MrFreefall383

Fitness Freaks Update - June 27-July 3

Couldn't post it earlier because we've been busy with St. Peter's Fiesta around here, including the infamous Greasy Pole. A bunch of drunks try to cross a telephone pole suspended over the harbor by a large platform. The pole, as the name suggests, is very slick. At the end is a flag pole and a red flag. Anyone who gets to the flag moves on to the next round, but that's usually not many. More often than not, it results in nasty injuries, and we're put out there to maintain security and prevent more serious injury if someone messes up. It's a 4+ hour event everyday of the weekend, so I've been rather tied up.

That said, I'm still working out like nuts. In fact, I managed to come up with a formal plan for the rest of this week, Sunday to Sunday, as far as what I'm doing for my health. Taking into consideration lifting, cycling, swimming, running, and ab work, and what days I'm working and not working, I think the schedule looks good. I guess I'll find out for sure when I finish the week. On the other hand, whether it works or not, I'm sure the CO would be impressed to see such a clear plan, and would definitely follow through on his suggestion of making me the station's fitness trainer. And that will definitely go a long way toward getting the career I want in the Coast Guard. That and my work ethic, I'm pretty sure I can get anywhere I want to go.

Who else is still working at becoming a straight up badass?
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

That's awesome, good to hear! B|

I'm about to go get my workout gear on right now and head out. ;) Yesterday I was going to head out but we had family issues. Had to keep my lil' bro entertained here at the house so he wouldn't entertain the idea of driving home yet. He's had a shitty week and downed about 1/4 of our bottle of JD so I wanted to make sure i kept him talking and drinking water for a few hours...

Anyhoo, it was worth it. It is SO dang hot here, I need a gym with AC or I'm definitely not getting on the treadmill here at home and my sunburn isn't healed enough to go walk my 5 mile loops yet...

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Well, I finally made a jump yesterday, and aside from a funnelled exit, it went really well. No fall rate issues, no struggling. I was able to just relax and fly my slot instead of fighting gravity. Not a big deal for a lot of people, but I've had fall rate issues since I started jumping 12 years ago. Usually, I'm concentrating so hard on not sinking out of a formation. And last year, I had to adjust to flying at a lower weight and being "floaty." Anyway, its nice finally being comfortable enough in my body to just fly it- I feel like I spent a long time fighting my body and trying to fly in spite of it if that makes any sense at all! Yeah, I still have work to do; its just nice to see it paying off in different ways! :)

Well, I finally made a jump yesterday, and aside from a funnelled exit, it went really well. No fall rate issues, no struggling. I was able to just relax and fly my slot instead of fighting gravity. Not a big deal for a lot of people, but I've had fall rate issues since I started jumping 12 years ago. Usually, I'm concentrating so hard on not sinking out of a formation. And last year, I had to adjust to flying at a lower weight and being "floaty." Anyway, its nice finally being comfortable enough in my body to just fly it- I feel like I spent a long time fighting my body and trying to fly in spite of it if that makes any sense at all! Yeah, I still have work to do; its just nice to see it paying off in different ways! :)

That's great to hear! B| I always had fallrate issues too. So much that I declined sooo many jumps because I thought I'd mess them up. :S Ah wells, it lead to a bunch of solos, and I enjoyed those a bunch anyhoo.
~Jaye

49 miles from the 21st to the 29th. Uncounted amounts of altitude changes up and down.

Now resting knee that popped something and hoping to be back on the trail later this week, fires depending.

That's some amazing mileage logged! B|

Take care of that knee; hope you're back up and out again soon.
~Jaye

Down another couple of pounds. The jumpsuit is somewhere close to comfortable again (thank you bev-suit spandex!). Was supposed to go jumping Sunday and do my recurrency, but family stuff got in the way. Dammit, I want to get current again!!!

Congrats on the pounds off...damn wish I could wear a Bev suit. :P
~Jaye

Sunday was a swimming and very light lifting day, yesterday was supposed to be a mid-weight lifting and ab day, but I had to do non-skid all day instead. Ah, the life of a Coastie. It was a workout though, so I can't say I sat around on my ass all day. Today I said fuck it, and worked out no matter who said otherwise. Ran 3 miles in 21:57, 7:19 pace, then 50 reps on the Leg Press at level 8, whatever that is on this machine, have yet to find out. Then I did 50x2 Squats with two 20lb weights in my hands. Then did 200 Crunches, 100 Flutterkicks, and 1 minute of Swimmers. Tomorrow is another swimming day with some lifting and ab work, and Thursday is a cycling day. Finally got all my sign-offs, so I'm just studying for my exam board on Saturday and doing uniform maintenance. Should be one hell of a week for fitness. And the CO will definitely be seeing my fitness plan tomorrow, and we'll see what he says about making me the HPC.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Lazy walk around the neighborhood on Sunday, and good solid cardio workouts yesterday and today at the gym.

