DSE

Congrats again to GrannyintheSky

She referred to it here.

Congrats Grannyinthesky, at least you got your first reserve ride out of the way relatively early!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

For handling a cutaway very nicely, landing fairly well (in spite of flaring the reserve about 30' too high
It was a lot of fun having you and your crew at SDU this weekend.

Oh, my. I knew I was a little high when I flared, but 30 feet too high. Wow! I guess there was a little extra adrenaline in my system.

I will say, it was sure a surprise when I opened at around 4000 feet to a canopy that thought I wanted a carnival ride. It was starting to spin when I opened. The toggles appeared to be where they belonged, so I grabbed them and flared. I was still spinning and it was picking up speed nicely, so I tried a second time. Twice was enough, like I was taught. I did discover it's a little harder to pull the cutaway handle when you are spinning and your weight is against it, but it does work. I was pulling the reserve as the same time I felt the RSL help out. Boy, was that pretty blue canopy a nice sight. It opened fine and flew so nicely. I was in the saddle under the reserve at about 2000 feet, so I had time to get to and set up a landing pattern. In spite of flaring high, the landing was ok. I know better than to let up on the toggles. I knew I still had my reserve handle when I landed, but the cutaway handle had attached itself to one of the risers, and I had it too. The freebag landed about 6 feet from the main, so I got everything back (thanks SDU staff). It's all going to my rigger this afternoon and I'll see just what I did to pack myself a mal so I don't repeat that experience. :$ Once is quite adequate.

I had a great time this weekend at Skydive Utah, and can't wait to come again. I still have a jump ticket waiting to be used. B|B|B|B|
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

:oOh my god i am in awe. congrats granny. and thanks for the boost of confidence & security. Im just now getting ready for my 1st dive ever. you go granny. B|
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

For handling a cutaway very nicely, landing fairly well (in spite of flaring the reserve about 30' too high
It was a lot of fun having you and your crew at SDU this weekend.

Oh, my. I knew I was a little high when I flared, but 30 feet too high. Wow! I guess there was a little extra adrenaline in my system.

I will say, it was sure a surprise when I opened at around 4000 feet to a canopy that thought I wanted a carnival ride. It was starting to spin when I opened. The toggles appeared to be where they belonged, so I grabbed them and flared. I was still spinning and it was picking up speed nicely, so I tried a second time. Twice was enough, like I was taught. I did discover it's a little harder to pull the cutaway handle when you are spinning and your weight is against it, but it does work. I was pulling the reserve as the same time I felt the RSL help out. Boy, was that pretty blue canopy a nice sight. It opened fine and flew so nicely. I was in the saddle under the reserve at about 2000 feet, so I had time to get to and set up a landing pattern. In spite of flaring high, the landing was ok. I know better than to let up on the toggles. I knew I still had my reserve handle when I landed, but the cutaway handle had attached itself to one of the risers, and I had it too. The freebag landed about 6 feet from the main, so I got everything back (thanks SDU staff). It's all going to my rigger this afternoon and I'll see just what I did to pack myself a mal so I don't repeat that experience. :$ Once is quite adequate.

I had a great time this weekend at Skydive Utah, and can't wait to come again. I still have a jump ticket waiting to be used. B|B|B|B|

Your one up on me now Pat :D:D:ph34r::ph34r: Glad that things went well - I want to hear about your week;)
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Good job Granny!! I so cannot wait to meet you!!

I'd like to meet you too. It'll happen one of these days. B| Maybe by then, I'll be better at the jumping part of thngs. I sure figured out quickly that I've got a lot to learn and that it's going to be a lot of fun trying, (at least for me, although I'm not so sure about people jumping with me)

POPS #10490

Way to go Pat! I'm glad everything went well for you! So what took you down to Utah? I grew up there. Made my first 20 or so jumps there before I married my skydiving instructor and he moved me up to the Great Northwest. I've heard the DZ I learned at isn't even there anymore. :( One of these days when I'm visiting down there I'll have to stop in and check out Skydive Utah. :)

It was starting to spin when I opened. The toggles appeared to be where they belonged, so I grabbed them and flared. I was still spinning and it was picking up speed nicely, so I tried a second time. Twice was enough, like I was taught. I did discover it's a little harder to pull the cutaway handle when you are spinning and your weight is against it, but it does work. I was pulling the reserve as the same time I felt the RSL help out. Boy, was that pretty blue canopy a nice sight. It opened fine and flew so nicely. I was in the saddle under the reserve at about 2000 feet, so I had time to get to and set up a landing pattern.

