RkyMtnHigh

My fuel was siphoned

I can't believe it's come to this already. Reminiscent of the 70s, with the rising fuel costs, people are siphoning from others' cars.

My car is parked in a well lit parking lot each night and my fuel was siphoned anyway.
The part that upsets me the most is the hole in the side of my car and damage to the paint. I'm not sure of the technique but it appears that a tool was used to strike the left side of the fuel access door (which is only opened from the inside of the car) in order to pop the door open on the right.

Yesterday I went to the auto parts store to get a locking gas cap, however the cap protrudes out too far to be able to close the door.

I'm sure this occurence is happening nationwide, therefore try to be proactive and get locking gas caps. I'm also not planning to fill up each time I go to the gas station any more because of this experience.

What sucks about that is that even if I added a locking gas cap, in order to see that I have a locking gas cap, someone would still have to damage my car to get inside the locking fuel access door.

Glad I keep my car in a locked, enclosed garage that only I and one neighbor have access to. That helps add some peace of mind.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had my jetski stored outside over the winter, I stored it with a full tank of gas and when I went to get it running here recently I found out every last drop of fuel was gone. And it has a 13 gallon fuel tank. There was also a lot of fuel siphoned out of my ford f150, the first fuel tank was completely empty and the second was about 3/4 gone.

I heard Uhaul and other companies like that are having problems with people stealing the fuel out of their company trucks too.

WOW that just sucks! So sorry that happened. I am afraid that we will see a lot more of this tho. And from people who wouldnt normally do something like that. The ecomony will force people to all kinds of crazy shit if something is done and done soon. My stimulus payment was gone in 2 nano seconds, why, b/c I dont make enough to survive without putting my gas on a credit card. I used my stimulus payment to pay that off.

however the cap protrudes out too far to be able to close the door.

Take the door off so it's obvious that you have a locking gas cap.

That'll stop the opportunists, but don't think that it will stop the truly determined. It's not all that difficult to remove a locking gas cap.

however the cap protrudes out too far to be able to close the door.

Take the door off so it's obvious that you have a locking gas cap.

That'll stop the opportunists, but don't think that it will stop the truly determined. It's not all that difficult to remove a locking gas cap.

Anyone that is willing to break the fuel cap door probably isn't too far from being willing to just punch a hole in the tank itself.

Now I know this sounds like a radical idea, but wouldn't it be less expensive in the long run to just put in a tap and a big sign that says, "Ok, take the gas but for god's sake just don't fuck up the car"?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Anyone that is willing to break the fuel cap door probably isn't too far from being willing to just punch a hole in the tank itself.

There was a recent news article talking about SUV's getting drained that way since it's easier to stay out of site.

It's better not to lock your tank down so you don't have to pay for repairs.

Expect this sort of thing to get worse.

I was actually afraid of this too as I ride my bike to work more than I drive my car. That means my car sits in my appt parking lot for up to 3 or 4 days at a time. Only thing I do for piece of mind is never put in more than about 1/4 tank that way if some jack-hole does decide to steal my gas they aint getting that much (about 4 gal max).

On a more personal note, I wish they would make the people they catch stealing gas drink a few ounces of it as they have no problem sucking the fumes through a hose>:(>:(>:(.

Muff #5048

There was a recent news article talking about SUV's getting drained that way since it's easier to stay out of site.

And SUVs offer better access since they're higher and a bigger payoff since they have larger fuel tanks.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

One possible cheap solution to this is, get some chicken wire , roll it up into a ball an put it in the cars filler pipe, far enough down so the
gas pump nozzle will still enter, This wont stop the serious gas stealer, they'll cut the flexible hose between the filler pipe an the gas tank.:(

Gone fishing

On a more personal note, I wish they would make the people they catch stealing gas drink a few ounces of it as they have no problem sucking the fumes through a hose>:(>:(>:(.

fucking crackheads would do anything for a fix, wouldnt they!? :S

:D:D:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Another issue I heard about was they are stealing licence plates. then stealing the gas from pumps with the stolen licence plates covering their own. after a couple blocks away they remove the plates and the cops come knocking on your door. Check your plates everyday! >:(

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

When I was a kid, I spent a summer working at a full-service gas station. One day a guy came in driving big old Chevy, and told me to fill it up. I went back and pulled down the hinged license plate holder to find...nothing. WTF?:S

At this point he got out of the car laughing and came back and opened the trunk. There was the gas tank, just lying there loose in the trunk. So I popped off the cap, filled it, and he locked the trunk again.

He explained that he lived in a rough part of Chicago.:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Question for you guys:
Am I more of a target for future siphoning if I leave the evidence (damage to the side of my car) which shows that I've already been siphoned? or if I repair the damage?

Another idea a friend today suggested is that I just leave the fuel access door open each night (after I find a locking gas cap that fits) so the punks can see right away that it'll be a hassle and not cause any further damage to my car.

I dont know the best solution on this one.:S

Question for you guys:
Am I more of a target for future siphoning if I leave the evidence (damage to the side of my car) which shows that I've already been siphoned? or if I repair the damage?

Another idea a friend today suggested is that I just leave the fuel access door open each night (after I find a locking gas cap that fits) so the punks can see right away that it'll be a hassle and not cause any further damage to my car.

I dont know the best solution on this one.:S

Buy a second gas tank, put it in the trunk, and hook it to the fuel line.
Fill the original tank, (now unhooked), with diesel.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My dad and I have been brainstorming about a device which would shock the shit out of any person attempting to siphon the gas..would light them up pretty good and make their teeth fall out. But..possible sparks might backfire on me and blow my car up in the process..so there would be a person standing there with nice scars on his face but my car would be charred as a result. Not sure that the insurance adjustors would pay my claim if they knew that I set the "boobie-trap":S:ph34r: