarily having the flake the canopy so neatly and folding it very cleanly.] Now that I'm getting more proficient at packing, I am losing a bit of the meticulous method I learned. I do pack faster and the canopy does open, but I am paying the price now with a bit of a sore neck from harder openings.

Basically can we say that harder openings in re: to packing [not body position] can be caused by (1) not protecting the nose and (2) not pushing the slider all the way down before rolling it up into a cone and (3) not rolling the nose into the tail?

I have also had small asymmetry with the the canopy inflating more quickly on one side, once the slider has come down, which causes the canopy to dive a little bit. How can I remedy this?

Thanks!

Basically can we say that harder openings in re: to packing [not body position] can be caused by (1) not protecting the nose

???
Do you wear a nose protector while skydiving?

and (2) not pushing the slider all the way down before rolling it up into a cone and (3) not rolling the nose into the tail?

Do you roll the slider?:S And roll the nose where?
You have a really interesting packing style!

Please flake that canopy cleanly? There are no line burns on it. ;)
With the particular canopy you're jumping, rolling the four cells on each side of the center cell before "centering" the nose will help for equalized inflation. You shouldn't be rolling the nose into the tail no matter what. I can show Aaron or Jose what to show you for this weekend if you'd like. Or you can just get yourself down here before I leave again.

Be sure the slider is completely against the canopy as you cocoon it.
Be sure the lines are straight/taut as you're flaking and rolling it.
Cleanly quarter the slider.
Don't roll the nose into the tail.

Although any canopy can open hard, that one shouldn't. The Silhouette is known for soft, on-heading openings, and yours is a little different than others. The four layers of bottom skin make it open even more softly.

Since you're experimenting with freeflying, also be very sure to slow yourself before deploying. Going from a sit straight to belly with no pause might be responsible for harder openings due to higher speed. Ask Andy or Mel for tips on grabbing lots of air before deployment?
Be sure to be squared up before deploying as well? That may square up your opening.

???
Do you wear a nose protector while skydiving?

Sorry, still getting a hang of the terminology. Protecting the nose I meant by when you are done flaking, quarter the slider, pull up the tail, push the nose in to the center cells, and then roll ...? Does that make sense?

Do you roll the slider?:S And roll the nose where?
You have a really interesting packing style!

No I don't roll the nose/slider, I think I'm just failing at describing how I'm doing it.

With the particular canopy you're jumping, rolling the four cells on each side of the center cell before "centering" the nose will help for equalized inflation. You shouldn't be rolling the nose into the tail no matter what. I can show Aaron or Jose what to show you for this weekend if you'd like. Or you can just get yourself down here before I leave again.

Although any canopy can open hard, that one shouldn't. The Silhouette is known for soft, on-heading openings, and yours is a little different than others. The four layers of bottom skin make it open even more softly.

Since you're experimenting with freeflying, also be very sure to slow yourself before deploying. Going from a sit straight to belly with no pause might be responsible for harder openings due to higher speed. Ask Andy or Mel for tips on grabbing lots of air before deployment?
Be sure to be squared up before deploying as well? That may square up your opening.

Thanks Spot. I continue to try to flake cleanly. Other reason why I'm asking about how to pack efficiently but without sacrificing the integrity of the canopy/opening, is if the slider travels down the lines too quickly I worry about wearing down the lines/grommets. I'm not quite sure about rolling the cells before centering the nose, I haven't been taught that...I'll just have to watch Jose+Aaron pack next time I'm there.

With all this talk of the Slider being so important in the slowing of the opening of your canopy, how come it has taken so long for a canopy to be fitted with an attachment point/points to keep the slider up and in place while packing, Im speaking of the velo comp. Or is this feature just for a higher preformance canopy. Would putting this feature on all canopys help eliminate this problem or could it possibly add to a slew of many others.
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.

With all this talk of the Slider being so important in the slowing of the opening of your canopy, how come it has taken so long for a canopy to be fitted with an attachment point/points to keep the slider up and in place while packing, Im speaking of the velo comp. Or is this feature just for a higher preformance canopy.

Size does matter. In case of normal or large gear you do not need any hardware to keep it slider on the stops.

With all this talk of the Slider being so important in the slowing of the opening of your canopy, how come it has taken so long for a canopy to be fitted with an attachment point/points to keep the slider up and in place while packing, Im speaking of the velo comp. Or is this feature just for a higher preformance canopy. Would putting this feature on all canopys help eliminate this problem or could it possibly add to a slew of many others.

A lot of people do use something like that. I had my rigger attatch a small stow on the slider with a rubber band on it. When I am packing, I take a bite of the D Lines near the tail and stow them to the band on my slider.

It helps keep the slider at the top of the lines longer, and also helps keep the lines in the center of the packjob when cocooning and putting the canopy in the bag.

Edit to add: it has given me some very sweet openings.
BASE 1384

I would love to see a picture of where the slider stow band is located and how far up you grasp the D lines to make the stow. This is a setup I might be interested in trying myself. Is the stow band placed directly on the rear of the slider in the middle? A photo would really be appreciated.

Ok, I think I finally get what you're talking about with rolling the cells before centering the nose...if I understand correctly, this video contradicts what you're saying? He is rolling the nose into the tail? Just want to be sure I understand the step you are describing (at around 3:30.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXiK89iWhg&NR=1

Ok, I think I finally get what you're talking about with rolling the cells before centering the nose...if I understand correctly, this video contradicts what you're saying? He is rolling the nose into the tail? Just want to be sure I understand the step you are describing (at around 3:30.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXiK89iWhg&NR=1

Not quite. If you look there, the tail and the nose are not rolled together, but rather the tail is rolled without gathering up any of the nose. He is folding the two sides of the nose towards the center cell, however. Still a little different than what I've described here. With that Silhouette, I typically roll/fold the nose the way you see Mike doing it, but then placed the separate rolls into each side of the center cell, and then push the whole nose into the center of the pack job.

I would love to see a picture of where the slider stow band is located and how far up you grasp the D lines to make the stow. This is a setup I might be interested in trying myself. Is the stow band placed directly on the rear of the slider in the middle? A photo would really be appreciated.

Yeah the stow is on the rear portion of the slider in the middle. I leave my rig at the DZ, but i will get a picture this weekend and post it up.
BASE 1384

Yeah the stow is on the rear portion of the slider in the middle. I leave my rig at the DZ, but i will get a picture this weekend and post it up.

Yes, I would love to see it too. I'm too old to take many openings like Saturday, and with a slippery canopy like these new ones I think it adds a bit of a safety margin.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

thanks for the photo, the idea makes total sense, has any on thought of putting a small magnet on the bottom skin of the canopy and the top front of the slider? Just throwing ideas into the wind!
D.S 174.2

Be careful what you say. Some one might take it the right way.