NO SHIT! :o:)

You GO Granny...great awarness, great job!B|

I've been around a while ~ seen 'em come & seen 'em go...so nice to see one like Granny coming...She's one of us, she's 'got it', AND she 'gets' it! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Way to go Pat! I'm glad everything went well for you! So what took you down to Utah? I grew up there. Made my first 20 or so jumps there before I married my skydiving instructor and he moved me up to the Great Northwest. I've heard the DZ I learned at isn't even there anymore. One of these days when I'm visiting down there I'll have to stop in and check out Skydive Utah.

Well, when you jump at a 182 dz, it's really nice to go somewhere with a bigger plane, so a group of us from Star made a road trip. It's only a little over 4 hours from Boise to SLC. It was a fantastic place to go, great people and a fun place to jump. If you make it that way, let me know and I'd see about another road trip. Oh, and I am probably going to be at Kapowsin the end of the month. Just giving you fair warning. lol B|B|

POPS #10490

NO SHIT!

You GO Granny...great awarness, great job!

I've been around a while ~ seen 'em come & seen 'em go...so nice to see one like Granny coming...She's one of us, she's 'got it', AND she 'gets' it!

Thanks, It may have taken me a few years more than most to find my way to the sky, but I plan on being mighty persistent about getting there just as often as I can, for as long as I can. It's just waaaaaaay too much fun to do anything else. Took my gear to the rigger yesterday so I can get back in the air for our Thursday evening jumping. B|B|

POPS #10490

Well, when you jump at a 182 dz, it's really nice to go somewhere with a bigger plane, so a group of us from Star made a road trip. It's only a little over 4 hours from Boise to SLC.

Way the rip that cord Granny@!! Your more then one up on me now Granny.. and well taken care of also... flaring a little high, heck I did that for my first 4 jumps consistently , religiously and with persistence.... until....

but that 4 hr ROAD TRIP??? TO GET AWAY FROM A 182 DZ???

I just can't get that....I have to do a ' 4 hr road trip' every time we go to the dz and i can only go when someone else is going, and i pay gas... lol
ok seriously though and it's been a 182 oohh sometimes we got a 206YAH!! DZ until be brought in the Caravan. Now its a 270 jumps, 42 FJC students, and 50 tandems in a day DZ.

I guess I take it for granted that I have a relatively 'short' ride to get down to the wind tunnel, (thats 20 hrs from my home) or down to Gan where I did my first AFF (thats about 8 hrs from here).

Been thinking of moving to BC, snd wondering if the DZ distances would be just as far there.... as they are here.

Granny, I'm still super impressed with your awareness of the situation. I know how it can be sort of 'dizzying' to be spinning so fast (was just doing that a while back in my dives :() but your ability to think it through,
and execute your plan is awesome!
B|
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

but that 4 hr ROAD TRIP??? TO GET AWAY FROM A 182 DZ???

I just can't get that....I have to do a ' 4 hr road trip' every time we go to the dz and i can only go when someone else is going, and i pay gas... lol

I guess I didn't appreciate how reasonable my drive is here. My dz is only about a half hour from work and an additional 15-20 minutes from home. You can't beat the people there, but a bit bigger plane once in a while is sure a treat. B|

POPS #10490

good job grannyinthesky.....:)
not only for handling the cutaway so cleanly but for starting to really turn the pages,, in your log book... ( 37 jumps in the profile, i remember when you joined us here, with only a few AFF dives.....)

aren't new and fresh accomplishments...FUN???!!!

the King Air... Alll those jumps so quickly in succession,,,, 2 ways 3 ways 4 ways!!!!!

SEVEN ways!!!!! hahahah where will it ever end???!!!:oB|;):)
I do enjoy visiting at a new dz.... as i now bet you agree...

That plus getting to meet DSE.....!!!!!

sounds like a great weekend, to me...

my best from back east...

jump safely..

jimmy a 3914
nscr 1817

That plus getting to meet DSE.....!!!!!

Oh, now you're just going to go and give him a big head. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, I got to jump today. I did two jumps and it felt incredibly good. I will admit to having a few fears about how I would react at first, but that first jump was so absolutely empowering for lack of any other word that I can hardly believe it. I went diving out the door with no hesitation and the feeling when the canopy opened and flew like it was supposed to, well, there really aren't words to describe that moment. Then I got to do the sunset load. Again, beyond words. It was so incredibly beautiful to watch the sun beginning to set from under the canopy......... I can't imagine life without the joy of skydiving being part of it. Life is good and I am living life. :)

POPS #10490