noctralucent

Mirage horror Story

It is in regards to a G4. During the first week of October I ordered my first container a custom G4 arrived looking great in the first week of November when my canopies arrived on December 1st a Rigging Loft assembled it and with extreme excitement went to pick it up. When I tried it on we realized it would not fit a person half my size. Understanding mistakes happen I sent it back on the 2nd of December and discussed with mirage fixing the harness to the measurements that the rig was ordered with and the situation needed to be fixed as fast as possible. Not until I called on January 4th where told the harness had been fixed and had just been sitting there for 2 weeks! It was sent out on Jan 6th and arrived on the 10th. I drive 2 hours to try on the harness again and upon trying on the harness the chest strap is on my belly and to short and the rings are also way to low. This was to say the least a shock. I am at a loss for words. I than sent it back again got it back jan 20th better but chest strap still is to short. Ive talked to some cool people at mirage love there stuff but they cant seem to get it right given 4 trys. This is a 2100.00 product the measurements where taken by a master rigger and I still don't have a container that fits for 3 months this has cost me quite a bit. Hundreds of dollars of renting rigs to jump when I should of had my own. Assembly costs connecting and packing canopies to a container that after three tries still does not fit and here I am still not knowing what is going on spending more money on renting equipment. Ask for my money back get a Vector or demand a complete re-build. What should I do:(

Absolutely get new measurements and by more than just one more person. then go and check that all those measurements are the same...or close to it. THEN if they are...then go bitch some more. I've had many headaches with Mirage...but make sure it's there fault before jumping them.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

The problem with poor measurements the first time can be more than just the harness sizing. I'm not sure about Mirage, but Sunpath has 4 different size yokes (the part of the rig from behind your neck to the chest rings.)

Once that part is wrong for you, no amount of harness resizing will make it perfect. Just work arounds and fixes.

Get measures again (maybe by someone Mirage suggested like JP said) and compare those measurements with the originals. If the fault lies with Mirage they should build you another rig. If the fault lies with the person who sold you the rig and measured you, I would discuss this with them. Some dealers will stand behind their work. Others will not.

Start with that and go from there. I know it sucks but no one is trying to fuck up your rig. Rig maufacturers make little money on containers as it is. Believe me they want your stuff to fit right the first time.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I have experienced a great track record with Mirage. If there were ever an issue, it was corrected quickly.

Did you order direct or through a dealer?
Did you ask for tight, medium or loose fit?
If you want to go over measurements and how to do them, feel free to PM me.

It's been my experience that Mirage will make this right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

This story sounds an awful lot like the one posted by Erica, here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1955857;#1953919.

In her case, she was measured by Justin @ Mirage, and the rig never fit her right to the point that it was borderline unsafe. Ward Hessig himself pretty much told her that she was shit-outta-luck, and they wouldn't fix it, nor refund her money.

To me, I don't judge a company by what happens when everything goes right, I judge a company by what happens when everything goes wrong. By that standard, "Mirage sucks" would be the understatement of the year.

If I were you, I'd send it back, demand a refund and scream as loudly as you can until you get it.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

To clear up the story a bit...

This rig was originally ordered online through an out-of-state business with the customer (noctralucent) taking his own measurements and then shipped to my loft for assembly. It was discovered after assembly that the harness was sized way too small. Measurements were taken by me this time and resent to Mirage with the harness. The rig was received by Mirage around Dec. 10 and it did take the company about 4 weeks to get it back to my loft (this was over the holidays).

Upon receiving the rig after the resize, the customer tried the rig on and it was immediately obvious the lower laterals were still too short. A call to Mirage revealed it was an oversight during the resize and to send it back. This time it was turned around in two days and they also extened the leg pads at this time after seeing photos I took with the cusomer in the rig.

The customer tried on the rig and it fit this time. The rig was reassembled and the customer picked it up (trying it on again). Everything looked good.

When the customer got home and tried it on with a jumpsuit, he decided the chest strap was too short and should have more excess. Mirage has agreed to replace it (or have me replace it) immediately.

Overall, this was a combination of measurements originally taken by the customer, of Mirage making a mistake on even those measurements during production (his measurements were only a few inches off), and then a resizing issue.

Long story, short, the company has tried to fix the error...and is ready to fix the final issue...they just need the rig.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Looks like that wasn't entirely true. I'd suggest an apology is in order.

Are you serious? You are right though, an apology is in order and Mirage should make it. The bottom line is even when a factory rep. (Chuting Star Loft) measured him the factory still could not get it right. I think any reasonable person that has gone through what he has would be pissed too. And in the end at best he will have a rig that has been reworked 3-4 times, not to mention the rigging and other cost that he has incurred.

Some good posts by all... but in the rush to find the villian... some good info for new folk has been blown past here...

1. If you're going to measure yourself for a rig, be really sure you know exactly how to take the measurements or get the help of someone more experienced from the get-go. A lot of rig and jumpsuit makers have those little cartoons of people showing how and where to measure as part of their ordering instructions, look for them and use them.

2. When you measure, think about what it is you're going to be wearing under your rig... jumpsuit... clothing... and measure with that on.

3. Measure twice, cut once... ;)

Its a bummer that noctralucent had a bad experience and I'd certainly be after this until happy with the rig, but this isn't a federal case either.
Sounds like there's a confusion factor, some miss-communications and then this all transpired over the holidays too when a lot of folks are taking vacation or businesses are shut down... say what you want, but that's reality. In the interest of public relations, Mirage could issue an appology to the guy and comp him some of the work or something, but that decission will be up to them.