Saw a sports medicine doc about my shoulder this morning... exam doesn't indicate a rotator cuff injury (yay!) but she can't rule out a labrum tear (again ... this is the same shoulder I had labrum surgery on four years ago). Rather than jump straight to an MRI, she's referred me to PT for the next few weeks for shoulder therapy and core strengthening. So, I'm looking at it as bonus personal training for a relatively low cost (I only pay 10% with my insurance plan). :D:D Hopefully, things were just strained and stretched and PT will help out.

Still stalled out at the same weight, but I'm logging my food in preparation for an appointment with my nutritionist in two weeks. Not being obsessive about it, just jotting things down in a notebook so I have something to reference when I talk to her.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Sunday was a swimming and very light lifting day, yesterday was supposed to be a mid-weight lifting and ab day, but I had to do non-skid all day instead. Ah, the life of a Coastie. It was a workout though, so I can't say I sat around on my ass all day. Today I said fuck it, and worked out no matter who said otherwise. Ran 3 miles in 21:57, 7:19 pace, then 50 reps on the Leg Press at level 8, whatever that is on this machine, have yet to find out. Then I did 50x2 Squats with two 20lb weights in my hands. Then did 200 Crunches, 100 Flutterkicks, and 1 minute of Swimmers. Tomorrow is another swimming day with some lifting and ab work, and Thursday is a cycling day. Finally got all my sign-offs, so I'm just studying for my exam board on Saturday and doing uniform maintenance. Should be one hell of a week for fitness. And the CO will definitely be seeing my fitness plan tomorrow, and we'll see what he says about making me the HPC.

All looking good, good luck to you on becoming HPC. ;)
~Jaye

Lazy walk around the neighborhood on Sunday, and good solid cardio workouts yesterday and today at the gym.

Saw a sports medicine doc about my shoulder this morning... exam doesn't indicate a rotator cuff injury (yay!) but she can't rule out a labrum tear (again ... this is the same shoulder I had labrum surgery on four years ago). Rather than jump straight to an MRI, she's referred me to PT for the next few weeks for shoulder therapy and core strengthening. So, I'm looking at it as bonus personal training for a relatively low cost (I only pay 10% with my insurance plan). :D:D Hopefully, things were just strained and stretched and PT will help out.

Still stalled out at the same weight, but I'm logging my food in preparation for an appointment with my nutritionist in two weeks. Not being obsessive about it, just jotting things down in a notebook so I have something to reference when I talk to her.

Good to hear that injury isn't as bad as it could have been! :o And that's the best attitude to take with PT. It's just a pro helping you get healthier, and it's cheaper than a personal trainer if you have insurance. :P
~Jaye

2.2 miles walked/jogged today...same yesterday. Felt good to do a little stress relief prior to classes...now if the damn exams go as desired....:D

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Just got back from the gym. Better late than never. B|

Did a round on the Lifefitness machines, then 30 minutes variable on the treadmill. Not much, but I had just eaten dinner and I didn't want to show it to everyone. :P:D

~Jaye

I had an upper body workout with the trainer last night and man oh man did I feel PATHETIC! He said it was an especially hard workout and he was also "testing" me, but there was more than one instance when I could not BUDGE the weight he started with at all! I hate it when he has to drop the weight for me! [:/] Still, keeping things in perspective, I doubt I could have done half as much just a couple of months ago. I need to work my upper body a little harder between personal training sessions though. I can do a pretty good leg workout on my own, but I'm less focused with my upper body workouts.

And time to 'fess up- the July 4th goal? I'm exactly where I was at when we started!

And time to 'fess up- the July 4th goal? I'm exactly where I was at when we started!

So am I. [:/] It's all due to eating. I couldn't possibly workout enough to end up in a calorie deficit the way we cook and eat around here. :S>:(

I'm going back to the beginning. Back to my 'fitday.com' food profile back in June of '07, when I dropped all of that weight so fast. I'm going to eat the same stuff I did back then. That's the only way the scale is going to budge for me.
~Jaye

I hear ya! My workouts are helping me maintain my current weight but unless/ until I start cutting calories and paying more attention to what I eat, I won't lose any more. I am comfortable with my body and my size right now and I'm happy with my workouts but I would still like to lose a little more weight and get my body fat % into a healthier range.

Truthfully, most of my weight loss was through diet (and not healthy sensible dieting either:S) before I started working out seriously- I couldn't have worked out the way I do now eating as little as I did those first few months. So I'm actually happy with maintaining my weight and building and toning muscles without starving or depriving myself. Plus, I've kept the weight off for almost 2 years now and I feel like I might have finally broken that whole cycle of losing then regaining the weight (and then some) that I've been on my whole adult life! ;)

I guess that's my way of saying don't beat yourself up too bad and don't starve yourself. You ARE making progress, its just slower than you want it to be. I've also read that its normal to lose a lot of weight early on then level off for several months before you start losing again.

