tube9999

jumpsuits

I used to think they were stupid before I knew anything at all about the sport. (and this was in the early 90's when I was a kid.)

When you realise that jumpsuits are a tool to help improve your skydiving, what is there to hate about them?

Why do you hate jumpsuits by the way? Is it purely a fashion thing?

Somewhat I guess. I just feel more comfy in my bagy tie up pants and cool shirts. Was looking at liquid sky suits though, they are cool. Any thoughts on those?

Sounds like you don't have one of your own. If you can afford to buy a jumpsuit that is made for you, you will probably find it much more comfy and, as others have said, it can really become part of your flying. I like to do fun jumps from time to time without a jumpsuit, and if I'm just goofing around, especially on a hot day, that's fine, but if I want to actually accomplish something in my skydive and fly my best given my current experience/skill level, the jumpsuit is on.

Don't just get what "looks coolest," talk to others in your discipline of choice to find out what style/cut of jumpsuit is going to best help you improve your flying skills.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Does anyone elso out there hate jump suits as much as I do?

No law says you have to wear anything at all!

I beg to differ :D:D:P

A jump suit can be useful tool in a skydive. It can help a light person fall faster, a heavy person fall slower. The addition of booties on an RW suit provide additional control with the legs. having jumped with people with grippers and without grippers doing RW with a person having grippers is infinitely easier.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

No one on here is convincing yet! I do undersatnd the need for one and do wear one now. When you reasearch them, they cannot tell why you need theirs! Some say they can withstand 15 jumps per day... Is that differant from 7.5 a day. Does a suit recover? Someone tell me, what suit should I look for or should I be happy in my pants and shirt?

No one on here is convincing yet! I do undersatnd the need for one and do wear one now. When you reasearch them, they cannot tell why you need theirs! Some say they can withstand 15 jumps per day... Is that differant from 7.5 a day. Does a suit recover? Someone tell me, what suit should I look for or should I be happy in my pants and shirt?

Of all the equipment you buy to skydive a jumpsuit affects you flying the most. One that is properly sized for you and designed for the type of skydiving you do can make learning easier and your flying smother.

But then again if you are happy with pants and a shirt stick with it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The answer you seek has already been covered...

Jumpsuits can give you more range, won't blow up and cover handles, can be made of more resilient materials such as cordura butts and knees, etc...

I can freefly pretty well in tapered-leg jeans and a long-sleeve shirt or even shorts and a tee-shirt, but they don't offer the same protection, the pants blow up to your knees and spill air randomly, and will usually only survive one crash or sliding landing. Cordura knees and seats are much more abrasion-resistant than cotton jeans.

Anyway, wear what you want... sometimes I jump in old BDU pants when I work on my swooping so I don't tear up my jumpsuits. Dress for success. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Not wearing a suit would "maybe" make you better in
freefall as you would have to work a little harder to keep
up or down. Not a big deal, I have two, baggy & tight. I
don't wear them all the time. If I jump with a couple of anvils I go tight. Hop & pops..shorts and a tee shirt.
Jumpsuits can give you different rate of descent without
working at it...it's that simple.

Jumpsuits can give you more range, won't blow up and cover handles, can be made of more resilient materials such as cordura butts and knees, etc...
;)

...and add that if you crash, you will get the jumpsuit dirty and not your clothes.

Someone tell me, what suit should I look for

Here are some things that I think are important to consider when figuring out which manufacturer to buy from. In no particular order...

Geographical location of the manufacturer. This affects the cost of shipping, both initially and if you have to send it back for alterations or repairs.

Reputation of the manufacturer for customer service before and after the sale. Ask around, everyone has an opinion on this one.

Price. Cheapest isn't necessarily best; neither is most expensive. Only you can decide how much you are willing to pay.

Delivery time. How long are you willing to wait?

Looks. This one is entirely subjective. You may think one company's suits are butt ugly but I may think they are the shit. We're both right.

Durability and construction. These go hand in hand; a well constructed suit is going to be more durable. Grab a few different suits and turn them inside out. Look at what seams are used on the inseam and outseam. In general, a single or double straight stitch seam is not as strong as an overlock seam (turn a pair of sweats inside out for an example of an overlock seam). An overlock seam with an additional straight stitch alongside it will be stronger than an overlock seam without the straight stitch. A French fell seam ("a" in the attached pic) will be as strong or stronger than an overlock. A bound seam will be as strong as a French fell seam or stronger.

Material choice also affects durability, as does how often you don't stand up your landings.

If you are looking for a specific style suit (i.e. snug fitting, baggy), ask people who have the type of suit you want for their opinions. Some manufacturers do a better job of building a trim suit than others do; pretty much every manufacturer can build you a baggy suit.

Hope this helps.

i don't have enough experience to give you any solid advice....but, from what i've been told there is a difference between "flying a suit" and "flying your body". seems like there a fair number of exp individuals (at least the DZ's i've been to) that support the "learn to fly your body, then learn to fly your suit" school of thought.

i once watched a newb, like myself, get a little razz at the dz for having a brand new flite suit. seems the newbie couldn't sit fly, and really couldn't FF at all. the razz centered around telling the newbie that he should spend some time figuring out to fly his body in a sit, rather than run out and buy a $300 jump suit that would "help him sit better" (newb's words)

me personally, i don't own a suit. i have a pair of dakine FF pants. i'll typically use them and a LS T-shirt. either that, or shorts and t-shirt. I take a little pride in knowing that I can sit, and move around fairly well, in nothing but a T and shorts. but i am looking forward to finally getting a custom suit, i won't lie. course with my budget, i'll be at 200 jumps before i even place the order...

just my .02
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell