crotalus01

What is the best thing to do when you are low?

Grab your hackey, hold onto it, and stare at your alti until you are safe to pull. Works for me :)

I personally will never do that again! I had a PCIT that I contribute to holding onto my pilot chute a few seconds after I extracted it....Once it comes out and I extend my arm, I have committed and it goes bye bye!;)

I don't think they meant pull it and hold it, cause that would be fucking stupid. I think this is more of a "reach and touch it, then wait as long as you safely can before you toss it."

Please keep the thread on topic, which is what to do when low :)

That'll learn you, Sparky! :P

It’s not me we are try’n “learn”. I did my dumb shit years ago and was lucky enough to survive.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've seen plenty of large guys being able to fly their body without excessively large jumpsuits. That's what I object too. The stupidly large jumpsuits. No need. Get in the tunnel and you'll be able to fly much better.

I'm a bigger guy and I've had my share of sinking out problems but in my experience, tunnel time doesn't help. Maybe it's only the tunnels I've been to but the artificially fast fall rate in a tunnel means I actually have to arch and that never happens in the sky. The problem is the tunnel operator looks at your body position and turns the fan up until everyone has a nice arch and the small guys pile on the lead to keep up. For a big guy doing larger formations, a nice tunnel perfected arch is frickin useless.

The trick is to maintain your altitude on exit, spread out, de-arch and get good at flying like that. If you swoop in and get to the point where you think you need to put the brakes on, it's already too late. When it comes to sinking out, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

My personal plan is to not get low in the first place but if I am, I'll slow fall my ass off until 2k above break off and if I'm still way low, track flat and straight and don't stop until pull time. If I'm close enough or can get close enough so I can be sure the formation will see me, I'll stick with the formation and break off as normal.

It’s not me we are try’n “learn”. I did my dumb shit years ago and was lucky enough to survive.

I guess you missed it, Sparky. It was a joke, referring to your being 'schooled' on forum etiquette. It's depressing to have to explain it. [:/]B|

(OP sez to Sparky:)

Please keep the thread on topic, which is what to do when low

------------------------------------------------------------

(Nova sez:)

That'll learn you, Sparky!
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I'm a bigger guy and I've had my share of sinking out problems but in my experience, tunnel time doesn't help. Maybe it's only the tunnels I've been to but the artificially fast fall rate in a tunnel means I actually have to arch and that never happens in the sky. The problem is the tunnel operator looks at your body position and turns the fan up until everyone has a nice arch and the small guys pile on the lead to keep up. For a big guy doing larger formations, a nice tunnel perfected arch is frickin useless.

Or, since you are paying for the time, YOU dictate what you are gonna do in the tunnel. Get some 1-on-1 coach time and make them turn the tunnel down and work on falling slower.

If you go in the tunnel to work on specifically fall rate, your coach can signal the operator to turn it down, so you can find and work on your range. It has been invaluable for me. And I'm an Anvil.;)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Grab your hackey, hold onto it, and stare at your alti until you are safe to pull. Works for me :)

I personally will never do that again! I had a PCIT that I contribute to holding onto my pilot chute a few seconds after I extracted it....Once it comes out and I extend my arm, I have committed and it goes bye bye!;)

I don't think they meant pull it and hold it, cause that would be fucking stupid. I think this is more of a "reach and touch it, then wait as long as you safely can before you toss it."

Actually what I do is pull it and put the PC in my mouth, that way all you have to do is open your mouth to deploy ;)

Really though, you are correct, I didn't mean pull it, just put your hand on your hackey and look at your altimeter, pull when you get to your number.
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Actually what I do is pull it and put the PC in my mouth, that way all you have to do is open your mouth to deploy ;)

Really though, you are correct, I didn't mean pull it, just put your hand on your hackey and look at your altimeter, pull when you get to your number.

when is it that you think you should stop tracking to do this hackey-holding?

In this instance what does it matter? Sounds to me like the person tracked back under the formation. Do you think everyone on a dive knows exactly what jump run is and knows which way to track? What if someone above you has tracked in the same direction you have and you can't see them above you? I've been disoriented by clouds more than once. My point is, if you can't rely on horizontal seperation, get some vertical seperation. I'm pretty new to this sport but I know enough that I don't want to be dumping in the middle of a formation, so I'm going to do what common sense tells me, and go low.
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

, if you can't rely on horizontal seperation, get some vertical seperation.

Why not make both better at the same time? Keep tracking until you need to pull.;)

I don't want to be dumping in the middle of a formation, so I'm going to do what common sense tells me, and go low.