Are you serious? You are right though, an apology is in order and Mirage should make it.

Yes I am. And it appears Mirage has made it, or do you think that correcting the mistakes of the original customer for free are not enough? How about doing an over night turnaround when they made a mistake? Now they are trying to fix a percieved problem which may or may not be an issue.

As to rigging work? I'll make a guess he hasn't paid for more than the original assembly.

In this case the manufacture seems to be doing everything possible to satify the customer, only to have them act like a two year old and tarnish their public image. I think it even more responsible of them to work this hard to resolve this issue when a thread like this one could be costing them business.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

And it appears Mirage has made it, or do you think that correcting the mistakes of the original customer for free are not enough? How about doing an over night turnaround when they made a mistake? Now they are trying to fix a percieved problem which may or may not be an issue.

As to rigging work? I'll make a guess he hasn't paid for more than the original assembly.

In this case the manufacture seems to be doing everything possible to satify the custome, only to have them act like a two year old and tarnish their public image. I think it even more responsible of them to work this hard to resolve this issue when a thread like this one could be costing them business.

Mirage has paid for all of the rework and most of the shipping. The only shipping the company didn't cover was the original return because at that point it seemed like it was completely a customer error in how he took his own measurements. Since then, it was determined there were errors on both ends and Mirage has covered all rework and shipping (overnight).

As for rigging, the customer has paid for one complete assembly and a 2nd partial assembly. I would have covered everything the 2nd time if the customer had ordered the gear originally through me or my drop zone, but ordered it through Square One. If the customer asks, I'm sure Mirage or Square One would pick up any extra costs the customer incurred for this order/sizing issue.

As another side note, this jumper had three large Mirage dealers (Atlanta Skydiving Center, Chuting Star Rigging Loft and Skydive The Farm) in his area that he could have gone to for advice on options, sizing, etc. Instead the gear was ordered out-of-state through Square One. Not that there's anything wrong with ordering from Square One, but dealing face-to-face with a dealer, getting measured and going over appropriate options for this customer may have helped this situation as well.

Aaron, the customer, has been an easy-going guy since I've known him and I did some of his AFF and coaching jumps when I worked at Atlanta Skydiving Center. I think he just got very frustrated with an expensive purchase, but I really think this is on its way to being resolved. And hopefully others will learn from his gear purchasing experience.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Looks like that wasn't entirely true. I'd suggest an apology is in order.

Are you serious? You are right though, an apology is in order and Mirage should make it. The bottom line is even when a factory rep. (Chuting Star Loft) measured him the factory still could not get it right. I think any reasonable person that has gone through what he has would be pissed too. And in the end at best he will have a rig that has been reworked 3-4 times, not to mention the rigging and other cost that he has incurred.

I agree.

For Great Deals on Gear

even when a factory rep. (Chuting Star Loft) measured him the factory still could not get it right.

This is misleading. Mirage got the order correct, made to the provided measurements, the first time.

On the repair (due to the customers measureing error) Mirage did blow it. They made a mistake, which they corrected at their cost, and with overnight shipping.

Who knows why the chest strap was too short.

For the record, I've been unhappy with Mirage in the past. In this case, I don't think thay did anythign but make a mistake and fix it as best they could.

The guy who posted this though, that guy presented an edited and slanted version, painting a picture of cusotmer mistreatment and irresponsible business practices, and thats just fucked up.

even when a factory rep. (Chuting Star Loft) measured him the factory still could not get it right.

This is misleading. Mirage got the order correct, made to the provided measurements, the first time.

On the repair (due to the customers measureing error) Mirage did blow it. They made a mistake, which they corrected at their cost, and with overnight shipping.

Who knows why the chest strap was too short.

For the record, I've been unhappy with Mirage in the past. In this case, I don't think thay did anythign but make a mistake and fix it as best they could.

The guy who posted this though, that guy presented an edited and slanted version, painting a picture of cusotmer mistreatment and irresponsible business practices, and thats just fucked up.

You're right Dave and most folks here who have been around the block a few times when it comes to skydiving, rigs, gear orders, etc. pretty much saw through it and were able to figure out what really happend. Thanks also to those who also posted "the rest of the story."

For as many "horror stories" out there that customers can post, I'm sure gear manufacturers can come up with just as many regarding customers that make demands that defy logic.

Its a two way street people.
:$

B| Well, I have to say that you must have sent in the wrong measurements period. Are you a body size that is rather larger than average???? Sounds like there is some miscommunication here!
It's my impression that you started off on the wrong foot here and are trying to blame someone else for the obvious.
Mirage has always taken care of their customers. If they made a mistake it would be taken care of!!!!!
I personally think PA removed by slotperfect for complaining about something that was not their fault. And yes I jump a mirage too.
just my .99 cents worth.

In this case the manufacture seems to be doing everything possible to satify the customer, only to have them act like a two year old and tarnish their public image. I think it even more responsible of them to work this hard to resolve this issue when a thread like this one could be costing them business.

If they had done everything possible it would not take 3-4 times to get it right!

So are you saying that taking 3-4 times to build a rig right is responsible? Now that is fucked up.

Mirage has always taken care of their customers.

You might want to do a search before you use the word always.

I personally think that you are an idiot for complaining about something that was not their fault.

Read the post again, even the rigging loft said they made mistakes in the rework.