crotalus01

What is the best thing to do when you are low?

Stay with the formation, spread yourself as much as possible and look to the side to keep sight of them.

Ummm...you might want to re-think that, There are much more effective ways to slow fall rate than that.

At breakoff at break off alt.

This too. There are other schools of thought. The key is in the planning.

Get a slower jumpsuit, don't necessarily believe the bollocks about learning to fly slower slow, there's only so much you can do with body position

See reply #1
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

...Seriously, for those that were just insulting (you know who you are), that is a HUGE reason that virtually noone I jump with posts here. :(

Are you confusing your person and your statements in here?

Are you being overly sensitive?

Are you being overly defensive?

Dealing with life and death situations is NOT a time to be sensitive or defensive. It's a time to be open and honest with both yourself and others.

But alas, since you've run away, you won't see this.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Please keep the thread on topic, which is what to do when low :)

That'll learn you, Sparky! :P

It’s not me we are try’n “learn”. I did my dumb shit years ago and was lucky enough to survive.
Sparky
Don't we all go through that phase Sparky? When we know more than others who have forgotten more about skydiving than we have learned yet?

The OP will probably survive, 1.whatever wing loading talkbacking and all as most of us who were once on the bounce bingo lotto – Oh my god, have I become an old-timer?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Discuss it with your fellow jumpers, and not with the 'we know whats best for you' crowd here at dz.com. ;)

Yeah, especially those with less than 100 jumps that tell you to barrel roll :D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Stay with the formation, spread yourself as much as possible and look to the side to keep sight of them.

Ummm...you might want to re-think that, There are much more effective ways to slow fall rate than that.

At breakoff at break off alt.

This too. There are other schools of thought. The key is in the planning.

Get a slower jumpsuit, don't necessarily believe the bollocks about learning to fly slower slow, there's only so much you can do with body position

See reply #1

Well offer a school of thought, that's the one I've been given, but I'm open to hear another one.

On fall rate, I tried many methods including chest cup, inverse arch etc, took tunnel coaching, advice from RW coaches. None of it was as effective as setting the right initial fallrate with the right gear.

The whole spread wide with an inverse arch is IMHO the most effective way, opinions may differ, fine. Tunnel coaches disagreed with RW L.O.s and RW L.O.s had some contempt for tunnel advice. I didn't care I would have tried anything.

Bottom line is don't believe the bullshit about fixing your fallrate with the wrong gear. There's only so much you can do and once your fallrate is right you still need range above and below it, everything is harder without that range and when you have to work hard to maintain level it's a real buzz kill. You get a bad rep on loads etc. It will hold you back.

I blew so many skydives trying to "fix my fallrate", but when I fixed the range I was in with my suit things were just fine. Jumping became fun again. I have a lot of range up & down & can use it.

I don't have a lot of respect anymore for advice that doesn't start with getting in the right range (albeit after trying coaching on body position etc).

I went from utterly shit to a decent flyer. RW went from unenjoyable to fun and easy. "fix your fallrate with body position", without consideration of base fall rate w.r.t. others is poor advice.

Discuss it with your fellow jumpers, and not with the 'we know whats best for you' crowd here at dz.com. ;)

Yeah, especially those with less than 100 jumps that tell you to barrel roll :D:D:D

I represent that statement! Although I'm a 100 jump wonder, I will present my comments based on my brief experience in the sport and if I'm wrong, I will learn from the comments of those who are more enlightened!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Yeah, especially those with less than 100 jumps that tell you to barrel roll
I represent that statement! Although I'm a 100 jump wonder, I will present my comments based on my brief experience in the sport and if I'm wrong, I will learn from the comments of those who are more enlightened!If I may borrow a quote form a good friend in a recent email, perhaps you might learn more from those who have forgotten more about skydiving than you have yet learned. There is a wealth of knowledge here in these forums, and a wealth of well intentioned advice from those less knowledgeable, I would trust advice from a poster with thousands of jumps and a decade(s) + of current skydiving experience then from a lesser experienced individual.

There is no substitute for experience.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…