GogglesnTeeth

New Ubuntu Linux Distro today!!!

I've been using Ubuntu since 6.04 - Ubuntu 7.10 on my main machine, Xubuntu 7.10 on an older laptop. My mom is even running Ubuntu.

I'm going to wait a couple days - last update the servers were very slow though the first weekend with all the traffic.

Since its a LTS version I don't expect any major changes - anything cool? What I'm really waiting for is XRandR 1.3 - its supposed to support xinerama/twinview across 2 video card.

I downloaded the Hardy Heron Beta release a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it... I had a bit more experience in what I was doing and was able to setup my Windows shares (I use my linux box primarily as a file and print server... for the other computers in the house)

I've had very few problems with it... and one of these days I may try to setup a Twonky media server on the linux box so I can pull the processing off of my windows machine... I might even consider pluging my ATSC tuner card into it so I can use it to record OTA TV programs...)

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Tried it when Hardy Heron came out, but there's something wonky with my PC. I can't install Ubuntu or any Ubuntu based distro. It hangs somewhere during the setup, and I can't get past it. I've tried the alternate CD and many many different startup options.

So, I went back to Debian, which is okay but not very exciting or new.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I was having more than a bit of trouble too. Eventually I formated 2 partitions on my new hard drive (from my wife for fathers day) and installed Ubuntu on the larger of the two with the smaller as a swap file. Only took 10 gig for the both of them..... now when I boot the computer, i hit the bios and tell it to boot from that drive, and there is Ubuntu all by itself. Works good!!! New toys for free!!!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

Hi all
So I just updated the linux partition of my laptop to the newest version of Ubuntu.
Hardy Heron.
So far so good!!!
Anyone else?
Thoughts???
Blue Ones,
GnT

Please let me know if you hear of a way to make an Ubuntu partition on a Mac that already has OSX Leopard & Windows. I've found ways to do this that would involve erasing and reinstalling the existing partitions, but I don't want to go that route.

I've tried the Ubuntu bootable LiveCD, and I like the look and feel of it and would like to use it more often. Too bad you can't save settings or connect to the internet with a LiveCD, or I would use it much more often.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Comming from South Africa, I cannot but smile, when reading the name of this "Ubuntu" ..... very apt name for the style and mindset behind the OS B|

"A traveller through a country would stop at a village and he didn't have to ask for food or for water. Once he stops, the people give him food, entertain him. That is one aspect of Ubuntu but it will have various aspects. Ubuntu does not mean that people should not address themselves. The question therefore is: Are you going to do so in order to enable the community around you be able to improve?"

Hi all
So I just updated the linux partition of my laptop to the newest version of Ubuntu.
Hardy Heron.
So far so good!!!
Anyone else?
Thoughts???
Blue Ones,
GnT

Please let me know if you hear of a way to make an Ubuntu partition on a Mac that already has OSX Leopard & Windows. I've found ways to do this that would involve erasing and reinstalling the existing partitions, but I don't want to go that route.

I've tried the Ubuntu bootable LiveCD, and I like the look and feel of it and would like to use it more often. Too bad you can't save settings or connect to the internet with a LiveCD, or I would use it much more often.

I have a copy of Ubuntu running as a Virtual Machine using Fusion on my iMac if that counts...:)
I don't do anything with it though...I don't know how to log in as root to install some tools or something that I need to set up.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

:ph34r:

Don't worry Amazon, your stock is still safe.....

Actually I sold all those shares and options a couple years or so ago...that shit was the biggest dog in my portfolio.. so when I left....I dumped it all when it hit a bit of a high.

I didnt do too bad considering it had sat there within a dollar of when it last split:S

I just dont have time in my life to "play" with operating systems anymore....

I turn my computer on... and it does what I want it to....when I want it to without the problems most people have with theirs, and I have been using Vista and Longhorn for YEARS:ph34r::ph34r:

can you run the same programs on linux as you can on M/soft?
I'm thinking og gettting an ASUS EEE, for when i am traveling the world, and would like to install my software on it, for email, browsing, pic uploads etc...
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Open Office work in windows as well, just in case people want a look at how a FREE bit of software works.

I will give them a hint (You won't be paying again!)

I have been using Linux on and off since the mid 90's and 8.04LTS is just great.

There were a few bugs with updates hanging up at first, but that was easily solved by going to terminal/Sudo

BTW, anyone who has not tried it should, just set it up, and then compare to what it takes to set up a windows system, let alone a network.

Did I mention all the software can be had for free?B|

A friend at work just picked up an eee PC 4G - its an amazing little computer. Very quick boot and plenty responsive for 2 pounds. He ordered it with a 16GB SD card for primary storage.

You will not be able to install your WinBlows software on it but it will read all the formats - it comes with open office and firefox. I cannot remember what mail reader it used. Any multimedia will work.

I've been using Ubuntu for some time. Ubuntu on the main computer, Xubuntu on an older labtop and my Nokia 770 uses a custom debian system. I have a M$ WinBlowsXP partition just to play an RC flight simulator - its my last holdout software package, until Linux supports DirectX or developers use openGL - games are a problem, everything else works great.

Open Office work in windows as well, just in case people want a look at how a FREE bit of software works.

I will give them a hint (You won't be paying again!)

I have been using Linux on and off since the mid 90's and 8.04LTS is just great.

There were a few bugs with updates hanging up at first, but that was easily solved by going to terminal/Sudo

BTW, anyone who has not tried it should, just set it up, and then compare to what it takes to set up a windows system, let alone a network.

Did I mention all the software can be had for free?B|

Did they ever get it working right with widescreen displays? I know EFT and FERN didn't worth a damn.

LINUX is fun to mess with.. but I still need my games. ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

How about mp3's and video games, ect?

Mp3, DVD etc are licensed technology - most linux distributions will not come with them out of the box since they are free. But the first time you try to play one it will prompt you to download the codex (and warn you about the legality) - or, there are several package told to get all the codex at one time. Automatix is popular for Ubuntu.

Games are more difficult. Some work, most do not. There is WINE that will work for some - Cedega is paid software that makes efforts to work with some popular games. There are some games that are open source that are pretty good.