Feeblemind

Happy Trails Skybytch

Skybytch and Company,

Just wanted to wish you the best of times on your journey through the mountains. Hiking 265 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail will be a memory of a lifetime I am sure.

Take lots of pics!!!

Feeble

PS I told Avgjoe I would let Molly hang out in the motor home while he takes you to the trail head.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

It is about that time, isn't it?B| Best wishes to Skybytch and Flyangel2 on their journey. I look forward to the stories and pics:)

Hope they took that coffee-thingamajigger. ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Found something better then having to take the JetBoil coffee press. When you're on the trail as long as we're going to be, every ounce counts.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Found something better then having to take the JetBoil coffee press. When you're on the trail as long as we're going to be, every ounce counts.

So are you going to tell us what it is, or do we have to pound you? >:(:P

ltdiver

So are you going to tell us what it is, or do we have to pound you?

Coffee snobs need to stop reading now.

We're taking Folger's Singles. They fill every need a backpacking morning coffee addict has... they weigh next to nothing and they're packed with caffeine. The resulting beverage tastes like shit compared to freshly ground hazelnut flavored beans, though. :D

Thanks for the good wishes all! We'll be heading out from the Donner Summit trailhead (on Interstate 80 between Sacramento and Reno) bright and early Saturday morning. The plan is to end up at MacArthur Burney Falls State Park, about 265 miles later, on July 19th.

Rumor has it that there may be enough cell service to send a text on some of ridges. If you'd like to be on the "holy crap we have signal this is where we be" texting list, feel free to PM me your cell #. I'll be sending out the GPS coordinates so you can plug them into Google Earth and see exactly where we are.

Also , I've got a journal/blog thingie here. No idea if or how often I'll be able to update it from the trail towns (one of the few times I wish I had a Crackberry or Iphone). There's a possibility that someone will be able to update it for me while I'm out but no guarantees of that. I intend to transcribe my illegible handwritten journal entries to it once I get home regardless.

I'm not taking a camera - both of the ones I have are too bulky and heavy and I wasn't gonna spend $200 on something that would only be used for a month. But Mary will have hers; I'm sure we'll get plenty of photographic evidence of our insanity.

Two more sleeps! Good thing I have a LOT of shit left to do (and some heavy drinking to get done tomorrow night at the boogie). If I didn't I'd be going bananas about now!

LOTS of GOOD REI 100% rag wool socks....Change them frequently...when they start getting even a little damp.

You gotta take care of your feet on the trail...a blister can turn a fun trip into a long and painful nightmare.[:/]

Good luck and have fun.:)

Bookmarked your blog. Looking forward to reading all yours and Mary's adventures!

My sister hiked the John Muir trail back in the 70's and really loved it. Of course, she was the only girl in a group of men, too... :P

ltdiver

Wow, day-in and day-out, 265 miles together...it's a good thing you two like each other. I don't even think I'd want to be with my husband that long without a break! :ph34r:

Have fun!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Wow, day-in and day-out, 265 miles together...it's a good thing you two like each other. I don't even think I'd want to be with my husband that long without a break! :ph34r:

Have fun!

Oh yeah?

How YOU doin?
:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

LOTS of GOOD REI 100% rag wool socks....Change them frequently...when they start getting even a little damp.

Only problem with that is we don't have LOTS OF ROOM. Remember, we have to carry up to seven days of food at a stretch. But not to worry, we've got the feet thing worked out. I have found the answer to problems before they even start. Yes Lori, I'll tell you the secret so you don't have to pound it out of me. Second Skin ;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Have fun!

Keep in mind, I have to sleep with the bytch too;) Lisa told me we need to cut down on weight, so we'll be sharing a tent. You think I should be worried?:o

Have fun Lisa!! I know that you have worked so hard for this - good luck!:)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Yes Lori, I'll tell you the secret so you don't have to pound it out of me. Second Skin ;)

Well...Humph.....:ph34r:

Don't know if it works for you, but when my sister went back packing she found that putting on 2 pairs of socks (nylon on the inside, cotton on the outside...or other way around, I don't remember). The outer sock rubs on the inner one and keeps the skin from getting chaffed.

Also, mole skin for those areas that blister can help. Or is that too old school?

ltdiver

Yes Lori, I'll tell you the secret so you don't have to pound it out of me. Second Skin ;)

Don't know if it works for you, but when my sister went back packing she found that putting on 2 pairs of socks (nylon on the inside, cotton on the outside...or other way around, I don't remember). The outer sock rubs on the inner one and keeps the skin from getting chaffed.

Also, mole skin for those areas that blister can help. Or is that too old school?

ltdiver
That's how we have been doing it for decades, thin sox next to skin, thicker sox, on the outer, i NEVER get blisters:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

ltdiver
That's how we have been doing it for decades, thin sox next to skin, thicker sox, on the outer, i NEVER get blisters:)

that will alleviate the friction between the feet and shoes, but for those whose feet like to blister from friction between toes i recommend injinji toe socks. i use them on my long trail runs, especially the wet ones, and they work great.

What kind of bear protection and are you using a bear barrel to protect you food or are you hanging it?

Our bear protection is a dog and a can of bear spray (and our naturally loud and exuberant conversation, of course). Canisters aren't required north of Tahoe (which is good cuz they are ridiculously heavy and bulky), we'll be hanging the food.

Any snow and ice crossings left at higher altitudes?

We hope not more than the occasional drift across the trail. We stay below 8000 for pretty much the entire trip so it shouldn't be nearly as bad as the thruhikers are hitting in the high Sierra right now.