So am I. [:/] It's all due to eating. I couldn't possibly workout enough to end up in a calorie deficit the way we cook and eat around here. :S>:(

I'm going back to the beginning. Back to my 'fitday.com' food profile back in June of '07, when I dropped all of that weight so fast. I'm going to eat the same stuff I did back then. That's the only way the scale is going to budge for me.

Acme, I'm sorry to hear this as you had a goal and i'm sure you are dissapointed that it was not attained. I did not keep track of most of the threads so I did not see the updates usually. I like how you have at least admitted you know what the problem is. That be the start.
Back in December when I wanted to shed some pounds without killing myself working out I realized I was going to have to cut calories somewhere.
It was not easy to find the places to cut the calories, but I did it and well it has worked for me so far, a little too well at times.

I did not look at the website you said you were going to go back to, but you already know the formula for weight loss and that is expel more than you take in.
Read the labels of what you eat. Maybe switch brands of some of the things you eat. Find alternatives to guilty indulgences.
Most importantly realize that weight loss, and making your body look different than it currently is, takes time. Time being months, and even years, and lots and lots of hard work.

If you gain 5 lbs a year from age 20, by age 30 you have added 50 lbs of weight to your body. This is an average statistic out there, not specific to anyone. How long do you honestly think it will take to lose 10 years of weight?

Getting into the right frame of mind is going to make or break it.

Stay the course, just realize you may need to take some detours and try different roads along the way.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Yeah I feel great having kept off a solid 25 pounds for the several months now, so I know that I have learned how to maintain. B|

I need another solid push to get the next 30 off. The gym is doing another 3 month 'Biggest Loser' contest, but it's $199 that would be a real strain on the budget at the moment.

I keep telling myself 'I lost this 25/30 by myself before, I can do it again!!' B|

~Jaye

If you gain 5 lbs a year from age 20, by age 30 you have added 50 lbs of weight to your body. This is an average statistic out there, not specific to anyone. How long do you honestly think it will take to lose 10 years of weight?

Getting into the right frame of mind is going to make or break it.

Stay the course, just realize you may need to take some detours and try different roads along the way.

WOW! That's some great perspective! I guess I never thought of it that way -5 pounds a year can pile on, and will take time to get back off. I will stay the course, thanks for the words of wisdom. B|
~Jaye

I had my birthday this past weekend and pretty much drank from Thursday to Sunday. I made it for though by eating less calories during the day.

I did end up actually losing 3 lbs.

So far I am down 13 lbs in 7 weeks. Starting to see bigger changes. Stomach is getting smaller and flatter and when i did my BF assessment, my BF has gone down everywhere all around my body.

B|

I've been working really hard this week so I haven't done cardio in a few days. But I'll be getting back to it tomorrow AND i start scuba certification training next monday as well :)

Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

So far I am down 13 lbs in 7 weeks. Starting to see bigger changes. Stomach is getting smaller and flatter and when i did my BF assessment, my BF has gone down everywhere all around my body.

Awright!! B|

i start scuba certification training next monday as well :)

Oh man, enjoy that! :)
HAVE FUN! B|
~Jaye

I don't believe it! I'm at the lightest weight I've been in 5 years at least...:o

Happens every time I drink liquor. The next day I'm at least 2 pounds lighter (I know, water weight from dehydration and all...but I also don't eat when I drink, and that's prolly some of it, too. :D)

Yesterday I went to the close gym and did a round on the upper body circuit and then went to do my treadmill and some how I just couldn't get past 3 minutes. I felt like I had run a marathon and couldn't my stupid ol' legs didn't want to keep moving at all. I think it had something to do with the low grade fever I had had earlier in the day...father in law said I looked really pale. [:/]

But I'm happy to be lighter, anyhoo!:ph34r:

~Jaye

Lighter is good! Good job!

As planned, I passed my weekly fitness plan to my CO, and he looked it over and was impressed. He knows I'm organized now, he knows I push myself pretty hard, and he said if he sees the fitness plan on the Coast Guard's Personal Fitness Plan form, he'd be happy to put me in the Assistant Health Programs Coordinator position, so now I have to find out who the lead HPC is. Don't remember that title in the chain of command. Anyway, the last few days have been insane workouts. Swimming two days in a row, lots of lifting and ab work, and a bike ride today roughly 30 miles long. Abs still need plenty of work, and the bike is fighting me for some reason, but everything else rocks. Building muscle, trimming fat, and gaining tons of endurance.

The big goal here is joining one of the special law enforcement teams in the Coast Guard, either Taclet, Ledet, MSST, or MSRT. MSRT is the toughest of the group, Taclet is right up there, followed by Mistys and Ledet. I'm shooting for MSST or Taclet, with MSRT as my long reach. I certainly benefit from being at this station too, because one of our engineers was prior Taclet, and our XO was in a senior position in the Boston MSST, and he said he'd be happy to send me down there for a day to shadow them and see what they do and how they do it. Updating my fitness plan on Sunday, and I'll keep updating in here.