JohnRich

Movie: "Hancock"

I went in with pretty low expectation, but actually found it to be quite good. The first half he has an alcohol problem which was hilarious (not that alcoholism is funny) but the fact that he flies drunk is one of the most hysterical things i have seen in a super hero movie.

I didn't think it delivered on the promise of a Will Smith, 4th of July, comedy / action movie.

It's not a parody.
It's not funny enough to be a comedy.
It doesn't have enough real action to be an action movie.
The special effects aren't special and they didn't have that great of an effect.
The back story is very cheaply told rather than shown.

It starts out ok in what looks like it's going to be a parody, but then turns into a "real" story that makes the whole thing fall flat.

All in all, just not that great.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I know! Wasn't that fun! Good thing to do on a rainy weekend. I just wish Wanted had been a better flick. That show could have been a lot better. :S I'm thinking all the stupid people are probably practicing bending bullets on their stupid friends now. :D:D

I know! Wasn't that fun! Good thing to do on a rainy weekend. I just wish Wanted had been a better flick. That show could have been a lot better. :S I'm thinking all the stupid people are probably practicing bending bullets on their stupid friends now. :D:D

...agreed, not as good as they could have made it.

I'm thinking all the stupid people are probably practicing bending bullets on their stupid friends now. :D:D

.... well it will be stupid people population control :D
I did like the gun that shot around corners though, would love to play with that!!
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

I've been hearing all this controversy over the plot twist in the movie...and seeing as how I'm not gonna have the money to go see it and not knowing is killing (i'm just a very curious person) would some one please PM me and tell what this ever so controversial plot twist is?

I've been hearing all this controversy over the plot twist in the movie...and seeing as how I'm not gonna have the money to go see it and not knowing is killing (i'm just a very curious person) would some one please PM me and tell what this ever so controversial plot twist is?

I think the controversy was over the fact that he played an alcoholic bum. You can see that from the previews that he plays that in the movie. If people didn't like his portrayal I think they should have just not gone to see the movie then. Stupid! I thought Will Smith did a great job in the movie.

I didn't think it delivered on the promise of a Will Smith, 4th of July, comedy / action movie.

It's not a parody.
It's not funny enough to be a comedy.
It doesn't have enough real action to be an action movie.
The special effects aren't special and they didn't have that great of an effect.
The back story is very cheaply told rather than shown.

It starts out ok in what looks like it's going to be a parody, but then turns into a "real" story that makes the whole thing fall flat.

All in all, just not that great.

Quade, I agree with everything you just said. I would like to add, that it had a good premise, and they could have done something that could have been a really good movie, if they had spend more money on a decent screen writer who knows how to tell a good story.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Well, come on, it wasn't "PS. I love you" or anything. :D:D It wasn't the best movie of all time. But it was entertaining and enjoyable. I didn't leave the theater saying to myself that I just wasted all that time viewing a sucky movie. I left the theater chuckling and having a good time. It's just entertainment. It gave all of us some good conversation on the way home. I thought it was worth seeing. By no means was it an Oscar nomination film but I didn't think it was trying to pass for that. I took it for what it was an enjoyed it. ;)B|

Well, come on, it wasn't "PS. I love you" or anything. :D:D It wasn't the best movie of all time. But it was entertaining and enjoyable. I didn't leave the theater saying to myself that I just wasted all that time viewing a sucky movie. I left the theater chuckling and having a good time. It's just entertainment. It gave all of us some good conversation on the way home. I thought it was worth seeing. By no means was it an Oscar nomination film but I didn't think it was trying to pass for that. I took it for what it was an enjoyed it. ;)B|

I usually enjoy Will Smith's movies. I expected this movie to be as Quade said "a superhero parody/comedy". Judging from the media campaign and trailers, that seemed to be the direction the filmakers were taking it. I agree with you that the first half of the movie was entertaining. I enjoyed it up and to the point where the "big twist" happened. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). The movie at that point went from a comedy to I don't know what to call it. I don't think that twist should have been there, it confused the story.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

DUUUDE.. you have to admit though.. that one scene in prison with the two bad boys.... was worth the price of admission alone....

OK I will give you that!
Overall I would say I agree with Pre and Quade. This was one movie that I was looking forward to seeing...it fell flat.
B2

I really enjoyed it. Its a typical Will Smith July 4th movie. Action, good 1 liners, some humor, not too much plot, but there is a serious twist to the movie.

All in all it was worth the admission to the theater. Actually, I had a free ticket, but I did spend $4 for a coke, so does that count?:D

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."