Scarface2178

Choosing the right reserve for a Teardrop container!

Hi, i'm a newbie to the sport, almost ready for completeing my cat 8. I've got a second hand Teardrop container waiting for me, which i intend to fit a new cypress and new reserve into. I will be borrowing a main canopy from my CCI/Rigger for the time being, he advises me that the Sabre 170 he has, will be fine for me, which is good cause i will eventually be able to downsize to a 150 in the same container.

The problem is choosing a reserve! I have narrowed it down to three manufacturers: PDR, PdF Techno or a Speed 2000.

The container had a Techno 155 with a pack vol of 334 cu inches, the 150 sq ft Speed 2000 will also fit, packing at 266 cu inches, but i am begining to prefer the PD after reading the forums. The PD 143 packs at 343 cu inches, which is 9 cu inches bigger than the techno, that was fitted before! Would it be dangerous to try and squeeze in the PDR, or would it be ok???

Would the PD 143 (151 sq ft) reserve be ok for a first rig, because the PD guidelines based on my weight (87kg) and experience, recommend i should be jumping a bigger reserve??

Any comments or advice would be appreciated???[:/]
100% Pure adrenalin, right?! The ultimate rush. Other guys snort for it, jab a vein for it -- all you
gotta do is jump. "Point Break"

Well if I do the math correctly you are 87kg which equals 191 lbs. You then add 20lb or so for jumpsuit, gear, helmet etc. So now you are going to load that F-111 7-cell PD143 reserve roughly at 1.39 to 1 with 15 jumps? Have you jumped either a 7-cell or an F-111 of anytype loaded at 1 to 1 yet?

I am not a rigger or AFFI, but that loading seems a bit extreme to me, especially with you on student status. I think it would be especially bad due to the fact something has gone wrong, your under a reserve, most likely a little rattled and now your coming down steeper and faster than you have ever before.

All I can draw from is my limited experience and the advice that I have been given by the senior jumpers around me and I am pretty sure some of them will speak up here.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Would the PD 143 (151 sq ft) reserve be ok for a first rig, because the PD guidelines based on my weight (87kg) and experience, recommend i should be jumping a bigger reserve??

Choose your reserve size based on what you can safely land in a worst case scenario on your next skydive - NOT based on what will fit into a container. You have never jumped a canopy that small; do you really want your first jump on it to be in a high stress situation, possibly landing in a less than ideal location?

If my math is correct, you're over 200 pounds out the door. imho, a 170 main is too small for you right now, even if you are God's gift to canopy control. Going smaller than that with your reserve seems foolhardy to me.

You can listen to whoever you'd like, but I'd take the opinion of a manufacturer like PD over the opinion of one person with a piece of paper who may have forgotten what it's like to have 10 jumps and who may not have your best interests in mind...

I'd suggest buying a larger container and filling it with larger canopies.

Dear Scarface,

In regards to your question. I do not know which brand you have to pick.. both are ok.. (im jumping with the Techno 155 , had one reserve without any problems). What i do know is that im a little bit concerned about your downsizing.

Do not know which parachute you are jumping now, but with 15 jumps and your weight (87 kos) i think your are downsizing too much and to quick.

What is your reason for jumping so small ??

This is the same question which i have for your reserve ...

Picture this ....

1st jump with your new gear... spinning mall with your 170 (damn that goes fast !! :( ) you pull your reserve which is even smaller (143 sq ft) so you just downsized in one jump from you student canopy to 170 to 143 sqft !!!

I would reccomend bigger parachutes !!!

My instructor told me once (a very long time ago ;) ) :

Jumping is not difficult, but to continue jumping thats difficult....

Wish you a lot of safe jumps with a wisely chosen main and reserve parachute..

Kindest regards,
Raymon

The container had a Techno 155 with a pack vol of 334 cu inches, the 150 sq ft Speed 2000 will also fit, packing at 266 cu inches, but i am begining to prefer the PD after reading the forums. The PD 143 packs at 343 cu inches, which is 9 cu inches bigger than the techno, that was fitted before! Would it be dangerous to try and squeeze in the PDR, or would it be ok???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Where did you get those numbers?

I sure hope that they include a typo.

Only trust volume compatibility numbers published by CONTAINER manufacturers, because those numbers are written by the riggers who have to pack them.
Meanwhile, CANOPY manufacturers allow their marketing managers to write whatever numbers will sell the best.

Riddle: What is the difference between a snake-oil salesman and a marketing manager?

Dale,
I have a little bit of experience with the Speed2000, in the loft and in the harness. After all, my user name wasn't chosen by accident. :D

First of all, cheers on nearly completing your student progression and congratulations on purchasing your first set of gear. We expect beer will be forthcoming. :)
Second of all, I applaud your diligence. For too many jumpers, the reserve is merely an afterthought. Good on you. In my personal opinion, all three of the reserves you listed are very good choices. They fly well, they land well, they're built solidly. Beyond that, the Speed2000 packs very, very small and the PD Reserve has a well-earned reputation for durability.

As Rob stated above, a good source of sizing information is the container manufacturer. Since your container is a made-in-the-UK Teardrop, why not give Chris Thomas at TSE a call? Manfacturers are generally more than happy to talk your ear off. Really. Especially in January. :|

I would like to caution you on wing loading. A 1.4:1 loading, based on your experience, is pretty hefty.

Hope this helps and glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Blue Skies,
Johnny

Without wanting to hijack your thread, but I probably am (sorry!!!), what do you guys think, having not seen me fly, (and yes I will be talking to my instructors and others at my dropzone tomorrow to get more opinions,) of loading a reserve at about 1.06-1.1 (my weight varies by 3 or 4 pounds every few weeks) after 30 jumps. The main I'd be jumping is a 170 loaded at 0.94-0.97. Therefore the reserve would be a 170, I haven't comitted to any of this yet, and if people think it's a bad idea I'll go another route, but if I did go this route, it would be useful because the container is made for a 150, but has had a 170 and a 135 in it safely before, so starting with a 170 it will last me a long, long time. The reserve would be a Micro Raven 150. Like I said, I'm talking to more people. I just wanted to get as many opinions as I can.... and the instuctors at my dz will be the ones I trust.

I would think that you have your answer in this statement. The company that makes the canopy says it is too small for you. Hello.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals