simplyputsi

Flash Card memory, too many to choose from?

Ok, so what can everyone tell me about flash memory cards? SD, mini SD, USB? Are there better brands that you would recommend over others?

I always was under the impression Sandisk was the standard, but what is the story on Kingston, Adata, PNY, Pq1? Others??
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Yeah, but that is my problem, why aren't they all the same??
And becaue they are not, then which ones are the best and worst?

I have a problem with reviews on the internet, but by god I'll trust a skydivers opinion anyday :ph34r::P

Maybe I should have posted this in the camera forum

Skymama's #2 stalker -

No I have a camera already, and I use sandisk in it, but well I was looking at memory today and I wondered if anyone else had reviews or suggestions to give.

I'm not neccessarily wanting it just for a camera. The mini SD is for my phone, which I have nothing for right now.

I would like to change the one for my camera if there is something out there that is better and faster than my sandisk.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Stick to Sandisk... I have never had any problems no matter the format, SD or what ever.

:)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Your camera probably only supports one flash memory format. Stick with whatever it supports. As far as brands go, SanDisk is good. If you find something cheaper you can use that too.

What kind of memory does your camera support?
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Once you've got the right format, I tend to think that storage is storage and if one brand is much more expensive than another then you're probably paying for the name.

Personally if I was getting through a lot of cards I'd buy cheap ones and just make sure I backed them up to a hard drive regularly - which of course is a smart thing to do anyway.

Ok basically the Panasonic cameras use SD or SDHC memory cards which is a specific form factor for flash memory.

The SDHC is a high capacity version of the original SD format.

MiniSD is essentially using the SD flash memory technology but in a smaller size. Typically for cellphones as you mentioned. Some of the MiniSD cards will come with an adapter allowing them to be used in regular SD sized slots such as your digital camera, but more typically for use in cardreaders for your computer.

USB SD cards are basically a SD flash memory card that can be folded and then inserted into a USB slot on your computer. The computer can then read the card directly without the use of a separate memory card reader.

Need anything else?:P

Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Once you've got the right format, I tend to think that storage is storage and if one brand is much more expensive than another then you're probably paying for the name.

For the most part this is true. The only reason to really pay a premium for flash memory is the cards that can write at faster speeds. The faster the write speed, the faster the camera can take another picture. So if you've got a camera capable of very fast burst mode writing, you'll want a fast flash card.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Need anything else?:P

yeah, more which one is better than which? Apparently they are all somewhat close enough it doesn't really matter, brand wise.

Is SDHC faster?

Ok, first verify that your camera can support SDHC. If if can that that's the standard to use for 1+ GB flash cards. Next look at the class rating of the card. Class 6 is the fastest. The class rating defines the minimum write speed. Next look at the speed rating. This defines the maximum write speed. The higher the number eg 150x the better.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

I've got 2 of the Ridata 2Gb for my 30d and 2 of the Ridata 1Gb for my Rebel...never a problem with either.

Sandisk/Kingston and PNY all have good reps - for Sandisk/Kingston you're probably paying a premium for the brand name, to be honest.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Well, there's an amazing variation in actual read/write speeds between brands and types of compact flash cards. Can't go by what the packaging says. I'm sure it's true of all types of flash memory. There are reviews online... I don't remember any particular sites off the top of my head.

I just know to avoid cheap brands because I don't like losing pictures. I've heard people say that their cameras take pictures faster with the latest and greatest technology... when in reality their cameras don't even support the higher write speeds. Reliability is going to be more important than write speed.

Dave