mlbolon

Anyone mentioned you are a skydiver in a job interview?

I was just wondering what other people have done in this situation. I have a job interview coming up and invariably there is a questions about what you do on your spare time. Above that there is also a questions asking you to prove you can think in high stress situations.

My question to all of you is... would you ever bring up skydiving in a job interview if any of the above questions were asked. I am concerned that the opinion of a whuffo interviewer would be, " he is a manic risk taker, we cant hire him".

Any input?

I did, because they asked how I approached risk taking. I used skydiving as an example, and talked about the safety equipment like CYPRES and RSL as an example of taking risks, but doing so cautiously and preparing for the unexpected.

I got the job.

DING DING DING, we have a winner.

The important thing about it is to find a way to spin it to make you seem like a better, more responsible person than you would be without skydiving.

When I was interviewing for engineering jobs, I highlighted the fact that (at the time) I was a rigger and an instructor. I described the extra responsibility involved with being an instructor, and the detail-orientation that comes with being a rigger.

Yep, got the job.

Elvisio "left out the part about drinking beer and running on the runway naked, though" Rodriguez

I don't dwel on it, but I've said that I'm a skydiver when I've been asked about spare time in interviews.

I think it's not something that most interviewers know what to do with. I once got some very whuffo style questions, that I answered as best I could.

What it really comes down to is that I don't want to work somewhere that is not okay with me having a life.
If they ask, tell them. Don't let the dialog go like this:

interviewer: what do you do with your spare time?
you: I can't work here on the weekends.

you: cause I skydive.

more like this:

interviewer: what do you do with your spare time?
you: I skydive, I

When I interview, I sometimes ask this "what do you do outside of work" question. I'm looking for any answer that shows the person has interests outside of work. I don't want that boring workaholic around me. I want somebody that I want to goto lunch with, somebody that I converse with in passing.

I did. I used it to epmphaize leadership.

I described load organizing and how the skill set needed to get a ever changing number of folks with various experience to go into an unnatural environment and accomplish a goal with limited time.

I got the job.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I did. I used it to epmphaize leadership.

I described load organizing and how the skill set needed to get a ever changing number of folks with various experience to go into an unnatural environment and accomplish a goal with limited time.

I got the job.

I've done that too. Co-organizing a few Deaf World Records looks good as far as leadership skills go.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

No, but I mentioned it on my resume under "hobbies", after "skiing, reading, classical music and playing the flute".

Then again under "volunteers work" as I am a manifester in summer, can check student's packjobs and am a member of the PR-committee. I also mentioned I got an A-licence.

The licence was the first thing they asked about. I explained briefly about it. Then they were impressed that I was allowed to learn people to pack the main parachute (:ph34r:) nad even more when I explained about manifesting.

I didn't get the job yet, but I am through to round 2. That interview is tomorrow...

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I mentioned it to both practices that I was considering. The reason was that I wanted to be honest about who they were hiring. Both knew that this is the person that I am and I will not change who I am to work with their group. And now that I tweaked my ankle a touch... I can :P and say "you knew that when I joined." Also, with being up front on the initial interview, they have ABSOLUTELY no right to "ask" that I quit for the sake of the practice.

actually.... I didn't have to mention it. My first interview for a job after graduation was doing contracted weather forecasting for NASA, and they really did their homework. They asked ME about my skydiving after they googled my name and came up with a page displaying collegiate national comp results and my universities skydiving club webpage. They didn't really look at it as "oh, no...she's a risk taker," but they actually got off on it and thought it was out going and out of the box. I'm sure some places might take the risk taker stand point you're talking about, but I think most will think it's a good thing.

I wouldn't throw it in their face, but I try to be as open and honest in an interview as possible, so if they ask about anything (skydiving or anything else), just tell them about it. Good luck with the interview! B|

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Yup.

I'm still with the company.

And I recently mentioned it to my insurance agent when switching from my current group plan to my new individual HSA plan.

I got preferred status.

Because I'm awesome.

