skymama

Where is your favorite city to visit?

And why? You can only pick one. Would you want to live there?

My pick is London. I've been there three times and love it more each time. I like the big city, cultural events, shopping, museums, the history, Pubs, sporting events and the people are nice too. I don't know if I'd totally want to move there because I'd miss my family, but I sure would like to have an apartment there. Now if the exchange rate for Americans was only a little better. [:/]
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Queenstown, NZ. No question about it.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Why do you like it? (Kris, you can answer too!)

I love to travel and am always looking for new places to put on the list.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Why do you like it? (Kris, you can answer too!)

I love to travel and am always looking for new places to put on the list.

Because, despite the fact that it is a "tourist" town, it's actually very quiet. And if you stay on Fern Hill, you can look out over Lake Wakatipu as the sun comes up and it's one of the most beautiful sights you'll ever see.

Plus, it's within driving distance of other beautiful locations like Glenorchy, Te Anau and Dunedin. Te Anau not only has the gorgeous lake and glow worm caves, it also has the Fiordlands National Park that's excellent for walking, hiking and/or camping. Plus, I distinctly remember hearing a tandem factory dropping customers near the south end of the lake.

Oh, and the people are wonderfully friendly. I didn't have one bad experience in Queenstown and the surrounding areas. Well, unless you count the stomach bug I arrived with. ;)
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Deland, cause your there

Have you ever been there? If you had, I doubt you'd say that! :ph34r:

I don't live there anyway. ;)

I L-O-V-E Charleston, SC!

I love Battery Row, the houses, the haunted grave yards, the food, the shops, the plantations, the people, the ocean, the trees and the pace! :)

"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Vancouver, British Columbia is my favorite city. My wife's family is from B.C. and most of them live in or around Vancouver so I have visited many many times and been to just about every area. Having grown up mostly in the country or away from big cities I usually don't fare well when in them and I get a little clausterphobic. Vancouver to me is beautiful and clean compared to many other cities I have visited. One can be right at sea level watching float planes come in and go and simultaneously see beautiful snow capped mountains surounding you. The city is vsually beautiful with so much to see, awesome restaurants and good clean air coming in off the north pacific. They have great local beers, good sports and you can be out of the city into the wild in no time. Plus you can hop on a ferry with your car and head over to Vancouver Island fairly easily too. I need to mention Stanley Park and Granville Island too as those are must go to places. Vancouver would be my first choice, followed up by Portland... I am very biased towards the whole northwest though. I just feel it in my bones, it feels natural and like home to me.

My wife and I are discussing moving north within the next few years or maybe sooner. We are bidding are time for the right opportunity.

Cheers,
-SebB|

Why do I have to pick ONE??

Chicago - except in the winter.
San Francisco.
Doolin, Ireland.
and then there's this little city right on the St. Johns river...nice downtown restaurants and bars...good shopping....close to Deland not too far from Z-Hills....:P

That's a tough question, but I guess I'll say New Orleans. It's such a dark and romantic city. I love walking around the Garden District at night in the rain, or walking in City Park during the day in the rain, or walking through the French Quarter in the rain... And I love the swamps around that area, and the Mississippi River...

I seriously considered moving there before, but it didn't seem like a good idea at the time. I'd still consider it though, if I was going to move again. (Though I'll most likely move back to Austin when I get ready to move.)

And I can't believe you thought the people in London were nice. :P I couldn't believe how rude the people were when I went there. But it was probably just a cultural thing, with me being from Texas. It is an interesting city though.

Neat thread - thanks.

Å, Norway. It's a small village near the end of the Lofoten Islands, north of the Arctic Circle.

Live there, no. Spend 4-6 summer months there - writing, hiking, cycling, kayaking, yes.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Interesting...not a lot of people I have ever run into would even know the name of Bodo....I got to go in the winter of 1977.. not so much fun.. but the few days in the SAS Hotel there were...quite memorable:)

:D
Had drinks at the top of the SAS last time I was in Bodø, June 2006. Never have stayed there. Usually stay at the hostel before heading over to the Lofotens.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

My pick is London. I've been there three times and love it more each time. I like the big city, cultural events, shopping, museums, the history, Pubs, sporting events and the people are nice too. I don't know if I'd totally want to move there because I'd miss my family, but I sure would like to have an apartment there. Now if the exchange rate for Americans was only a little better. [:/]

Atlanta - A lot of my friends are there - I might would live there, if the state would let me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Karlskrona, Sweden. I lived there for 6 months a long time ago. Small but beautiful city and the Swedes are great people. Great food and lots of nice ocean locales nearby.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Wow, I never imagined Norway would be mentioned in this thread, but those pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them!

Such different replies so far, I'm finding this thread interesting!

Norway is a beautiful place. I got to spend a few days there, not near enough. Scandinavia is my favorite part of Europe. Sweden and Denmark were beautiful as well.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Hmm. It's tough to narrow it down because I haven't ever been to a place that I didn't find something to like. Leaving out major cities (like Los Angeles and D.C.) I'll put some smaller gems that I love.

1) Santa Barbara - lived there for four years and love it. The climate and the people.
2) Flagstaff, AZ - what a gorgeous place, and a lot of fun to be had (for the single person)
3) Durango, CO - Like Flagstaff, only a little less pretty but with a more compact downtown area.
4) Cambria, CA - peace and quiet and a lot of charm.
5) Glenwood Springs, CO (okay, pretty much anyplace from Glenwood to Denver - the drive alone is worth it)
6) Hampton, VA - there was something I just really liked about the vibe there - not the crowds of Virginia Beach
7) Fredericksburg, VA - historical and beautiful.

My wife is hotter than your wife.