My cat kicked my ass!

Friday night my cat was on my enclosed porch, and a stray cat outside got him spooked, so I picked him up to bring him inside. He must have been highly agitated because he buried a claw about 3/8" into the underside of my forearm (me pulling my arm away probably made it go that deep.)

By Saturday eve there were red streaks running up my swollen arm, and it was obviousely infected. Hurting like a mofo, sweating like hell. Went to the ER last night and spent 3+ hours on IV antibiotics. They also cut the hole open with a scalpel and stuffed it with gauze. They left the IV in place because I might need more IV today. So my right arm is all bandaged up, and my left wrist/hand is also bandaged up to protect the IV line. Left has green bandages, right has blue:D

Going back to get it looked at now.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I once made the mistake of picking one of my cats up when he had been spooked by another cat, and he freaked out and bit me on the forehead. :D:| I went to the urgent care place the next day and got some antibiotics, but the day after that I was so sick and my head so swollen that I had to go to the ER and get a big shot of antibiotics.

Now I stay well away from my cats when they're pissed off. And if I need to break up a fight, I've found that a spray bottle or a water hose works well.

I hope you're feeling better now!

It's an illness known as "cat scratch fever" and it's caused by small amounts of fecal matter entering the wound. Think about what a cat does as soon as it takes a dump...It buries it. The claws often get small pieces of poo stuck to them, and this enters your skin when they scratch.

Always always always clean out cat scratchs immediately.

I cleaned it with soap/water and H2O2 right after it happened, but since it was just a little but deep hole, I assume I couldn't clean deep enough. They just gave me another course of IV antibiotics an hour ago because it got much worse since last night. They said if it doesn't get better in the next couple days, the'll have to hospitalize me.

So I got cat poo in my blood. Great!

EDIT: They did take the IV line out so I won't have that junk hanging out of my left wrist all night again.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

It's an illness known as "cat scratch fever" and it's caused by small amounts of fecal matter entering the wound. Think about what a cat does as soon as it takes a dump...It buries it. The claws often get small pieces of poo stuck to them, and this enters your skin when they scratch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_scratch_fever

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/factsheets/pdfs/cat_scratch_fever.pdf
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

The doc said cat scratch fever won't show up for at least a week, and that it's another bacterial infection. It looks like the antibiotics I'm taking are good for cat scratch fever anyway. Thanks for the info!

-NickDG

Sounds more like cellulites. A friend's cat bit me and I had the exact same symptoms you are describing. I spent 3 days in the hospital getting the antibiotic drip every 4 hours.
That stuff will go straight to your heart. Don't stop the meds until they tell you to.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Since I taught my cat to shit in the toilet, anytime I'm injured during rough play, the wound heals quickly.
Before...not so quickly.

Please enlighten me. How the hell does one TEACH a cat to shit in the toilet? That would be a very handy thing to learn for if I ever get a cat. It would be even better if the cat can flush too.
Muff #5048

Please enlighten me. How the hell does one TEACH a cat to shit in the toilet? That would be a very handy thing to learn for if I ever get a cat. It would be even better if the cat can flush too.

I once used one of these things to toilet train a cat: http://www.citikitty.com/.

But I had two cats, and while one of them learned to use the toilet, the other one didn't, so I had to stick with the litter box.

And I've had a ton of cat scratches, but I guess I'm lucky because I've never had one get infected or even take a long time to heal. (Hmm, am I jinxing myself now by saying that???)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_scratch_fever

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/factsheets/pdfs/cat_scratch_fever.pdf

The video is a good resource too... :)http://youtube.com/watch?v=cUtYP52Ijvc
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Since I taught my cat to shit in the toilet, anytime I'm injured during rough play, the wound heals quickly.
Before...not so quickly.

Better have more than one bathroom

"C'mon I gotta go... Hurry up!!!"

"Meoooooooow"

They don't always lock the door either. You really wanna walk in on a cat on the john with its fur around its ankles?!?!?! :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

The downside is when your cat develops Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and your water bill goes sky-high:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofFb_eOxxA

[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Before...not so quickly.

I used the Kitty Whiz system, which has been around since the 1970s.
Do a search and you'll find it.

I haven't taught Vincent to flush, and probably won't bother...he usually drops sinkers anyway.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Sounds more like cellulites. A friend's cat bit me and I had the exact same symptoms you are describing. I spent 3 days in the hospital getting the antibiotic drip every 4 hours.
That stuff will go straight to your heart. Don't stop the meds until they tell you to.

Yeah, it's cellulitis, a deep skin infection. Probably staph or Strep. It hasn't really spread since yesterday's IV, and it's less swollen, so the antibiotics seem to be working.

-NickDG

Please enlighten me. How the hell does one TEACH a cat to shit in the toilet?

I remember one of the early cult websites was published by a woman who'd done exactly that. It was a step-by-step guide, with photos. Seemed like a pretty drawn-out process, but I guess worth it if you're going to have an indoor cat for life.

I remember her saying that once she'd trained her cat to use the toilet she then had to train human visitors to leave the lid up. ;)

When the doc looked at my arm yesterday, he said "oh, shit." Pretty much the entire underbelly of my forearm was inflamed. Got another IV dose of antibiotics. Also started on a sulfamethoxine antibiotic. He mentioned MRSA as a possibility:(

Went back today, and the "hot" looking area had reduced to ~1.5"x2" centered around the wound hole. Had another IV dose, but the infection is clearly undder control.

So, lots of pain for a couple days, two days w/o use of my right hand, four ~3-hour visits to the hosp for IV's, big medical bill, ~2 more weeks taking antibiotics, etc. - All this from a furball who has slept with me for ~15 years, and often uses my arm as a pillow:S
-----------

If I ever get a deep puncture wound from a cat again, it's straight to the doctor.

-NickDG