Once again do both and keep tracking until pull time. When I had less jumps and went low, I have tracked and check alt. and noticed I wasnt were I should be and tracked more....Track until pull time:)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I guess you missed it, Sparky. It was a joke, referring to your being 'schooled' on forum etiquette. It's depressing to have to explain it. [:/]B|

(OP sez to Sparky:)

Please keep the thread on topic, which is what to do when low

------------------------------------------------------------

(Nova sez:)

That'll learn you, Sparky!

No I didn’t miss it but I think you did. This the “Safety and Training” forum and by saying something about the canopy he is flying there was a chance he would accept it as training and be a little bit safer. But he was having none of it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

In this instance what does it matter? Sounds to me like the person tracked back under the formation. Do you think everyone on a dive knows exactly what jump run is and knows which way to track? What if someone above you has tracked in the same direction you have and you can't see them above you? I've been disoriented by clouds more than once. My point is, if you can't rely on horizontal seperation, get some vertical seperation. I'm pretty new to this sport but I know enough that I don't want to be dumping in the middle of a formation, so I'm going to do what common sense tells me, and go low.

You illustrate my point very well.

Going back to my original post in the thread, this jump should be a wake-up call that his basic skills need work.

Giving him some hit-or-miss advice about how to deal with this is essentially saying that is okay for him to put himself and the other jumpers in this situation again.

That's poor advice.

This fellow dodged a bullet.

When he has so little situational awareness in the first place, you cannot give him any reliable plan for action. He cannot reliably execute any of the supposed plans. He can't track well, he doesn't know where to track to, he doesn't know where anybody is.

The only responsible thing to do is to tell him that he needs to back up a few steps and fix what is really broken.

No I didn’t miss it but I think you did. This the “Safety and Training” forum and by saying something about the canopy he is flying there was a chance he would accept it as training and be a little bit safer. But he was having none of it.

Sparky

I know it. You know it. He doesn't know it. Therein lies the foundation of the supposed-to-be-funny comment.

I guess I shouldn't quit my job to become a comedian. :S
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Faulknerwn, feel free to PM me about concerns you have, but to address what you posted: I am NOT scared of my canopy. I did NOT "pull high" because of canopy fear. I waved off at 3500' and pulled at 3000' or a hair below - I was saddled out at 2200' according to my Neptune.
At any rate, please PM me as I am interested in learning CRW and I know you are a big time CRW dawg. I need some advice :$

For Gods Sakes, man! You can't even find the formation or track away from it without putting other jumpers' lives in jeopardy... and now you want to do CRW!!!

Faulknerwn, feel free to PM me about concerns you have, but to address what you posted: I am NOT scared of my canopy. I did NOT "pull high" because of canopy fear. I waved off at 3500' and pulled at 3000' or a hair below - I was saddled out at 2200' according to my Neptune.
At any rate, please PM me as I am interested in learning CRW and I know you are a big time CRW dawg. I need some advice :$

For Gods Sakes, man! You can't even find the formation or track away from it without putting other jumpers' lives in jeopardy... and now you want to do CRW!!!

You should listen to this man. He has never made a mistake while skydiving, :S

Stay with the formation, spread yourself as much as possible and look to the side to keep sight of them.

At breakoff at break off alt.

If there's that much difference then you shouldn't be jumping with them until you've fixed your fall rate.

Get a slower jumpsuit, don't necessarily believe the bollocks about learning to fly slower slow, there's only so much you can do with body position and you want range up and down in addition to enjoying your jumping.

Thanks to all who have given constructive advice and not just been an asshole or tried to only insult me.
For those concerned about my canopy I am interested in learning CRW and finally found a mentor (I hope) so I am going back to jumping my SaFire 189 for the next hundred jumps or more.

Seriously, for those that were just insulting (you know who you are), that is a HUGE reason that virtually noone I jump with posts here. :(

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Seriously, for those that were just insulting (you know who you are), that is a HUGE reason that virtually noone I jump with posts here. :(

Wow... a large group with mad skilz? Cool! ;)

Seriously though, if you're ever in the area, I'd be happy to do some crw with you. We start out slow and work from there. The great thing about CRW is that there's always more to learn.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Thanks to all who have given constructive advice and not just been an asshole or tried to only insult me.

Aw, you come to this place, the stuffs gonna fly around. It's just the way it is in the forums. I think we spend most of our time insulting each other, not noobies. ;)