FreefallFro

Who else here works nights??

Anyone else here a night owl? I'm a Diesel Mech. for one of the largest trucking companies in the US and work 4 10hr shifts Tues-Fri from 3:30pm to 2:00am and have Sat, Sun and Mon off.
Been working this schedule for 13yrs wish I could get to 1st shift, Have to wait for someone to retire or fall down the stairs. (Hmmmmmmmmm)
By the time I get home shower and relax it's 5:00am. I love my job and the money is great for the area but I think I'm getting burnt out.
I read old posts on here and watch skydiving videos and it gets me all worked up then its hard for me to go to sleep because I'm excited:)

13 years???!!?! Holy crap! I started as a HD mechanic Nov 06 working nights. My buddy that hired me on had been doing it for 10 years. Its not my first time working nights but I had a hard time with this. He told me "sometimes we work ot". In the 9 months I worked we went home early or on time maybe 5 times. It was supposed to be 10 hour shifts 4 on 4 off. But we worked 12-14hrs sometimes more. I found I wasnt as happy and I had a bad temper. Plus I lived an hour away from work. That sucked too. It was hard work, but the long hours and the long drive got to me. We ended up moving to a differnt province for a lifestyle change.

I worked nights for a couple of years before asking to be switched to a day shift. We have 12hr shifts and work a 3-2-2-3 schedule. Basically even though I really enjoyed working nights, I was frustrated since there were multiple days in a row were I wouldn't see my wife, having had left for work before she got off work and gotten home after she had left for work.

Thankfully I had worked really hard and built a good reputation, so they were more then willing to accommodate my request. I've been on Days for a little over 6 months now.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I worked nights for a couple of years before asking to be switched to a day shift. We have 12hr shifts and work a 3-2-2-3 schedule. Basically even though I really enjoyed working nights, I was frustrated since there were multiple days in a row were I wouldn't see my wife, having had left for work before she got off work and gotten home after she had left for work.

Thankfully I had worked really hard and built a good reputation, so they were more then willing to accommodate my request. I've been on Days for a little over 6 months now.

I did the exact same shift in AK. Kinna funny when go to the store and buy beer at 6:30am:D. People look at you like your an alki or something.
Muff #5048

Or like the time I had a really hard couple of shifts, came home, heated up a pizza at 0730 and was drunk dialing people from here by 10am.:D

Then there's the time that a group of coworkers and I went out for margaritas after work one morning.:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Or like the time I had a really hard couple of shifts, came home, heated up a pizza at 0730 and was drunk dialing people from here by 10am.:D

Then there's the time that a group of coworkers and I went out for margaritas after work one morning.:D

You know its a good shift if your wasted before the Price is Right comes on.:D:D:D
Muff #5048

Quit yer bitch'n!! I work in the transportation industry and have no set work schedule. Work as needed. Of course, that is the main reason most people don't last in this field.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

You know its a good shift if your wasted before the Price is Right comes on.:D:D:D