FlyingJ

Unfortunate/embarrassing injuries...

I saw the article below and it made me wonder who else has injured themselves in a less than awe inspiring way.

I'll have to admit that I've thrown out my back in such thrilling ways as flushing a toilet, turning off the water in the shower and (though admittedly a little more exciting) knocking out a Michael Jackson crotch grab leg kick spin move after a few too many beers.

I've had lower back problems for years that I've trained myself to work around, but it's that random time flushing a toilet with the handle on the opposite side, etc. that puts me out of commission for a week. Always fun explaining that one!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Brandon-Inge-angles-for-a-lucrative-pillow-endor?urn=mlb,90675

Friday, Jun 27, 2008 8:53 am EDT

Brandon Inge angles for a lucrative pillow endorsement

By 'Duk

We've heard about players getting hurt while sneezing, while sleepwalking through a nightmare about spiders and after kicking an iron bar stool.

But we had never heard of a pillow-lifting injury in baseball — that is, until Detroit Tigers' everyman Brandon Inge reported an overstuffed owie on Wednesday, earning a feather-paved (and probably overdue) path to the injury list.

The details, from the Free Press:

"It was the stupidest, most freakish thing," Inge said Wednesday, explaining why he had just been placed on the 15-day DL with the pulled side muscle (oblique) he suffered 3 1/2 weeks ago.

"I have a 3-year-old son who sleeps in the bed with my wife and me," Inge said. "I was trying to push the pillow down behind his head (two nights ago), and when I did ... I repopped (the strained muscle).

"You take swings in baseball, and it's not as bad as pushing a pillow down."

Upon hearing this story, manager Jim Leyland said, "That's a first."

It definitely is a first, but I think anyone who's getting up there in age — like myself and Mr. Inge — can relate to feeling a little pain in the obliques or lower back when doing random things.

Heck, while formatting this blog, I threw my back out three different times. I'm guessing a few people probably did while reading it, too. It's a dangerous world out there.
Killing threads since 2004.

Once in middle school, I was showing off to my friend, with a group of cute girls next to us. The plan was to jump the curb on my bike, and rotate my wheel while in the air. Little did I notice a little chip in the curb, which my wheel convienently got stuck on as I yanked up on the handle bars, effectively rotating my over the bike, and faceplanting into the ground.

Little did I know this experience would have such an impact on my dating career throughout high school :)

Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I was getting dressed for a horse show at 3:00 AM once and managed to slip off the end of the bed and break my collar bone:S. The really embarrassing part was showing up and explaining to everyone that I hadn't been thrown off or kicked, I just fell off the bed[:/]

I also swam in to the side of my pool and broke my nose onceB|

Fly like a girl

Drunken bicycle riding = dislocated shoulder.

Baseball between the eyes, no glove up to catch it = Ko'd

Geeking the camera on landing = superman faceplant .

Sight-seeing on a curvy mountain road = totaled truck off the side of the mountain and down the steep embankment.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Sight-seeing on a curvy mountain road = totaled truck off the side of the mountain and down the steep embankment.

Oh yeah? I broke my tib and fib in my left leg riding Heeley's in my kitchen:P:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I'd raced MX for about 12+ years and despite several nasty crashes, I'd never broken a bone. At one particular race, I was bangin' handlebars with one rider from start to finish...we were fightin' for 1st place. Though I didn't fall and was never hit anywhere but in the hands and forearms, I ended the race with three broken ribs...:(...braggin' rights not included.

"T'was ever thus."

Oh yeah? I broke my tib and fib in my left leg riding Heeley's in my kitchen:P:D:D

AMAZING how those things happen, isn't it? :)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

My first jumping injury. Ft. Bragg, NC. 1978. Drunk, trying to impress my buddy's wife. Jumped from a swing set. Did not PLF. My ankle sounded like when you crack all your knuckles all at one time. It took the Army medical system 3 days to find out that my ankle wasn't the main problem. My leg was broke.

Worked out good for me, the profile lasted until after I got out. ;)

Peace,
-Jeff.

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Two come to mind:

In first grade I caught my pecker in my zipper (ouch).

One day I was out barefoot waterskiing, skied all day, fell a bunch of times and threw out my back wiping down the boat, that one ended up in the ER and a couple weeks on the couch stoned outta my mind on Vicodyn and Valium.

1. Kinda bad bike accident while wearing a tube top. I guess I have a bad habit of not wearing appropriate protective attire. Close head injury, broken arm, and road rash that was NOT fun!!!!!!

2. Kickball is dangerous - broke my arm in 7th grade. Totally annoyed the principal - Sister Luicille Marie - by interrupting her day of torturing small harmless catholic students.

