fabulous98

regrading 20 jumps for A licence

Hey guys just wondering with the 20 jumps you do for your A-lcence.. Do they all need to be done at the one spot or can you do say 10-15 in one and 5-10 in another place? I may possibly not have them all under my belt before i go overseas and so i would like to do as may as i can here in Australia and then head overseas to finish the rest up. Cab that be done?
cheers!

I would like to do as may as i can here in Australia and then head overseas to finish the rest up. Can that be done?

The short answer is: usually Yes.
It is not uncommon for student jumpers to make their student jumps at more than one DZ. Make sure you get all your jumps and skills properly signed-off by instructors in a logbook, then take the logbook with you. Some DZs might accept that as sufficient to let you take up where you left off (depending on how current you are/are not, i.e., how much of a time lag there will have been since your last jump). A new DZ may or may not contact your old one to verify your jumps. If you're still in the middle of your student progression, you may or may not have to undergo some refresher training; it's all up to the particular DZ.

a license is 25 jumps minium

Original poster is from Australia. A license requirements are not identical worldwide.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

which is still ridicilous.. :|

Just curious, why do you consider it ridiculous? In your opinion, should it be more? Less? Why?

Just wondering what your reasoning is.

at my dz, typically you have somewhere between 80-100 jumps, on others around here it may be in the range of 50 or so jumps; just a little more confidence you're not going to fuck yourself or others up, proved you can accomplish different tasks, have taken a written exam (like for your C-license if i'm correct!?), can pack and "un-mess" your parachute and so on..

you know how to fly a safe (!!!) pattern and know what vertical and horizontal separation is, you can hit your intended target by 50 or so feet..

just things like that. you cant accomplish that in only 25 jumps..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Just curious, why do you consider it ridiculous? In your opinion, should it be more? Less? Why?

at my dz, typically you have somewhere between 80-100 jumps, on others around here it may be in the range of 50 or so jumps; just a little more confidence you're not going to fuck yourself or others up, proved you can accomplish different tasks, have taken a written exam (like for your C-license if i'm correct!?), can pack and "un-mess" your parachute and so on..

you know how to fly a safe (!!!) pattern and know what vertical and horizontal separation is, you can hit your intended target by 50 or so feet..

all of that is pretty much accomplished in 25 jumps. the test is also written (at least where i got my A).

i agree with you that confidence comes with experience (or your a dumbass), i have been asked on jumps that i felt were too many variables than i could handle, my answer was simply no, i dont feel comfortable doing that yet.

its kept me and others safe so far.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

I did my AFF and first few solo jumps at Perris. Then I moved away to school and continued my jumping at Skydive Santa Barbara. SDSB had me do a quick refresher course and then a coach jump.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Do you have one on one coaching for all those jumps? If not then it's a moot point. Practice without critique usually leads to bad habits.

(And yes, all of that is pretty much accomplished in 25 jumps. Just because you say differently doesn't make it true.)

at my dz, typically you have somewhere between 80-100 jumps, on others around here it may be in the range of 50 or so jumps

Is that called an "A" license? What is the minimum number of jumps in which you can earn it?

In this country, an A license is a license to self supervise, not a license to go out on bigways, etc. I will certainly jump with "A" license holders, but the jump will be structured to how ever many jumps they may have. I don't think many people let that little piece of paper con them into something dangerous.

BTW, V and I never got A or B licenses. DZ's didn't require them and the first license that really mattered was the C license. With that you could instruct and do demos. ;)

So you think our structure moves people along to a Lic. to quick? That coming from a guy with 260 jumps and a Safire 2 119 @ (1.63 lbs/ft²). If you dont mind I will take your opinion with a grain of salt as I always do;):S
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

at my dz, typically you have somewhere between 80-100 jumps, on others around here it may be in the range of 50 or so jumps

Is that called an "A" license? What is the minimum number of jumps in which you can earn it?

In this country, an A license is a license to self supervise, not a license to go out on bigways, etc. I will certainly jump with "A" license holders, but the jump will be structured to how ever many jumps they may have. I don't think many people let that little piece of paper con them into something dangerous.

BTW, V and I never got A or B licenses. DZ's didn't require them and the first license that really mattered was the C license. With that you could instruct and do demos. ;)

we just have "a license"; i got mine at 61 jumps, there have been people with less, but i dont know of many.. after that, you're pretty free to do as you please, as long as you find people to jump with

there's a whole lot of jumps that are coached and have to be signed off, most are "practice" tough..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

we just have "a license"; i got mine at 61 jumps, there have been people with less, but i dont know of many.. after that, you're pretty free to do as you please,

I'm still curious to know the bare minimum # of jumps in which to earn it. Also, is that the only license in Switzerland, or do they have higher ones required for instructors or people doing demos?

as long as you find people to jump with

What, they won't let you jump alone?:o

I think any license structure is fine if people know what each license means about that person's abilities. I would never expect an A license holder to be as competent as a D licensee.:)

269 if u're already so exact and seem to like numbers..

BTW, what does my choice of canopy have to do with what we're discussing!?

I think he is referencing the low number of jumps and time in sport are a weak database to be drawing from when bagging on an entire country's licensing system. The canopy reference is because that wingloading of an eliptical canopy puts you in the expert range, but your jump numbers do not. Perhaps, he feels you should inspect your own decisions before questioning others.

My opinion, I'm sure JD will have one as well.

I'm sure I was supposed to put a smiley here somewhere, but not sure where.

Jump more, post less!

You question a very successful skydiving rating system about progressing its student to fast, but you yoursefl are jumping a canopy at a WL that any normal person in skydiving would question, you do the math/connect the dots. But Top summed it up pretty well!

Perhaps, he feels you should inspect your own decisions before questioning others.

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!