Deisel

Crotch Rocket or Cruiser?

I didn't want to hijack the 'I'm in love' thread so I'm starting this one.
I may be on the verge of some kind of mid-life crisis or not wanting to admit to getting older (not old). Harleys and BMWs are nice but buying the cruiser just doesn't sit right with me. I still want to be able to suck the paint off of cars when I go by! But there also comes a time to put away the toys...
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Harleys and BMWs are nice but buying the cruiser just doesn't sit right with me. I still want to be able to suck the paint off of cars when I go by! But there also comes a time to put away the toys...

well there's your answer
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well I've never owned a cruiser but I have owned 8 different sportbikes in the last 10yrs been stunt riding for 8 of those years. So I must say sportbike.
I'm getting out of it now though 37 years old time to move on. I want to fly and there are no cops in the sky.
Speaking of cops Fl is trying to pass a law that states any motorcycle seen doing a wheelie if caught will be issued a $1000.00 fine and trip to jail.
Thats not worth it to me anymore. I currently have a 06 GSXR 1000 not a scratch on it. I will be selling soon its not my stunt bike but it will run 100mph in 2nd gear with 4 more gears to go;).

I didn't want to hijack the 'I'm in love' thread so I'm starting this one.
I may be on the verge of some kind of mid-life crisis or not wanting to admit to getting older (not old). Harleys and BMWs are nice but buying the cruiser just doesn't sit right with me. I still want to be able to suck the paint off of cars when I go by! But there also comes a time to put away the toys...

Neither.

Sport touring (BMW RS, Triumph Sprint, Yamaha FJ1300. . Buell S3T and Ducatti ST are too small. The Honda is too portly).

You get comfortable seating position with sufficient wind protection that you can ride 100 miles to the DZ doing 80-100 on the highway without getting tired, a big enough fuel tank to do 250 miles round trip, hard luggage so you can leave your rig+tent+sleeping bag outside when you grab a bite to eat (Givi 50L bags will hold a rig), and affordable (~$200/year) full coverage since it's a mature person's bike.

Having made the mistake of owning a Hinkley Triumph (The triples sound nice, but I was not happy with the 8000 miles I got out of the first engine) I'd probably buy an FJ for the next one. 125 rear wheel horsepower with Japanese reliability.

From and EMT perspective, I have worked more crotch rocket wrecks then crusiers! In fact the more I think about it I have worked exactally 1 crusier and a bunch of crotch rockets and twice that many 4wheeler accidents.
the one crusier was a female that was turning a corner at slow speeds and hit some gravel/sand mix and laid the bike over into a metal curb drain and hit her head. Helmet cracked but she was okay! No helmet and she may not have faired so well.
The worst bullet bike was a kid missing his foot upon impact with the train tracks. Wheelie down teh road until he hit the 1st set of tracks, he impacted between the bike and second set, gas in the woulds, tail pipe/engien burns and lucky for him he was two blocks from the hospital.
the 4wheelers, I will never own one or buy one for my children. Sadly I have not worked one of those wrecks where the kid has survived the accident. some how those things envoke young boys to be stupid at high rates of speed.
www.greenboxphotography.com

While I was still in EMT school and doing ride time, we responded to a crotch rocket accident. I must admit if the severity of that scene didnt sway me from being an EMT nothing will. He (the victim) had stolen the bike and missed a curve and hit a tree at what had to be over 100mph. Needless to say, he was more or less picked up with a shovel. His head was literally mush (helmet didnt help him) and his arms and legs were broken in ways that I didnt think were possible. The impact was so great that he and the bike were scattered upto 600 yards away from the tree.

I have my motorcycle endorsement, and used to ride a CBR F4i, but havent rode since 2002. I have been fender fluff with a few friends, but Im not even comfortable doing that. Even the safest motorcycle rider is still not safe amongst the cars, I experienced this many times first hand when I still had my bike, they will look right at you and see you, but still "not see you".

It doesn't matter what kind of bike you get. If you ride stupid then you will get hurt. Wear protective gear and ride right.

The last sport bike accident I went to was a grusome fatality. It was a low speed fatality too, with a kid (21 yrs old) doing a wheelie in a neighborhood. Single vehicle accident and the only protective gear was the nylon shorts and his flip flops.

The sport bike accident I went to before that was a guy that was taken out by a left turner. He was seriously injured due to his extreme and excessive speed (he severely bent the frame of the 1/4 ton truck that pulled in front of him). He was wearing a helmet, so he lived.

The one before that was another left turner. She was wearing riding pants, mesh jacket and a full face helmet. She was riding near the speed limit (within 5 mph or so) and came away with a totaled bike and a broken arm. It wasn't a bad break either. It happened when she put her arm out while impacting with the asphalt.

I've yet to be to a cruiser accident where the rider was wearing a helmet. The injuries have been reasonably minor. Typically roadrash and a broken collar bone.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

It still comes down to riding right and dressing appropriately for the weather and your safety.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My 2 cents...If you are undecided between sport bike and cruiser, check out Victory. I've got a Victory Jackpot. It looks good and is plenty fast. 100ci motor with plenty of torque. Plus it's big enough that it is comfortable to ride all day.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

some how those things envoke young boys men to be stupid at high rates of speed.

Then the stupid ones that survive graduate to sport bikes.

I'd like to see a preference poll broken down by folks that are under/over 30.

Don (cruiser )
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

when we were doing our heavy riding 2-3 years ago, we got made fun of on a regular basis for wearing head to toe gear by other bikers. I always retorted with, I dunno, I like my face and skin.

Watching an ER show on TV, and listening to the shrieking people with road rash made me NEVER ride without gear ever again.

It doesn't matter what kind of bike you get. If you ride stupid then you will get hurt. Wear protective gear and ride right.

It still comes down to riding right and dressing appropriately for the weather and your safety.

Dave makes some great points, dress for the ride as your life depends on it because it just may.
I just find it strange that I went to more bullet bike crashes then any other type, I think that sometimes those bikes just evoke riders to do stuff they normally would not do, the quick power, the speed and all of that just seems to overwhelm even the best of the guys sometimes and makes them do silly stuff.
Like the park ranger in western kansas told me about rattle snakes, young men between 16-30yrs old are usally the only ones ever bitten by the snakes and always in thier dominate hand!
I think bullet bikes sometimes have that same alure!
www.greenboxphotography.com

Don't rule out BMW They have some good sport models. My room mate has a k1200s and he blows doors on most riders. I rode the bike and was surprised at how nimble it was.

The issue though is just the same as parachutes. If you buy too fast of a bike and actually think you know what you're doing after a couple thousand miles. It directly compares to skydivers downsizing and thinking they have it under control in a few hundred jumps.

The best investment a person could make should they decide some form of sport bike is go to hit the track and take a novice track school. (after of course they've got the motorcycle license).

We've got a lot of nice roads around this area and people crash on them a lot because they simply don't know what they're doing. A good sport bike has much more rangey than you'd ever imagine if you've never ridden before. A track will help a lot. If your goal is to become a confident rider (with skills to go along with the confidence) then hit up the novice track school. Racing on the street is not a goal, being a smooth rider is.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

There's no right answer. It's different horses for different courses.

Enjoy...

I like that answer! B|

For me it's a question of use...I really like riding a rocket but i'll never get the full use outta that much power and handling.

And I don't go cross country on rubber anymore so a cruiser seems like a waste as well.

I'm looking into the new Triumph twins...enough weight to be comfortable, light enough to play on the twisties, don't have to spend the kids college fund to buy one....

Oh Shit..............................I AM OLD! :S:ph34r:

'Get off my lawn!' B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~