Wow--where to begin? Butt naked after getting out of the shower after gym class jumped up and swung from the chinup bar. Face planted after trying to land on my slippery wet feet and my front tooth slid across the floor.
Fell asleep on my motorcycle afer not sleeping for 24 hours and then worked a double. Hit a telephone pole. Woke up just in time to avoid running my face into it. Major shoulder trama.
More recently, and more dumber, installed gutter screens on a hot day. The roof was so hot you couldn't touch it for more than a few seconds. Burned my butt while sitting on it. (My wife wanted to take a picture of it, but I thoughtfully declined.)
I"ll stop now.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

was up skiing this year and a kid about 16 went ripping by me on a snow board, totally out of control and crashed, ski patrol showed up and hauled him off. later that day a ski patrol freind came by and said, remember that kid on the board, yeah, well he tore his butthole....oowwwch...
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I was sitting at my desk at work. Like all desk chairs, mine had the ability to swivel. For some reason when someone called my name, instead of swiveling the chair around, I twisted my torso. This resulted in torn tissue between my ribs. The pain was brutal. Breathing was brutal. I spent 2 weeks in a reclining chair stoned out of my mind on pain meds. When I returned to work, my smartass co-workers had installed an old car seatbelt on my chair.:D

As a kid i never wore a helmet and was outside all summer biking, rollerblading etc...never was injured except for a scrape here or bruise there.

In 8th grade we took a field trip to a bowling alley and at the end of my first game I tripped myself and fell forward. I used the bowling ball to stop my fall and broke my hand near the base of my thumb. The sad part was I was in a youth bowling league for like 2 or 3 years before. I've always been sort of a daredevil yet my only serious injury in my whole life was a bowling accident:D

Chris

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

1. When I was twelve, a girl carrying a hockeystick suddenly stopped in her tracks as she realised she had forgotten something inside and whirled around. I was walking behind her just about to overtake her and she caught me a good one square on the eyesocket.
Strangest thing is that SHE started crying as I sat on the ground wondering what the hell just happened.

2. When at secondary school, the road I cycled every day was cobbled and went downhill at approximately 7-10%. After a nice day at school, I was going downhill at full speed when a little bar which keeps the mudflap in place vibrated loose. Suddenly my front wheel stopped and the rest of the bike rotated over it, launching me into the air.
I landed just like you always see in them cartoons, with my chin first and just as I was thinking "well, that was nt so bad" the bicycle hit me on the top of my head slamming my chin once more into the pavement and turning off the lights.

I've got more, especially of cycling but I'll stop now..
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I once flew my Stilleto into a parked 182 (that I'd recently pulled out of the hanger and put in that exact spot:S). Did a good number on the plane and also my tib and knee. And now I've got video proof that I'm an idiot:S:o

I got nuthin

Glad to see that some other people have had some embarrassing injuries. Last Tuesday I was at work putting together the lighting rig for the Poison American tour, I had just come back from lunch, so I was stretching a little to get ready for some lifting, I stretched my back and heard a pop, then instantly my legs gave out. The worse pain I have felt in quite some time. Turn out that I dislocated 3 vertebrae which pinched a bunch of nerves in my back. I would not have felt so dumb if it happened while working, but the fact that it was while stretching to avoid injury makes me just feel like a total imbecile

1987, Mt. Virgine, Italy: Playing volleyball at the support center in town. Went after a bad hit, tried to roll through it and didn't *quite* make it. 3rd degree A/C separation that took about 6 hours in surgery to fix.

1993, Otterbach, Germany: My one-and-only bull ride. Separated the floating ribs and broke the 3 ribs above that. ANYTHING involving movement of my torso (including breathing) was not much fun at all for about 4 weeks...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Glad to see that some other people have had some embarrassing injuries. Last Tuesday I was at work putting together the lighting rig for the Poison American tour, I had just come back from lunch, so I was stretching a little to get ready for some lifting, I stretched my back and heard a pop, then instantly my legs gave out. The worse pain I have felt in quite some time. Turn out that I dislocated 3 vertebrae which pinched a bunch of nerves in my back. I would not have felt so dumb if it happened while working, but the fact that it was while stretching to avoid injury makes me just feel like a total imbecile

Wow :P
That is seriously bad luck dude. Sorry to hear that.

My most embarassing injury was showing off at a stadium motorcross event some years ago....

I pulled a big air on a table top for the crowd (the race had finished and I had come second).

I binned it and highsided the bike on landing.

Broke my ankle and hurt my wrist :S
it hurt...lots...and I had to be carried off the track B|

Drunken fall= head injury :$ nose dived into coffee table while intoxicated, sliced open my forehead, broken nose, 2 black eyes, lots of blood and a fair amount of stiches.... that one sucked to explain haha.

"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

Drunken fall= head injury :$ nose dived into coffee table while intoxicated, sliced open my forehead, broken nose, 2 black eyes, lots of blood and a fair amount of stiches.... that one sucked to explain haha.

Unfortunately, those injuries and reason why are pretty standard where I grew up...a small college town...:D:D:D...You would see all kinds of things and if it wasn't sports related it was drunken behavior related...:ph34r:...Guaranteed...

~R+R:)...Ok, so I have fallen down a few times...but I never broke anything or had to have stitches...at least not yet...;)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Two years ago I passed out on the exercise bike at the gym (who said exercise was good for you :D) and headbutted the controll pannel with full force. The resulting black eye was so severe that my husband (then boyfriend) who used to box competitively has never seen anything like that before. He said that the worst thing was is to endure the dirty looks he got when we were out in public together while my face was healing.:D

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."