B|

To answer your other question:

there is a questions about what you do on your spare time. Above that there is also a questions asking you to prove you can think in high stress situations.

My question to all of you is... would you ever bring up skydiving in a job interview if any of the above questions were asked.

I wouldn't have mentioned it in either of those situations.

I mentioned it because my interviewer had photos on the wall from when he was in the military that were relative.

I mentioned it to my insurance agent just to get his goat--I'd already applied online, anyways, and nowhere did it ask about anything other than if I have a motorcycle license. It didn't even ask if I ride a motorcycle--just if I had a license. :ph34r::P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I used it as an example of being able to deal with stressful situations and being able to think under pressure (ie. malfunctions). My now boss just kinda smiled and shook his head. ;) I also mentioned being safe in taking risks as someone mentioned earlier (ie. Cypres, reserve).

PS....I was hired the same day as my interview. :)

If you use it, relate it to the job. I've used it to mention how I can "think on my feet" during stressful situations, handle multiple responsibilities, and be ultimately responsible for the success or failure of my tasks.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

I think that as long as its not a "resume filler", you'll be good to go.

If its just something you slap on paper to make yourself look good, might not be the best for ya.

But if its in an interview where you can relate it to your work, it'd work out better for ya IMO

I was just wondering what other people have done in this situation. I have a job interview coming up and invariably there is a questions about what you do on your spare time. Above that there is also a questions asking you to prove you can think in high stress situations.

My question to all of you is... would you ever bring up skydiving in a job interview if any of the above questions were asked. I am concerned that the opinion of a whuffo interviewer would be, " he is a manic risk taker, we cant hire him".

Any input?

I used it in my job interview, but then again, it was for my current job with UPT, so it was a good thing.

Also, with being up front on the initial interview, they have ABSOLUTELY no right to "ask" that I quit for the sake of the practice.

I think you're being too hard on yourself. It's doubtful that you're such a bad skydiver that you need to quit your day job just to make more time to practice.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I am concerned that the opinion of a whuffo interviewer would be, " he is a manic risk taker, we cant hire him".

Any input?

Actually being a skydiver makes me far more risk-averse than many employers I have worked for. I am accustomed to multiple layers of sometimes redundant security--ie having both a main and reserve even though you know you packed the main properly, having both a RSL and a reserve ripcord, etc--when I skydive. I expect my employers to exercise a similar degree of prudence in their business processes but many have fallen far short of that expectation IMHO.

Skydiving is a matter of life and death. The stakes in business can be nearly as high sometimes. In my experience skydivers generally exercise a degree of caution that businesspeople do not.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Well I just ran into this in the last few days. Last week I interviewed for a job as a pilot for a private jet owner, flying him and his family around. His chief pilot interviewed me first and I told him about it because I didn't want to hide anything. Based on my resume and our interview he took me in to meet and interview with the owner the next day.

My resume shows that I started flying in 1995 so the owner asked me what I did before that. Well..... I couldn't/wouldn't lie and I told him that I worked full time as a skydiver for 20 years. When we were finished I was asked to step out of the office and the owner and chief pilot had a little discussion about me. Afterwards the chief pilot said the owner expressed concern that I was a risk taker. The chief pilot liked me and my flying background and went to bat for me.

The result was that I was called in to a meeting with the owner today and he offered me the job! I am so jazzed!!!!!!!!!! So in my case it could have been a show stopper, but I was honest and my flying background and the recommendation from the chief pilot overcame the owners concerns. So I would say that if they ask specifically about skydiving, tell the truth.

I leave it on my resume under hobbies as "FAI licenced parachutist" buried after some more normal stuff. On two occasions the interviewer brought it up and I just said "I enjoy it" and that's about all. I got both of those jobs. On two other occasions, I brought it up in interview to demonstrate some point I though was relevant and I didn't get either of those jobs. In my experience, if you're going to put it on your resume at all, put it in some obscure place but for gods sake, do not mention it at interview unless they specifically ask and even then get off the subject ASAP. If they think it's a big deal to you, it becomes a big deal to them.